WI - Jason Pero, 14, shot & killed by police, Ashland County, 8 Nov 2017

More details emerge about police shooting of teenage boy in northern Wisconsin

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime/more-details-emerge-about-police-shooting-of-teenage-boy-in/article_e5587702-d3c7-5fe4-84dd-9e28709eaa5d.html

"He got murdered out in front of the house here," Alan Pero said in a telephone interview. "He's a boy. There's warning shots. There's Tasers. There's pepper spray. You don't go right on a 14-year-old kid and go for the kill zone."

"I'm really having a hard time keeping my anger in," his wife added. "You don't come up to a 14-year-old boy and pull a gun on him and just fire.... That's baloney. We're asking questions. We're not getting answers."

Such a sad, tragic story all the way around. Jason Pero didn't need to be killed by the police. I'm anxious for the investigation to wrap up to know more details.

The forgotten minority in police shootings:

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/us/native-lives-matter/index.html[/video]

Native Americans are killed in police encounters at a higher rate than any other racial or ethnic group, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Yet rarely do these deaths gain the national spotlight.

This lack of attention has prompted some advocates to start social media campaigns reminiscent of Black Lives Matter.
"Native American people are basically invisible to most of the people in the country," said Daniel Sheehan, general counsel for the Lakota People's Law Project.

For every 1 million Native Americans, an average of 2.9 of them died annually from 1999 to 2015 as a result of a "legal intervention," according to a CNN review of CDC data broken down by race. The vast majority of these deaths were police shootings. But a few were attributed to other causes, including manhandling. That mortality rate is 12% higher than for African-Americans and three times the rate of whites.

Good article. It spotlights several Native Americans killed by police. I'll also post it to Zachary Bearheels' thread.

This case is tearing my heart out. There is no reason to kill this boy. None. Zero. It makes me nauseated.

Snip

Ashland County Sheriff’s Deputy Brock Mrdjenovich responded to the scene and encountered a 5’9”, 300 pound male subject who fit the description given by the 911 caller. The subject was later identified as 14-year-old Jason Ike Pero. Pero approached Deputy Mrdjenovich with a large butcher knife and he refused numerous commands to drop the weapon. On two occasions, Pero lunged at the deputy while the deputy was attempting to retreat.

https://nativenewsonline.net/curren...ing-14-year-old-bad-river-teen-jason-pero-jr/

Snip

Ashland County Sheriff’s Deputy Brock Mrdjenovich responded to the scene and encountered a 5’9”, 300 pound male subject who fit the description given by the 911 caller. The subject was later identified as 14-year-old Jason Ike Pero. Pero approached Deputy Mrdjenovich with a large butcher knife and he refused numerous commands to drop the weapon. On two occasions, Pero lunged at the deputy while the deputy was attempting to retreat.

SBM -

If the cop was attempting to retreat twice, why did he shoot Jason twice?

Do you think this child was treated fairly? Do you believe his life was taken into consideration at all? Do you believe a white boy in the suburbs would have been killed as quickly, or killed at all?

Snip

SBM -

If the cop was attempting to retreat twice, why did he shoot Jason twice?

Do you think this child was treated fairly? Do you believe his life was taken into consideration at all? Do you believe a white boy in the suburbs would have been killed as quickly, or killed at all?

A white boy in the suburbs, who was lunging at the Deputy with a large butcher knife, and refusing orders to drop it, and who was wanting to die by 'suicide by cop' ---would most likely be shot just as quickly.

The Deputy did not care what race or ethnicity the man yielding the knife was, he just wanted to defend himself. :rose:

A white boy in the suburbs, who was lunging at the Deputy with a large butcher knife, and refusing orders to drop it, and who was wanting to die by 'suicide by cop' ---would most likely be shot just as quickly.

The Deputy did not care what race or ethnicity the man yielding the knife was, he just wanted to defend himself. :rose:

I think he knew, and I think he reacted out of fear (and maybe anger) rather than making an honest effort to resolve the situation.

Jason did not deserve to be murdered.

And he should have a death sentence?

People seem to believe LE has no option other than to kill Americans. It's as if adults, professionals, who have been specifically trained to deal with these situations are helpless when faced with a child carrying a knife, a young man armed with a pen, a man in a wheelchair holding a pencil, a naked man carrying a pair of scissors, a woman who touched their car. All they can do is shoot? I don't buy it.

The officer , who was called to the scene, and given a description of the armed suspect, had no idea this was a 14 yr old.

So let's say this was not a 14 yr old Native American boy. Let's say it was an armed man, who was angry, and someone called 911 about his behavior.

And the deputy arrives, engages with the 300 lb man with the large butcher knife, and the man refuses to drop it, and lines at him. So the deputy
backs off, and the man escapes.

Then the armed suspect is able to force his way into a home and stab someone. Is that the deputy's fault too? Is he supposed to use lethal force to stop an armed man who is not complying OR is he supposed to back off and retreat, so as not to harm or injure him? --2020 hindsight is perfect.

People seem to believe LE has no option other than to kill Americans. It's as if adults, professionals, who have been specifically trained to deal with these situations are helpless when faced with a child carrying a knife, a young man armed with a pen, a man in a wheelchair holding a pencil, a naked man carrying a pair of scissors, a woman who touched their car. All they can do is shoot? I don't buy it.

Tasers do not work with an armed, agitated suspect. The officers often get hurt or killed in that scenario. What do you expect an officer to do with a 300 lb suspect with a large butcher knife, who is hellbent on suicide by cop? Is the deputy supposed to get into a tussle with him?

Are officers supposed to go to hand to hand combat with someone who lunges at them with a deadly weapon?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back