FL FL - Danny Jackson, 12, Gainesville, 25 Aug 1989

georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score

Danny Randall Jackson
Missing since August 25, 1989 from Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida.
Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: August 10, 1977
Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 45 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown / sandy blond straight hair; blue eyes. He has a fair complexion with a few freckles. He has a thin build.
Clothing: A yellow Jam shirt with black triangles, white shorts, and white tennis shoes with black trim.
<LI>AKA: Randy

Circumstances of Disappearance
Jackson disappeared from Gainesville, Florida on August 25, 1989. Witnesses claim to have seen him outside a home just two houses down from his own at approximately 8:30 p.m. on the evening.
The last certain sight of Randy was by his brother Brian and a friend, who were in the neighbor's house. Randy was in the man's car listening to the radio, and the man was outside watching Randy. The neighbor came in and announced he was going to bed. Brian and J.J. went outside and didn't see Randy, but they did notice the screen to the man's bedroom window was off.
The family believed Randy was spending the night at a friend's home. When he didn't come home the following day, a search of the neighborhood began. Then, the police were called.
The neighbor became a suspect. Not only had Randy disappeared from his house, but the man had a criminal history that included a conviction in Ohio for fondling a boy in a restroom. Police later learned he often gave older boys beer and marijuana, but he would not let Randy inside the house because Randy would tattle about the drugs. The man was interviewed and his house searched, but no signs of Randy were found. Police thoroughly searched the area for any clue or bit of evidence and found none.
The neighbor was under considerable police scrutiny. He was later charged with two crimes in separate cases unrelated to Randy's disappearance. They resulted in a conviction of lewd and lascivious act on another child, but he was acquitted of allegations that he sexually assaulted yet another youngster. He was released from prison in 1999.
Tthe man has not been eliminated as a suspect, but other suspects have not been ruled out either.
Jackson may have been spotted some time later in a vehicle with two unidentified Caucasian males.
The first male is described as being approximately 20 - 22 years old at the time with a medium build. He had brown hair, which was pulled back into a ponytail.
The second male is described as being approximately 18 - 20 years old, 5'8 and 150 pounds. He had brown hair and a moustache. They were driving a 1978 or 1979 brown four-door Chevrolet Impala with possible damage to the right front panel. The car was never recovered by police.

Jackson liked skateboarding, dancing and fishing. He was mischievous, funny and probably had ADHD (hyperactivity). He lived at 3510 NE 11th Terrace with three older brothers and a little sister. He attended Rawlings Elementary School.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Jackson's whereabouts, please contact:
Gainesville Police Department
Criminal Investigations
Sgt. Larry Seale
352- 334-2471
352-334-2400

All information may be submitted anonymously.

Agency Case Number: 89-16454

NCIC Number: M-385310036
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
America's Most Wanted
The Gainesville Sun

I cant understand how the police can have so much detail about when and where a person was last seen and in this case even who they were with and still not be able to get anything from this. If the people 3 doors down have nothing at all to do with it then take it from there but jeez, how frustrating.

I hope the neighbor comes clean and tells everyone what he did with the child.

I was reading an interview with Sheriff Sadie Darnell, who was part of the investigation back when this happened. She said this case still haunts her today. This seems like one of those situations where they "know" who did it but they lack the proper evidence to make an arrest.

http://www.flsheriffs.org/blog/detail/5-points-with-sheriff-sadie-darnell#.VdwMfvlViko

Is there a case that still haunts you today? If so, why?

The missing person case of Danny Randall Jackson........ I was the Criminal Investigations Division Captain at the time. Numerous area searches were conducted including the use of expertly trained canines and their handlers to no avail. This adult male was subsequently charged with sexual assaulting two other children; and served time in prison for one of them. He was released in 1999.

You know, I will say this. I wonder if he may have been a victim of Ronnie Leon Hyde, the killer of the 1994 Lake City John Doe Fred Laster. There are some similarities in regards to the description of the male. I also know Hyde had Alachua and Marion Co. roots due to his work.

danny_randall_jackson_1.jpg

danny_randall_jackson_2.jpg
Age progressed to 37 years old (2014).

Correct Charley Project link Danny Randall Jackson – The Charley Project

If the older boys ( including his own brother) were distracted by beer and weed... then they would not necessarily been concerned by any outside noise. I think it is reasonable to assume that the screen window being off the neighbour's bedroom window meant the neighbour intended to have Danny in the bedroom, but maybe something changed and he ended giving Danny away to others. He could have tied Danny up and put him in the boot of his car waiting for everyone to leave, but then he phoned a someone who picked up Danny...... ( because the sniffer dogs couldn't find any scent of him). I do feel sorry for his brother Brian who was inside the neighbors house at the time. How would you live with this knowledge?

It looks like the neighbor is guilty... although as they say above it could be that the neighbor left him tied up in the trunk of the car and another man took him... perhaps the men he was seen with that same night near his house...
rest in peace danny

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back