Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #7 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
attachment.php

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mis...ear-old-richardson-girl-believed-grave-danger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-at-3-a-m-as-punishment-then-she-disappeared/

Previous Thread #6

THE LATEST:
The couple went before a judge, along with officials from Texas Child Protective Services (CPS), concerning the custody of their 4-year-old biological child. CPS removed the little girl from the home and placed her in foster care just days after Sherin disappeared.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/23/mom-missing-girl-court-officials-id-body-found/

The father of a 3-year-old Texas girl missing since Oct. 7 told police that he watched his daughter choke on milk and die, then removed her body from the home, according to an arrest affidavit.

Affidavit

Body found in Richardson confirmed as missing 3-year-old Sherin Mathews

The parents of Sherin Mathews are set to return to back to court Monday morning for the custody of their biological 4-year-old daughter.

[...]

CPS has been looking into possible relatives for the biological child to stay with moving forward.

{updated on 11/17/17}

Mother, Sini Mathews, has now been charged with child endangerment in her death

What if no relatives can take the older child?

What if no relatives can take the older child?
It is already happening :

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/S...to-Be-Removed-From-Foster-Care-457233973.html
Sini and Wesley Mathews' biological four-year-old daughter could be placed in the care of family in the Houston area at any moment.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/us...decide-on-custody-for-richardson-girls-sister
[FONT=&amp]Her attorney told the judge she is still in agreement that for the time being the little girl should go to live with relatives in Fort Bend County who have agreed to care for her.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]A CPS spokeswoman said that home study should be complete by Wednesday.[/FONT]

The couple was last in court on the issue in October. The hearing was postponed then so Wesley could hire a civil attorney. This time his attorney argued he should be present to fight what he called “aggravated circumstances” which could hurt his chances of regaining custody in the long run.
Because of the questionable circumstances surrounding Sherin’s death and possible additional criminal charges, the state does not want to offer any type of reunification services.

Wesley remains in jail but his attorney said he loves his children and believes his 4-year-old daughter should live with her mother. He will be present at the next hearing to fight for custody.
A CPS spokeswoman said that home study should be complete by Wednesday.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/us...decide-on-custody-for-richardson-girls-sister

“...aggravated circumstances” which could hurt his chances of regaining custody in the long run. Oy vey. What an understatement.

Interesting though that the attorney said "children" and not "daughter" or "child." Slip of the tongue, misreporting or said on purpose?

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Sherin-Mathews-Sister-to-Be-Removed-From-Foster-Care-457233973.html[/URL]

"He loves his children and his wife and he's a good family man."

I guess the term "good family man" is subjective.....

I hope big sister gets placed with relatives asap. That's not always best but that girl has had her whole life and everyone in it ripped away. Poor baby. What a nightmare.

from the article posted in #4

The next hearing is scheduled for Nov. 29.

That's the custody hearing.

Any news on COD? or WM next court date??

TIA!

Happy that the child will be with family rather than strangers.

That girl needs extra love and care right now, relatives are the best ones to provide that, people she already knows.

from the article posted in #4

The next hearing is scheduled for Nov. 29.

That's the custody hearing.

Any news on COD? or WM next court date??

TIA!

I hope it’s soon... feels like its taking forever to get COD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can the father be a factor in the custody issue?

He admits to watching his child choke and die in front of him, then removing her body and hiding her. He will serve a jail sentence most likely.

I know judges have made ridiculous decisions. The judge will see through this statement realizing there is more behind it. If he can't take care of a child, he needs supervised visitation at all times.

Will this be a trial by jury or is Mathews to take the judge's decision since he pleaded guilty?

I hope big sister gets placed with relatives asap. That's not always best but that girl has had her whole life and everyone in it ripped away. Poor baby. What a nightmare.

I agree! Poor little girl, she has lost her whole immediate family at this point! I'm so glad that there is family to take care of her.

Clip of WM's attorney speaking about the child custody hearing.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/S...to-Be-Removed-From-Foster-Care-457233973.html

He apparently had requested that WMs be transported to the court for the hearing today but that didn't happen. WM is not seeking visitation.

From this article, Sini's lawyer's statement.
Attorney Mitchell Nolte, who represents Sini Mathews, released the following statement after the hearing.
For the record:
We are pleased with Judge Shannon’s decision to continue the hearing and give us more time to address the allegations against Ms. Mathews in the CPS case. We are still waiting on the CPS home study report and for the Ad Litem to make her report to the court. Then we’ll know where [her daughter] will be placed for the immediate future.
The wording of this statement is important, I think. This was a written statement submitted by the lawyer, not an off the cuff remark. What are the allegations against Sini in the CPS case?

“...aggravated circumstances” which could hurt his chances of regaining custody in the long run. Oy vey. What an understatement.

Interesting though that the attorney said "children" and not "daughter" or "child." Slip of the tongue, misreporting or said on purpose?

Also in this article and video, another lawyer not involved in the case, said this:
Attorney Bree West, who is not involved in this case, says she's not surprised the state is challenging the parental rights of both parents in light of the criminal circumstances, even though the mom has not been charged. “She was in the home at the time when whatever happened, happened,” West said. “And so did she fail to protect Sherin Mathews? Then if so, that's going to be an extension to her failing to potentially protect her biological child.”

So NEW info is that the state is challenging the parental rights of both SM and WM. I wonder if this is a way to try to get SM to tell more...

From this article, Sini's lawyer's statement.

The wording of this statement is important, I think. This was a written statement submitted by the lawyer, not an off the cuff remark. What are the allegations against Sini in the CPS case?

I've been thinking about this statement all day today. I'm wondering, because of the wording, did they ask for the continuance, so that they might have more time to address 'allegations..'? And, does allegations imply more than one, as opposed to allegation (not plural), or is this just legal jargon? I'm glad you posted this statement, because I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste it!

Aggravated Circumstances, Texas family code. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.262.htm
Sec. 262.2015. AGGRAVATED CIRCUMSTANCES. (a) The court may waive the requirement of a service plan and the requirement to make reasonable efforts to return the child to a parent and may accelerate the trial schedule to result in a final order for a child under the care of the Department of Family and Protective Services at an earlier date than provided by Subchapter D, Chapter 263, if the court finds that the parent has subjected the child to aggravated circumstances.
(b) The court may find under Subsection (a) that a parent has subjected the child to aggravated circumstances if:
(1) the parent abandoned the child without identification or a means for identifying the child;
(2) the child or another child of the parent is a victim of serious bodily injury or sexual abuse inflicted by the parent or by another person with the parent's consent;
(3) the parent has engaged in conduct against the child or another child of the parent that would constitute an offense under the following provisions of the Penal Code:
(A) Section 19.02 (murder);
(B) Section 19.03 (capital murder);
(C) Section 19.04 (manslaughter);
(D) Section 21.11 (indecency with a child);
(E) Section 22.011 (sexual assault);
(F) Section 22.02 (aggravated assault);
(G) Section 22.021 (aggravated sexual assault);
(H) Section 22.04 (injury to a child, elderly individual, or disabled individual);
(I) Section 22.041 (abandoning or endangering child);
(J) Section 25.02 (prohibited sexual conduct);
(K) Section 43.25 (sexual performance by a child);
(L) Section 43.26 (possession or promotion of child *advertiser censored*);
(M) Section 21.02 (continuous sexual abuse of young child or children);
(N) Section 43.05(a)(2) (compelling prostitution); or
(O) Section 20A.02(a)(7) or (8) (trafficking of persons);
(4) the parent voluntarily left the child alone or in the possession of another person not the parent of the child for at least six months without expressing an intent to return and without providing adequate support for the child;
(5) the parent's parental rights with regard to another child have been involuntarily terminated based on a finding that the parent's conduct violated Section 161.001(b)(1)(D) or (E) or a substantially equivalent provision of another state's law;
(6) the parent has been convicted for:
(A) the murder of another child of the parent and the offense would have been an offense under 18 U.S.C. Section 1111(a) if the offense had occurred in the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction of the United States;
(B) the voluntary manslaughter of another child of the parent and the offense would have been an offense under 18 U.S.C. Section 1112(a) if the offense had occurred in the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction of the United States;
(C) aiding or abetting, attempting, conspiring, or soliciting an offense under Paragraph (A) or (B); or
(D) the felony assault of the child or another child of the parent that resulted in serious bodily injury to the child or another child of the parent;
(7) the parent's parental rights with regard to another child of the parent have been involuntarily terminated; or
(8) the parent is required under any state or federal law to register with a sex offender registry.
(c) On finding that reasonable efforts to make it possible for the child to safely return to the child's home are not required, the court shall at any time before the 30th day after the date of the finding, conduct an initial permanency hearing under Subchapter D, Chapter 263. Separate notice of the permanency plan is not required but may be given with a notice of a hearing under this section.
(d) The Department of Family and Protective Services shall make reasonable efforts to finalize the permanent placement of a child for whom the court has made the finding described by Subsection (c). The court shall set the suit for trial on the merits as required by Subchapter D, Chapter 263, in order to facilitate final placement of the child.

Also in this article and video, another lawyer not involved in the case, said this:

So NEW info is that the state is challenging the parental rights of both SM and WM. I wonder if this is a way to try to get SM to tell more...
Isn't that just legalese for the state's act of taking custody of their child and putting the child in foster care ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith