1070 users online (222 members and 848 guests)  

Websleuths News

Post FDA Approves Inhalable Version of Insulin

FDA Approves Inhalable Version of Insulin By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer

The first inhalable version of insulin won federal approval Friday, giving millions of adult diabetics an alternative to some of the regular injections they now endure.

The Food and Drug Administration said the Pfizer Inc. insulin, to be marketed as "Exubera," is the first new way of delivering insulin since the discovery of the hormone in the 1920s. Pfizer jointly developed the drug and dispenser with Sanofi-Aventis and Nektar Therapeutics.

Use of rapid-acting inhaled insulin will not replace the need to occasionally inject the hormone, according to the FDA. And diabetics will have to continue pricking their fingers to test blood sugar levels.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127/ap_on_he_me/inhaled_insulin&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

VERY COOL!

As a mom of a diabetic, this is awesome news. However, she'll still have to take a shot for her long-lasting insulin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    FDA Approves Inhalable Version of Insulin By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer

The first inhalable version of insulin won federal approval Friday, giving millions of adult diabetics an alternative to some of the regular injections they now endure.

The Food and Drug Administration said the Pfizer Inc. insulin, to be marketed as "Exubera," is the first new way of delivering insulin since the discovery of the hormone in the 1920s. Pfizer jointly developed the drug and dispenser with Sanofi-Aventis and Nektar Therapeutics.

Use of rapid-acting inhaled insulin will not replace the need to occasionally inject the hormone, according to the FDA. And diabetics will have to continue pricking their fingers to test blood sugar levels.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127/ap_on_he_me/inhaled_insulin&printer=1

They showed videos with interviews of the CEO, and employees of the company, Nektar Therapeutics, and their celebrating with champagne, on the local news. They had been working on this for many years. The company is just up the peninsula from here.

The media keeps saying diabetics will still have to prick their fingers to test their blood sugar, but there are now devices that allow you to prick less sensitive areas and with very little blood to monitor your blood sugar. Further evidence the media doesn't go out of it's way to research the facts, lol.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Both my mom and dad have type 2, but my grandmother has type 1. I'm sure she'd like this better then sticking herself all the time. I think this is very neat.

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond