UT UT - St George, Wht/NtvMale 15-17, 692UMUT, in cave, DOD 1914-1925, 13th rib, smoker, Dec'98

anthrobones

Reaction score
Unidentified White Male

• The victim was discovered on December 7, 1998 in Webb Hill in St. George, Utah
  • Estimated Date of Death: Between 1914 - 1925
  • Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 15.5 - 16.5 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4 - 5'6"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Mostly Caucasian with some Native features. Partially healed left hand fracture. A thirteenth right rib. A well-developed right arm showed extensive use and indicates he most likely was a heavy industry worker.
  • Dentals: Available. Tobacco staining on his teeth indicates he was a smoker or tobacco user.
  • Clothing: Clothing associated with remains include 2 shirts, a jacket, denim pants, Marshall field's boots, and three blankets. Boots and denim clothing date to the turn of the century. The number 816 is stamped on the inside cotton liner of the right boot.
Case History
The victim was located in the Webb Hill area of St.George, Utah, in a cave. His boots had low wear, suggesting he may have traveled by horse, rather than on foot. He had an active pulmonary infection at the time of his death, perhaps contributing to it. No personal possessions were found on his person, or around the site where he located. Local newspapers were combed for missing persons during that time period. None were found.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/692umut.html

The other website (linked on Doe Network page) doesn't work anymore :(
If I remember correctly, they had good pictures of the skull there. I wonder what happened? Someone not pay the fee anymore for the site?

I found this doing a cached search -

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:22 pm siteadmin Guest

The new site for webbhill is up now, as you may have noticed, and soon we will have up a history of the area of and around webbhill. So, leave comments on the new site if you could.

And the WHOIS lists the email contact for Dr. Max Root as maxrootATphysical-medicine.net

The website is still down or something. I guess they didn't pay their fee for their .com

Thanks, but the skull photos were what I was looking for. :/ Do you have any idea why the site shutdown?

The skull photos aren't there anymore, but I did notice that the skull drawings are still there....

No, I have no idea why it was shut down. Again, I noticed it was sponsored by an investigation agency - maybe you could track them down and send an email and ask them?

Anthrobones, you always find the most interesting cases. Do you work in anthropology?

I can actually open some of the pictures. Can anyone else?

To corroborate the fact that he may have ridden to the location on a horse, I noticed that his boots curl up at the toe. Now, this may be largely because of age, but I ride horses, too, and my boots also curl. It's from keeping your heels down when you ride.

This story intrigues me immensely. Imagining a turn-of-the-century cowboy, too sick to keep riding, dismounting and turning his horse loose only to die in a cave, how tragic. I wish we could find the young man's identity.

Kelly

I really really wish that website had not gone down. :( The photos were really good.

I'm confused about the cave where the boy was found. Was the entrance to the cave covered? Did the boys remove rocks from the entrance to get to the boy? If there were rocks covering the entrance, that appear to be too large for him to do himself from the inside, then he might have been placed there. I find it odd that he had three blankets with him. It sounds as though he went there to die. He likely starved to death. I didn't read about them recovering any sort of drinking cup, or anything that might have held food, such as a lunch box or knap sack.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back