1210 users online (247 members and 963 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    "In the '08 campaign, Republican Sen. Norm Coleman was running for re-election against Democrat Al Franken. It was impossibly close; on the morning after the election, after 2.9 million people had voted, Coleman led Franken by 725 votes."

"Franken and his Democratic allies dispatched an army of lawyers to challenge the results. After the first canvass, Coleman's lead was down to 206 votes. That was followed by months of wrangling and litigation. In the end, Franken was declared the winner by 312 votes. He was sworn into office in July 2009, eight months after the election."

During the controversy a conservative group called Minnesota Majority began to look into claims of voter fraud. Comparing criminal records with voting rolls, the group identified 1,099 felons -- all ineligible to vote -- who had voted in the Franken-Coleman race.

Minnesota Majority took the information to prosecutors across the state, many of whom showed no interest in pursuing it. But Minnesota law requires authorities to investigate such leads. And so far, Fund and von Spakovsky report, 177 people have been convicted -- not just accused, but convicted -- of voting fraudulently in the Senate race. Another 66 are awaiting trial. "The numbers aren't greater," the authors say, "because the standard for convicting someone of voter fraud in Minnesota is that they must have been both ineligible, and 'knowingly' voted unlawfully." The accused can get off by claiming not to have known they did anything wrong.

Still, that's a total of 243 people either convicted of voter fraud or awaiting trial in an election that was decided by 312 votes. With 1,099 examples identified by Minnesota Majority, and with evidence suggesting that felons, when they do vote, strongly favor Democrats, it doesn't require a leap to suggest there might one day be proof that Al Franken was elected on the strength of voter fraud.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/yo...rticle/2504163
    Luckily being from Minnesota, we know that this is a lie.

Here are the facts. We from Minnesota like facts having one of the best education systems in the US and a great economy filled with Fortune 500 companies.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/1...ection-rigged/

Quote Originally Posted by Inthedetails View Post
    No, and I didn't suggest that.

The implication from the post above about his 2008 election, imo, was that he was in office perhaps because of voter fraud, without mentioning that he won re-election four years later. I thought the post about 2008 painted an unfair picture of more current standings.

My heart is heavy today, disappointment abounds.

jmo
    The voter fraud is a lie.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/1...ection-rigged/

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenista View Post
    I wonder if Franken would have been encouraged to resign if Minn had an R governor.

Actually, considering the case of Bob Melendez, I don't have to wonder that at all. Oops.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/n...dez-trial.html

If Mr. Menendez, a Democrat, is convicted and then expelled from the United States Senate by early January, his replacement would be picked by Gov. Chris Christie, the Republican governor of New Jersey and an ally of President Trump.
    MN has the best Governor in the US. Governor Mark Dayton.A multimillionaire whose family started Target and had Dayton’s and merged with Dayton Hudson.

He cares for the people of the state. He follows the Christian principals instilled by his father. Parapharase. From those who have been given much, much is expected.

Looks like this won't be the decade of Al Franken.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    MN has the best Governor in the US. Governor Mark Dayton.A multimillionaire whose family started Target and had Dayton’s and merged with Dayton Hudson.

He cares for the people of the state. He follows the Christian principals instilled by his father. Parapharase. From those who have been given much, much is expected.
    Objection! Non-responsive

Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
    Good to see Democrats staking out the moral high ground by stepping down.
    Moral high ground? He denied some of the allegations and stated he didn't remember the others the same way. Instead of apologizing for HIS behavior in his speech, he deflected to the behavior of others. This wasn't about anyone else---it was about HIM.

No, and I didn't suggest that.

The implication from the post above about his 2008 election, imo, was that he was in office perhaps because of voter fraud, without mentioning that he won re-election four years later. I thought the post about 2008 painted an unfair picture of more current standings.

My heart is heavy today, disappointment abounds.

jmo
    Correction to my post - he was re-elected six years later. Senators serve for six years. I noticed my error just as it posted...and then my internet went down and I couldn't edit or read the board! It hasn't been a good day, all around.

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    If he was really going to resign, why wait for "in the coming weeks"? The only reason he is even in the Senate was vote fraud in 2008.
    And then there were the uncounted ballots that were allegedly found, I believe in the trunk of someone's car, after he lost the election. And they happen to all be for him.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Looks like this won't be the decade of Al Franken.
    Me, Al Franken.

Correction to my post - he was re-elected six years later. Senators serve for six years. I noticed my error just as it posted...and then my internet went down and I couldn't edit or read the board! It hasn't been a good day, all around.
    Remember, though. The story of voter fraud is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Moral high ground? He denied some of the allegations and stated he didn't remember the others the same way. Instead of apologizing for HIS behavior in his speech, he deflected to the behavior of others. This wasn't about anyone else---it was about HIM.
    So is everyone going to ask for other sex offenders in the governing bodies to step down? Is Al at the head of the line? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenista View Post
    Going to have to disagree. Even if I loathe the person, there must always be due process.
    I would have to disagree with you because it is impossible to have a fair and impartial hearing of the issues with our politicians. Every single issue is party over fair hearing on all sides. If the ethics committee was truly an ethics committee and not partisan led then we could get a true pulse on the behavior of these people and the transgressions they are accused of. But, no, it is always covering for your party member or going after the person in the other party. Even here, people come on from their political perspective and are willing to hang X and let Y go for their bad behavior.

I liked Franken. But, I said from the get go he had to go b/c his behavior was awful. I was head of an institution where I had been employed for years and asked to become the leader. About one month into my service, we had an issue where an incredibly popular employee made a massive mistake which was such a clear violation that we had to fire her. Two of my leadership team kept coming up with all of the reasons that we didn't have to. I held my ground. We fired her. MY employees were off the charts angry. Well, guess what happened? A couple of months later a less popular employee made an equally bad mistake that was so clear that we had to fire her as well. No one on my leadership team had a moment of hesitation this time. We fired her.

We would have been hypocritical to not fire the first and then fire the second. We would have put the company in jeopardy if we didn't fire either of them-----based on letting the first woman get away with it. I see the position of the parties and people justifying their political positions as the same. We don't need to get into the weeds. Bad behavior is bad behavior.

At some point, it is not about tit-for-tat but what is right and good for our nation. Our government, elected officials should have no room for abusive, illegal behavior. We should stop pay-outs for harassment and illegal or immoral behavior. The congress should open every case they settled and show us the facts----not the names of the victims but the names of the perpetrators.

It is impossible to get due process for the behaviors that have a statute of limitations in civil court. It is impossible to take a pedophile and criminally prosecute him/her with a statute of limitations. So, these pigs and abusers get a free pass under the name of due process? I think that is reprehensible. On another thread we have a VI in the Roy Moore case, I believe that the whole due process argument justifies that accountability is not possible unless there is a video or photo-- and maybe not even then.
    Last edited by kaen; 12-07-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    I would have to disagree with you because it is impossible to have a fair and impartial hearing of the issues with our politicians. Every single issue is party over fair hearing on all sides. If the ethics committee was truly an ethics committee and not partisan led then we could get a true pulse on the behavior of these people and the transgressions they are accused of. But, no, it is always covering for your party member or going after the person in the other party. Even here, people come on from their political perspective and are willing to hang X and let Y go for their bad behavior.

I liked Franken. But, I said from the get go he had to go b/c his behavior was awful. I was head of an institution where I had been employed for years and asked to become the leader. About one month into my service, we had an issue where an incredibly popular employee made a massive mistake which was such a clear violation that we had to fire her. Two of my leadership team kept coming up with all of the reasons that we didn't have to. I held my ground. We fired her. MY employees were off the charts angry. Well, guess what happened? A couple of months later a less popular employee made an equally bad mistake that was so clear that we had to fire her as well. No one on my leadership team had a moment of hesitation this time. We fired her.

We would have been hypocritical to not fire the first and then fire the second. We would have put the company in jeopardy if we didn't fire either of them-----based on letting the first woman get away with it. I see the position of the parties and people justifying their political positions as the same. We don't need to get into the weeds. Bad behavior is bad behavior.

At some point, it is not about tit-for-tat but what is right and good for our nation. Our government, elected officials should have no room for abusive, illegal behavior. We should stop pay-outs for harassment and illegal or immoral behavior. The congress should open every case they settled and show us the facts----not the names of the victims but the names of the perpetrators.

It is impossible to get due process for the behaviors that have a statute of limitations in civil court. It is impossible to take a pedophile and criminally prosecute him/her with a statute of limitations. So, these pigs and abusers get a free pass under the name of due process? I think that is reprehensible. On another thread we have a VI in the Roy Moore case, I believe that the whole due process argument justifies that accountability is not possible unless there is a video or photo-- and maybe not even then.
    BBM. Is there a statute of limitations on sexual abuse of children, in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    So is everyone going to ask for other sex offenders in the governing bodies to step down? Is Al at the head of the line? Why not?
    He isn't the first one to step down because of a sex scandal and he won't be the last.

Female lieutenant governor expected to replace Franken
    https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/06/al-franken-senate-smith-211125

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is expected to appoint his lieutenant governor and close ally, Tina Smith, to Al Franken’s seat, three people familiar with the Democratic governor’s thinking said.

But that appointment would be just the start of an upheaval in Minnesota. Part of the reason Smith could be heading to the Senate, the sources said, is that she has indicated no interest in running for Congress in the past and would not run for the remainder of Franken’s term, which expires in 2020, in a 2018 special election. That would clear the way for a wide open Democratic primary next year.

MOO
    Delphi Murders -- Six Thousand Billboards Across the USA
    Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.
    “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan
    #metoo

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast