777 users online (109 members and 668 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It gets worse.
    From an article earlier today on Ars Technica https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...utrality-laws/
    In addition to ditching its own net neutrality rules, the Federal Communications Commission also plans to tell state and local governments that they cannot impose local laws regulating broadband service.
    Legislators in numerous states have tried to impose state-level versions of the FCC privacy rules that were eliminated by Congress earlier this year. With the FCC about to take its net neutrality rules off the books, ISPs said they worry that states will try to enforce net neutrality on their own.
    There won't be any specific FCC rules preventing Internet providers from blocking, throttling, or prioritizing content in exchange for payment. It would be up to the Federal Trade Commission or other consumer protection agencies to determine whether specific conduct should be allowed, FCC officials said. The new disclosure requirements will help the FTC and other agencies decide whether to take action against ISPs, the officials said.
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...utrality-laws/

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

bumping

if you dont like this idea link belows dials the number for ya and you can tell em not to pass it

we have two weeks last call for internet as we know it

what a hassle a post here could take 25 seconds ot load!

I don't have money I would be on the slow lane! Back to freezing and buffering and all that junk !

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

What the End of Net Neutrality Means for You

Slower Speeds (Or Worse) For Some of Your Favorite Sites

Without net neutrality, internet providers will have the freedom to carve up the internet into slow and fast lanes—and charge companies for access to higher speeds.
    Higher Prices

If a company like Netflix does agree to pay extra fees, it’s likely those prices will passed on to you, the consumer. That goes for pretty much every streaming service, along with cloud storage or any other service you pay for online.

The end of net neutrality could even raise the price of video games, especially for those played online.
    Cable-Style Internet Bundles

One of the top reasons people keep quitting cable in favor of online streaming is because of bundles that force you to pay for 30 (or 300) extra channels when all you want is HBO or ESPN. Killing net neutrality could bring the same business practice to the internet

Quote Originally Posted by CARIIS View Post
    bumping

if you dont like this idea link belows dials the number for ya and you can tell em not to pass it

we have two weeks last call for internet as we know it

what a hassle a post here could take 25 seconds ot load!

I don't have money I would be on the slow lane! Back to freezing and buffering and all that junk !

https://www.battleforthenet.com/
    My internet is already really slow, I already pay way too much as is. I can only imagine how bad it could get. Forgot trying to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime ever again without forking out more money each month.

FCC will block states from passing their own net neutrality laws

After the FCC began its assault on net neutrality earlier this year, several cities and states began looking into ways to protect consumers on their own. Unfortunately, the FCC has decided that it won’t allow that to happen: as part of its proposal to repeal net neutrality, the commission is trying to use its authority to preempt any and all state and local net neutrality regulations.
    So to sum up: states can’t pass anything covered in the 2015 net neutrality order, they can’t pass anything the FCC mentioned but didn’t pass in this new order, and they can’t pass anything that would at all make life more difficult for ISPs. That seems to include the stricter privacy rules that Congress voted to throw out earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by x_files View Post
    My internet is already really slow, I already pay way too much as is. I can only imagine how bad it could get. Forgot trying to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime ever again without forking out more money each month.

please do the link you can do it daily ! Last time it was the public that got it where we have it the way it is .

its gonna be the pitts

new proposal would do away with rules that prohibit internet providers from blocking or slowing down access to online content and services,

The repeal would represent a fundamental shift to how the internet is regulated. Thecurrent net neutrality rules, approved in 2015, internet providers like Comcast(CCVCL) and AT&T(T, Tech30)are barred from deliberately speeding up or slowing down traffic from specific websites and apps. The goal was to prevent those internet providers from picking winners and losers among content providers.

, has been a longtime critic of the net neutrality rules. Since President Trump http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/tech...ex.html?iid=EL as FCC chairman in January,

"This proposal undoes nearly two decades of bipartisan agreement on baseline net neutrality principles that protect Americans' ability to access the entire internet,

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality/

The backlash is building over the plan to gut net neutrality

"Without net neutrality, the incumbents who provide access to the internet would be able to pick winners or losers in the market. They could impede traffic from our services in order to favor their own services or established competitors," the letter said. "Or they could impose new tolls on us, inhibiting consumer choice."
    But while tech companies and average Joes can sign open letters and call Congress as many times as they want, there may actually be little the public can do to stop the FCC from gutting net neutrality rules. Under Pai's plan, states and localities would have their hands tied if they wanted to create their own net neutrality laws.
    Pai released his plan on Wednesday for ending the Obama-era rules in favor of a "light-touch approach" that would give internet service providers free rein to control your online experience.

That means internet service providers will be able to act as toll keepers, prioritizing traffic to their own sites, controlling the speed a certain page loads — a practice known as "throttling" — and even blocking access to certain sites

Great read.

I'm on the FCC. Please stop us from killing net neutrality

Net neutrality is the right to go where you want and do what you want on the internet without your broadband provider getting in the way. It means your broadband provider can’t block websites, throttle services or charge you premiums if you want to reach certain online content.
    I think the FCC needs to work for the public, and therefore that this proposal needs to be slowed down and eventually stopped. In the time before the agency votes, anyone who agrees should do something old-fashioned: Make a ruckus.

Reach out to the rest of the FCC now. Tell them they can’t take away internet openness without a fight.
    Jessica Rosenworcel is a member of the Federal Communications Commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2