Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.23.17 - Day 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Babcock murder trial discussion thread.

A few general reminders about the trial:

Any testimony that might remain under Publication Ban, and/or any courtroom discussion that takes place when the jury is not present, is strictly off-limits.

Only testimony that is published through MSM reporting (newspaper articles, tweets, tv) is allowed. Provide a source link, and keep discussion focused on testimony as it becomes public knowledge.

The magnificent principle of “innocent until proven guilty” is for the court room … it is not required that the general public / Websleuths members adhere to that principle. Members are allowed to discuss, speculate, theorize, and judge according to opinions they develop from following the specifics of the case.

A few general reminders from Websleuths TOS aka The Rules.

At all times, remain VICTIM FRIENDLY. No bashing or passing judgment on the victim or family.

There is ZERO TOLERANCE for snarky or disrespectful posts. Don’t expect an explanation … you will find your post has simply disappeared, or that you can no longer post.

There is to be NO name calling or name variations, not even of the accused.

BICKERING between members is not allowed. If you disagree, that's fine, say so and move past the post. If a post is offensive, alert it and let the Mods review it. If you respond to the post, both the offensive post AND yours will be removed and may result in other consequences.

Alert on a post and move on without discussing it, and don't question the decisions of our Mods/Admin or Owner. Also do not expect personalized responses with explanations about a particular decision.

Do not abuse the WS Alert feature. Abuse includes, but is not limited to:
• Overuse of the alert system
• Repeatedly alerting on the same poster
• Demanding a specific outcome
• Alerting on the same post more than once

Paywall Sites

Under copyright law, members who read information at a paid subscription site are NOT legally allowed to bring information obtained through those accounts over to Websleuths or pass the information to a third party to post the information here. All information posted at Websleuths about the trial must be obtained through MSM or MSM social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook) and linked.

If you have any questions, use the Alert feature or send a PM and we will be happy to assist.

:tyou:

:rose: Remembering Laura Babcock and waiting for Justice :rose:

1297999253571_ORIGINAL.jpg

link

You are not forgotten ... Rest peacefully, Laura
:rose: :rose:

Jury sees photo of handgun purchased by accused killer Dellen Millard at Laura Babcock murder trial
By Shannon Martin, CBC News Nov 22, 2017 6:38 PM ET

millard-handgun-babcock.jpg

This was one of two photos presented to the jury Wednesday, showing the handgun Dellen Millard bought days before Laura Babcock vanished in early July 2012. (Court exhibit)

A photo of a .32-calibre handgun was projected on several large flat screens in front of the jury at the Laura Babcock murder trial — a firearm sold to accused killer Dellen Millard days before Babcock disappeared in the summer of 2012.

The man who sold the gun, Matthew Ward-Jackson, 30, was in the witness box Wednesday afternoon, often evading the Crown's questions.

Wearing a black tracksuit with tattoos covering his face and neck, Ward-Jackson told the court he was there against his will, after Crown prosecutor Jill Cameron read out his criminal record — mostly for gun charges, including a conviction for the gun sale to Millard.
The Crown alleges Babcock was killed on July 3 or 4, 2012, at or near Millard's home in Etobicoke, Ont.

[...]

Conflicting testimony

But during cross-examination with Millard, who is acting as his own lawyer, Ward-Jackson seemed to stray from his earlier testimony.

Court heard the two first met in a parking lot. Ward-Jackson said he approached Millard out of the blue to admire one of his cars.

Millard suggested it was Ward-Jackson who made the initial contact for the gun sale.

"I'm going to suggest to you that you thought I had money to spend," Millard said to the witness.

"My first impression of you was that you were a manly man, interested in cars, girls, guns. I assumed you would perhaps want it, or would know somebody who wanted it," Ward-Jackson responded.

Jury could hear from final witness at Laura Babcock murder trial
By Shannon Martin, CBC News Nov 23, 2017

After almost five weeks of testimony — dozens of witnesses and countless court exhibits —the judge at the Laura Babcock murder trial told jury members they could potentially hear from the Crown's final witness on Thursday.

"It could be the end," Justice Michael Code said late Wednesday, as the jury was leaving for the evening.

CBC Live Blog

Live Blog Mobile

Trial resumes at 11:30 a.m. ET.

Good morning, we've been in court since 10 a.m. listening to legal arguments, which are ongoing. The jury was expected to arrive at 11:30 a.m. ET but things may be delayed. I'll let you know more when I do.
by Shannon Martin 11:23 AM

Thanks in advance to those that can help with the tweets. ;) I won't be much help at all as I have to get a turkey in the oven.

Good morning! Who will be able to help with the tweets and blog today? I will be able to start us off once the jury sits (unless someone else wants to start) but will only be here until about 12:30-12:45. I may be able to pop back for an hour this afternoon to help after lunch.

Good morning, we've been in court since 10 a.m. listening to legal arguments, which are ongoing. The jury was expected to arrive at 11:30 a.m. ET but things may be delayed. I'll let you know more when I do.
by Shannon Martin 11:23 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
2h2 hours ago
More
Back at #LauraBabcock murder trial today, for what could be the last day of crown case. Jury won't be here for an hour and a half, at least. I'll be following legal arguments but won't tweet until I hear reportable evidence. Full story 6pm @CHCHNews

Yay, Lisa is back!

Hi all, what happens next after the last witness?? :blushing:

Can a mod add a link to this thread to the previous thread? Easier to find that way.

I'm guessing the last witness is the cop who found the gun at Maple Gate in Nov 2012. Legal arguments likely because of tie in to Wayne Millard murder case.

I'm going to step away for a few minutes while they're still in legal arguments, I'll be back to post coverage.

:turkey:Happy Thanksgiving to all of our American posters and visitors!:turkey:

Hi all, what happens next after the last witness?? :blushing:

Assuming that he or she is the last Crown witness the Crown will rest and my guess is we'll adjourn until Monday where DM has to go first and he can present evidence which he may or may not do. After him MS gets to present evidence, which he may or may not do.

Assuming that he or she is the last Crown witness the Crown will rest and my guess is we'll adjourn until Monday where DM has to go first and he can present evidence which he may or may not do. After him MS gets to present evidence, which he may or may not do.
Why again is it that DM has to go first? (Both trials)
I admit I'm ignorant to a lot of court rules.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Because he was charged first, so he gets to defend himself first, MS second.

I'm surprised that MS' friend Brandon Daley didn't testify like he did at the Tim Bosma trial. Wasn't he MS' best friend? Surely, he would know a lot of what went on unless they only started hanging out after LB's murder.

It's based on the order that the names appear on the indictment and they are always alphabetical.

The moral of the story is that if you are going to do crime with buddy make sure his name is Aaron Aardvark.

Because he was charged first, so he gets to defend himself first, MS second.
Ok thanks. I thought they were charged simultaneously in the LB case.

*the more you know*

ETA: Thanks also DeaconBrodie, that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member