TX - Amanda Clairmont, 21, UNT student, fatally shot in car in Corinth, 19 Nov 2017

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Amanda Clairmont, 21, was shot to death in her car that was found crashed into a fence in a vacant lot along the I-35E service road in Corinth. Police driving by at 6 a.m. Sunday. thought her car looked suspicious. When they stopped to investigate, they found the University of North Texas student inside.

H-9P%20UNT%20STUDENT%20MURDERED%20CORINTH_00.00.06.01_1511229467211_4544659_ver1.0_640_360.png

http://www.fox4news.com/news/unt-student-found-shot-to-death-in-car-along-i-35-in-corinth

I graduated from UNT and know this area very well. I saw this on dailymail and they claim it a rural area. It is not rural. I35 is a major thoroughfare that connects south Texas to at least Kansas and probably north of that. This is truly devastating to this town of Corinth. It’s a relatively small town but does butt up against Denton which is a larger city with two colleges. I hope they find who did this. I don’t think it’s random.

I went to high school with Amanda. She was a truly amazing person. I wasn't very close to her, but I felt gutted when I found out this happened. I'm interested in any new info if anyone has anything recent.

After looking at the newest information in the case, reading that she may have met someone there in the parking lot seems so odd to me. She was a smart girl and doesn't come off as someone who would meet a stranger in an ill lit parking lot after a night of drinking. Family says she was not a heavy drinker, so it doesn't make sense she would be so drunk as to pull over to meet a random stranger. The other part I find odd is looking at the way her car crashed into the fence of the neighboring car dealership suggests she was pretty far back in the empty lot. It seems she was back there to meet someone she knew or someone she was told to meet there by a person she trusted. I know some gangs in Texas have been known to target sorority girls as murder victims for the purpose if gang initiations, however considering there hasn't been a homicide in Corinth for 16 years prior to this, I find it hard to believe that the gangs in Corinth are this level of violent. This one racks my brain. I knew Amanda in High school and I wasn't good friends with her, but she was so kind and very beautiful. I wish we had more info to go on with this case. I want to know more about this red vehicle they are talking about, and I want to know the order of things. Did she have a passenger that got out of the care leaving the door ajar? or did the perp open the passenger door afterward to go through the car? So many questions.. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.

I was friends with Amanda until the day this tragic killing took place. We both went to UNT and she was in my fashion design major for a couple of years (30 people in each class, intimate). Her dorm was a few down from mine, and we often hung out. Amanda was not into drugs to my knowledge, which is why the idea that she was meeting up with a "dealer" was something hard for me to wrap my head around. Amanda was a beautiful girl and caught the attention of many men at bars. I have always had a gut feeling that Amanda was attacked by someone she had turned down for sex. However, the idea that she had voluntarily driven to this location to meet up with someone in a "red car" has always haunted me... Why was she meeting up with someone that she was turning down? Maybe she had started engaging in smoking pot or other small time drugs, and that's why she met up with them? If that was the case, why drive to Corinth when there are plenty of small time dealers in Denton (where she was last seen, Fry St.) and close to campus? Something tells me this was not the case. I think she would have been more aware of her vulnerabilities at this time of night and the location. Therefore, I had landed and stuck with the theory that it was someone she knew... someone she was comfortable and possibly close to. I've thought it possibly could've been a close guy friend (she had a few of those) that had feelings for her and declared them. Amanda then turned him down, and he reacted violently. He could have snapped in the moment or it could have been planned.

Let me know your thoughts and outside perspectives.

Maybe she had started engaging in smoking pot or other small time drugs, and that's why she met up with them? If that was the case, why drive to Corinth when there are plenty of small time dealers in Denton (where she was last seen, Fry St.) and close to campus?
I could not agree more.

Denton is home to two universities and would support a far larger recreational drug market and by extension, far more readily available buy opportunities than more conservative Corinth.

The victim is female and possibly a recreational drug user rather than an addict. I imagine that people in this population group shy away from danger and only buy low level drugs from one or two trusted sources of the cleaner cut variety. Thus, they are far less likely to arrange for drug purchases along side highways from semi strangers.

As you stated, there was no real need to leave Denton for recreational drug purchases. With her apparent level of usage, neither was a likely desire or need to contact the rougher parts of the drug world at night and alone.

Last edited:
I graduated from UNT and know this area very well. I saw this on dailymail and they claim it a rural area. It is not rural.

I agree, the area is clearly not rural today.
The writer of the report was probably not aware of the ever expanding DFW metroplex and the ongoing urbanization boom in the area.

After looking at the newest information in the case, reading that she may have met someone there in the parking lot seems so odd to me. She was a smart girl and doesn't come off as someone who would meet a stranger in an ill lit parking lot after a night of drinking. Family says she was not a heavy drinker, so it doesn't make sense she would be so drunk as to pull over to meet a random stranger. The other part I find odd is looking at the way her car crashed into the fence of the neighboring car dealership suggests she was pretty far back in the empty lot. It seems she was back there to meet someone she knew or someone she was told to meet there by a person she trusted. I know some gangs in Texas have been known to target sorority girls as murder victims for the purpose if gang initiations, however considering there hasn't been a homicide in Corinth for 16 years prior to this, I find it hard to believe that the gangs in Corinth are this level of violent. This one racks my brain. I knew Amanda in High school and I wasn't good friends with her, but she was so kind and very beautiful. I wish we had more info to go on with this case. I want to know more about this red vehicle they are talking about, and I want to know the order of things. Did she have a passenger that got out of the care leaving the door ajar? or did the perp open the passenger door afterward to go through the car? So many questions.. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.

I wish the Corinth PD would ask for help on this case. I am really surprised we know so little.

I wish the Corinth PD would ask for help on this case. I am really surprised we know so little.
I agree completely.

I don't know if this case is indicative of a smaller police force getting overwhelmed by a case in which they lack a variety of resources to effectively pursue.

I do know is that there are very effective state level resources in the form of the Texas Rangers. Denton County may also offer assistance to smaller departments.

As a side note, local police forces can be ordered to accept the assistance of State level organizations. But, in the absence of clear bias, corruption or incompetence, such orders appear to be rarely given.

Rather, as you implied, the assistance must be asked for.

Last edited:

There seems to be a lot of space in the wheel wells. This could indicate a customization by either "lifting" the truck, and/ or buying smaller rims and low profile tires.

With either possibility, there are about three shops specializing in customized rims or lifts in the three suburb or so area south of Corinth going towards Dallas proper.

Though the perpetrator could have come from deeper in the sprawling DFW metroplex, my understanding is that the victim could have been making either a user level drug buy or a very small scale commercial drug buy for a group of fellow students.

A transaction on that scale would probably not attract a vendor from deeper in the metroplex as the drive time would probably not be seen as worth it. But.... Lewisville, Carrollton etc. could be another matter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back