IN - Dr. Kevin Rodgers, 61, killed in his Indianapolis home, 20 Nov 2017

meanmaryjean

Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)
Reaction score
I hate that my mind works the way it works......

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...n-indys-northwest-side-homicide-investigating

"She wanted her son Danny, who's here as a senior, to be sure and get the message that his father had passed," said Cathedral principal Dave Worland. "She was very clear that she wanted to work with the school so we could get Danny aware of the tragedy and also his friends and acquaintances and teachers and coaches to find out so that she could contact her other three sons."

Anyone but me find this odd????

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...n-indys-northwest-side-homicide-investigating

"She wanted her son Danny, who's here as a senior, to be sure and get the message that his father had passed," said Cathedral principal Dave Worland. "She was very clear that she wanted to work with the school so we could get Danny aware of the tragedy and also his friends and acquaintances and teachers and coaches to find out so that she could contact her other three sons."

Yes, it is odd and I am not sure what to make of it.

IMO, this case will be solved soon. I can’t imagine not being the one to tell my child about his father’s death.

http://wishtv.com/2017/11/20/impd-on-scene-of-death-investigation-on-citys-northwest-side-2/

The Cathedral version has now has the 'armed robbery' part edited out. And, according to the story, the wife notified Cathedral- so.....

From this article - a quote from one of the son's:

“Well, the other night my mom was down there and she was sitting in the house I was out with some friends when she texted me and heard the doorknob was rattling and we have a dog and she was going off,” Smith said. “The rattling stopped, and I came home and two days later this is here.”

Is this not similar to the case in Ohio last month with the teacher/mom killed after attempted break-ins to the house? Of course the attempted break-ins never really happened.

Yes, but I wonder if it's because she physically couldn't get to the school in time and wanted to make sure he didn't hear about it via social media, another kid, etc?

“Well, the other night my mom was down there and she was sitting in the house I was out with some friends when she texted me and heard the doorknob was rattling and we have a dog and she was going off,” Smith said. “The rattling stopped, and I came home and two days later this is here.”

Is this not similar to the case in Ohio last month with the teacher/mom killed after attempted break-ins to the house? Of course the attempted break-ins never really happened.

Perhaps the article has been updated, but it says the quote is from a neighbor ...:

“‘We don’t know if this was targeted or just some random people came through it’s really worrisome,’ said Michael Smith, another neighbor who lives down the street.

Michael Smith said the crime is so alarming because of what happened to his mom the other day.

‘Well, the other night my mom was down there and she was sitting in the house I was out with some friends when she texted me and heard the doorknob was rattling and we have a dog and she was going off,’ Smith said. ‘The rattling stopped, and I came home and two days later this is here.’” (BBM)

I agree, the case does remind me of the case in OH:
http://people.com/crime/ohio-man-murder-future-mother-in-law/

Hopefully LE will release more info today. Was there a sign of forced entry, valuables missing, etc. But, because of reading here, I there is always a way to stage a murder to look like a burglary gone wrong. moo Not accusing anyone of anything...

Actually, this is a quote from a neighbor.

And another thing- the WIFE'S workplace has counselors in place for those who need them. Why?

This is just so strange....

Hopefully LE will release more info today. Was there a sign of forced entry, valuables missing, etc. But, because of reading here, I there is always a way to stage a murder to look like a burglary gone wrong. moo Not accusing anyone of anything...

LE have definitely been tight-lipped, IMO.

Also interested in finding out where in the house and in what position Dr. Rodgers was found (e.g., in the foyer appearing as though he was surprised by an intruder, lying down on the sofa, sleeping in bed, etc.).

Not really. That school has been touched by tragedy often in the last few years, including the passing of an alumna just a few weeks ago who fell to her death in Myanmar while studying abroad. A few years ago, there were a couple suicides.

The school has some infrastructure in place to help with grieving, including on-staff and on-contract counselors. (Which, while THAT is odd, makes sense given the number of tragedies they've experienced.)

More than that, the Catholic school is active at building a family atmosphere around the students. A support network that crosses the usual grade and socio-economic class divisions.

While it may be "odd" when compared to other schools or organizations, it is not odd for a parent to reach out to that school to be a built-in support system for a child after a tragedy.

Full disclosure: several close family members of mine have gone to that school.

Not really. That school has been touched by tragedy often in the last few years, including the passing of an alumna just a few weeks ago who fell to her death in Myanmar while studying abroad. A few years ago, there were a couple suicides.

The school has some infrastructure in place to help with grieving, including on-staff and on-contract counselors. (Which, while THAT is odd, makes sense given the number of tragedies they've experienced.)

More than that, the Catholic school is active at building a family atmosphere around the students. A support network that crosses the usual grade and socio-economic class divisions.

While it may be "odd" when compared to other schools or organizations, it is not odd for a parent to reach out to that school to be a built-in support system for a child after a tragedy.

Full disclosure: several close family members of mine have gone to that school.

I guess what I find 'odd' is that she wanted to work with the school to get all that in place BEFORE notifying the other three sons. At least, that's how I read it. The school spokesperson is also the one who said 'armed robbery' before the COD was released. The ONLY place that could have come from is the wife- and why would she spill that BEFORE notifying the other sons? I just find the whole situation puzzling- not the school's response. It is wonderful.

A couple of other things I would like to know:

1. Has a suspected firearm been found, and if so, where? Who does it belong to?

2. Anyone tested for gun powder residue?

I guess what I find 'odd' is that she wanted to work with the school to get all that in place BEFORE notifying the other three sons. At least, that's how I read it. The school spokesperson is also the one who said 'armed robbery' before the COD was released. The ONLY place that could have come from is the wife- and why would she spill that BEFORE notifying the other sons?
So, 2 things - order of notification and details.

I believe the high school student is their youngest, and at least one other son is long graduated from college. In any tragedy, things need to be done in an order. Getting all of the kids on the phone just isn't going to happen. I'm not saying there's only one right way to do this, but I can see the logic in worrying about the youngest one first, who may be more likely to find out through social media or news notifications. Getting the support system lined up for him, getting a timeline for that, and doing that first is something that seems rational.

In terms of the additional details that came out from the school, the wife probably didn't realize what she should and should not say. It appears that she found the body, so may have been making calls about what was clearly a medical emergency at the least before the police could tell her to STFU.

Now, I also take those details with a healthy (or unhealthy sometimes) amount of skepticism. Just because the wife told the school, and the school told a bunch of other people, does not make those assertions actual facts. It is probably what the mom believed, and what may help the family make sense of the tragedy, but they are not yet facts.

Apologies if this comes across argumentative, I'm just in a rush. I doubt we disagree very much - particularly on the latter issue.

This story has virtually disappeared from Indianapolis-area news.

Stranger and stranger, but I think I know where it's going. MOO and all...

“Detectives make progress in homicide investigation”

PUBLISHED: NOV 22ND, 2017 - 5:46PM (EST)UPDATED: NOV 22ND, 2017 - 6:28PM (EST)

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - investigators appear to be inching closer to finding the killer of a prominent Indianapolis doctor.

Eyewitness News has learned detectives have an idea of who they are looking for as well as some of the other players involved, but they stop short of calling them suspects.

On Wednesday, police revealed that Dr. Kevin Rodgers was murdered in a robbery.”
(BBM)

https://www.wthr.com/article/detectives-make-progress-in-homicide-investigation

ETA: Just watched the videos at the top of the linked page. In the one titled “Search for ‘key players,’” Rich Van Wyk says LE are asking for tips from the public: That they think these “‘key players’ know what’s going on, but are too afraid to talk.”

Could this indicate these are inexperienced, young “kids,” more less, rather than seasoned criminals? Could they have been to the home before -invited-, seen something in particular that they were interested in taking and/or had prior knowledge of what was inside the home and where? Perhaps they posted something on SM around the time of the murder that LE find suspicious, leading them to believe multiple people know what’s going on? Maybe the perps were not expecting Dr. Rodgers to be home in the middle of the day, but when they saw him as they entered the home, the perps decided to kill him because they knew Dr. Rodgers recognized them?

Most likely purely coincidental, but the day after Dr. Rodgers’ murder, Cathedral HS’ head football coach announced his retirement after “28 seasons as a head coach” and “with 10 state titles.”

“Streiff tells Indy Sports Central’s Dave Griffiths his decision to retire comes with the intention to spend more time with his family.”

“Streiff tells Indy Sports Central’s Dave Griffiths his decision to retire comes with the intention to spend more time with his family.”
http://fox59.com/2017/11/21/cathedr...ick-streiff-retires-with-10-state-titles/amp/

Also noticed a couple of “interesting” (for the lack of a better word ...) retweets by Cathedral Football’s Twitter page, both on Nov. 20: https://mobile.twitter.com/CathedralFBall

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back