Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First and foremost Websleuths is a true crime discussion forum. A very close second is we are a victim friendly forum. Rarely do these two descriptions collide. In the Papini case, discussion forum and victim friendly forum smash head-on into each other.

First and foremost we are a discussion forum.

Because there are many mainstream media articles about the discrepancies in Sherri's story, we must allow a discussion to contain opinions that Sherri is not truthful, and the next logical leap is we must allow the theory that Sherri is not telling the truth about her kidnapping.

This is very difficult. We have the police saying they believe Sherri is telling the truth yet there are discrepancies.

Not that this played any part in my decision on what to allow in the Papini discussion I can tell you I can't find anyone who believes her other than a handful of posters on Websleuths.

Let me just throw this out there;what if everyone is wrong? Can you imagine the pain?

Before I tell you the rules for discussion Sherri's case, I want to envision you are sitting with Sherri, her husband, and her CHILDREN, while you are telling them your theory. Keep that vision in your mind while you type your post.

Whatever you choose to say (within TOS of course) you can do so in a kind and mature manner. With that in mind here is what is now open for discussion.

*You can discuss the discrepancies in Sherri's statements, her husband's, or anyone else who has given a statement to the police.

*You can discuss the discrepancies reported by the mainstream media. Example: Fox News Story Sherri Papini case: DNA evidence triggers new questions over 'super mom' kidnapping claim

*You can discuss, like a mature person who is expressing their opinion in front of the whole Papini family, why you believe Sherri Papini is not telling the truth. A side note if you want I would love to read your theories on why the police are so adamant she is telling the truth

*You cannot use rumor and innuendo to explain your theory as to why Papini made up the kidnapping story. Must be fact-based. Meaning mainstream media and police sources.

If everyone uses common sense and does not reduce this discussion to name calling and all kinds of other immature acts, we shouldn't have a problem.

Basing your opinion/posts on the facts in this case and doing so in a mature manner will mean the Papini thread will stay open. We shouldn't have any problems.

A year after California mom’s mysterious disappearance, new info surfaces | fox8.com

Sherri Papini: California Mom Had Male DNA on Her

BACKSTORY:

Redding Crime 2.0

Missing Person Sherri Papini
14956607_10208327554372096_6103506709758080591_n.j  pg

Video here from KRCR News Channel → [video]

UPDATE: Papini ransom money now going to anyone who turns in 'abductor'

skibaboo's Case Map

MEDIA/TIMELINES/MAPS

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
14956607_10208327554372096_6103506709758080591_n.j  pg

Video here from KRCR News Channel → [video]

Redding Crime 2.0

Authorities search for missing woman in Shasta County

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for explaining what you meant. I overlooked the tiny caption, so now I see where the word is used. The basic meaning of capture is “to seize by force” (as in “troops captured the city”) so technically the writer is accurate. But as you point out, the word is sometimes used meaning to “catch” someone who has escaped or who is being sought by LE. So I can see why that hit you as odd. Since the writer had already used the word “kidnapping” in the same sentence, I suspect he used “capture” just to vary his wording, rather than implying anything else. The word “disappearance” would have been more accurate IMO.

It's the word the journalist used. It's in printed under the video.
It's an odd choice of wording.

IMO, someone who breaks out of jail, or is evading someone gets "captured".
Being taken, kidnapped or abducted seems to be a more appropriate term.

I found it an odd term for the article.

https://www.today.com/video/new-clu...ini-kidnap-mystery-1-year-later-1102892611964

92bdd841257dd1b950309ad3481bcfdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do we know for sure that she doesn’t remember how it started? Is that a fact and I somehow missed it (and I could have!) in the news?

I don’t believe we know for sure that she doesn’t remember how it started. I don’t recall any information about that, except her description of the vehicle. But nothing about how they got her into the car. She may have told LE but LE hasn’t told us AFAIK.

I don’t believe we know for sure that she doesn’t remember how it started. I don’t recall any information about that, except her description of the vehicle. But nothing about how they got her into the car. She may have told LE but LE hasn’t told us AFAIK.
I remember a recent LE statement that she didn't remember anything from the day she disappeared. I'll see if I can find the quote.

Here it is, very last bit of this interview... LE concerned about her vague memories of the hours prior.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/vide...nia-mom-sherri-papini-51009648

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quoting Tricia in the opening post, this caught my eye....

*You can discuss, like a mature person who is expressing their opinion in front of the whole Papini family, why you believe Sherri Papini is not telling the truth. A side note if you want I would love to read your theories on why the police are so adamant she is telling the truth.
underlined by me

My theory about why LE is “so adamant” SP is telling the truth is that they have no definitive evidence that she isn’t. So, as professionals they have to say they believe her and continue investigating. But I would not be surprised if they privately and individually have doubts that they cannot express publicly. If nothing else, they learned from the Denise Hutchins case that truth is stranger than fiction, so they need to keep their thoughts private.

The only way LE can express their possible thinking is to release information. A few of the recently released bits of information don’t really help enhance the public’s belief in SP’s story or move the investigation forward IMO. So why release them? If anything, they just put pressure on SP. Mentioning Michigan man’s texts and trip to SF implies an internet affair. Smashing the kidnapper’s head into the toilet brings up memories of the white pride blog post about heroically vanquishing Latinas. The invisible cut on SP’s foot undermines her credibility. Belatedly releasing the drawings of the two women and more info about their vehicle, and excusing the delay because of SP’s extreme memory issues, raises more doubts about her credibility. Even the video proves nothing except that SP ran to the Kingdom Hall from somewhere and then ran toward the freeway. None of this information moves the case forward IMO. It just puts SP under the public microscope again.

This is is why I do not think LE is “adamant that she is telling the truth.” They aren’t any more certain than we are IMO.

What I am thinking, is if how the abductors got her into the car, assuming they did, and how her mobile device was left with the headphones neatly wrapped around it, might be a dead giveaway as to what really happen when she initially disappeared.

No other fingerprints were found on her mobile device?

What I am thinking, is if how the abductors got her into the car, assuming they did, and how her mobile device was left with the headphones neatly wrapped around it, might be a dead giveaway as to what really happen when she initially disappeared.

No other fingerprints were found on her mobile device?

Yes, I’m hung up on that tidy phone too.

This is is why I do not think LE is “adamant that she is telling the truth.” They aren’t any more certain than we are IMO.

Snipped for focus and BBM

I'm thinking they are quite a bit more certain.

In addition to your excellent summary of the information released which casts doubt on her story (intentionally, IMO, they certainly knew the impression it would give the public), I would add that "no reason not to believe," with the double negative, is nowhere near what I would consider an adamant statement of belief. Linguistically, it is a very weak statement of support, and I'm guessing the statement analysis peeps would go further than that.

The main things that are telling to me...

1. KP told 911 he used the find my phone app, with no mention of calling or texting her prior.

2. Her ear buds neatly placed.

3. The over the top effort to portray her as the perfect wife and mother.

4. KP ignoring the first call thanksgiving morning.

5. MM

6: KP: “I thought about her being there, screaming my name,” when his wife was in captivity.

7. KP: the mixture of horror and elation*... My reaction was one of extreme happiness and overwhelming nausea.... filled with so much relief and revulsion... . I got nauseated just looking at her.*...

6. The lack of interest by the family in bringing her alleged kidnappers to justice.

7. The willingness to return to live in the same house, where she would have to go past the scene of her "abduction" every time she leaves the house.

Perhaps it's just me, but IMO "screaming my name" has sexual connotations. Why not simply yelling for help? Why would she scream for him specifically if she had been kidnapped and, presumably, taken where he wouldn't be able to hear her?

Someone you love has been injured, I don't care how it happened or how severe... who on earth would use words like "nausea" and "revulsion?" Has anyone here ever visited a loved one in the hospital and been "nauseated just looking at her?" And it strikes me, "nauseated just looking at her", not at her injuries.

Having been with relatives who have had severe injuries, those types of words are just mind boggling. I simply can't conceive of reacting to an injured loved one like that.

I have heard of people becoming physically sick, throwing up, upon learning of a spouse's affair.

All I can say is that the Papini's are very good at fooling the police if this was a hoax.

LE has had a year to find out if Sherri is lying and end the investigation. Looks to me that they haven't been able to do that. JMO

All I can say is that the Papini's are very good at fooling the police if this was a hoax.

LE has had a year to find out if Sherri is lying and end the investigation. Looks to me that they haven't been able to do that. JMO
You’re right. The people in the best position to know (and with the training and experience to draw from) have consistently affirmed that they believe SP.

“Sgt. Jackson says he believes Papini was abducted, and that her story is true.”

http://people.com/crime/sherri-papini-people-explains-unsolved-abduction/

“Based on information we have, there’s no reason to believe this is not legitimate,” Bosenko told The Record Searchlight. “Since speaking to [the victim], based on information we’ve received, we believe her. We believe this was an abduction.”

http://www.californiacountynews.org...heriff-insists-bizarre-kidnapping-was-no-hoax

I don't think LE know where she was or who she was with during her disappearance. Individuals LEOs involved in the case will no doubt have their own suspicions and opinions about what happened, but if they had enough evidence to know for sure then somebody would already have been charged. Jmo.

Question for those who believe SP...

What are your thoughts on why the FBI poster requests information on "unknown individuals " rather than suspects or POI? Similarly, why does the poster refer to her "disappearance " rather than abduction or kidnapping?

This is atypical, to say the least. If they believe her, why wouldn't they use the normal and expected terminology for wanted suspects in an abduction? What kind of strategy or plan would cause them to issue such an unusual poster?

Question for those who believe SP...

What are your thoughts on why the FBI poster requests information on "unknown individuals " rather than suspects or POI? Similarly, why does the poster refer to her "disappearance " rather than abduction or kidnapping?

This is atypical, to say the least. If they believe her, why wouldn't they use the normal and expected terminology for wanted suspects in an abduction? What kind of strategy or plan would cause them to issue such an unusual poster?

I'm on the fence on this case.

I have no idea why the FBI would use the terminology that they did but it doesn't seem to suggest to me that they don't believe Sherri was kidnapped. If they had good reason to believe that Sherri wasn't kidnapped or abducted they wouldn't have put out the poster at all in my opinion.

JMO

I'm on the fence on this case.

I have no idea why the FBI would use the terminology that they did but it doesn't seem to suggest to me that they don't believe Sherri was kidnapped. If they had good reason to believe that Sherri wasn't kidnapped or abducted they wouldn't have put out the poster at all in my opinion.

JMO

Thank you for your response.

I have seen LE release sketches of nonexistent criminals before, so IMO just the release of the sketches doesn't necessarily in and of itself indicate belief. JMHO, of course.

I have seen LE release sketches of nonexistent criminals before, so IMO just the release of the sketches doesn't necessarily indicate belief.

Seems like a waste of resources to me.

I have seen LE release sketches of nonexistent criminals before, so IMO just the release of the sketches doesn't necessarily in and of itself indicate belief. JMHO, of course.

I agree. If I recall correctly, there was a composite sketch in Susan Smith's case.

Where have you seen that? And what would be the strategy there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail