Inside the cockpit of Flight 5966: Were pilots distracted or lacking technology?

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is a transcript of the voice recorder box from inside the cockpit of Flight 5966. Some of the content has been edited due to spatial constraints.

Be advised while vulgarities have been removed, some language in the transcripts may be offensive for some readers and unsuitable for children.

Pilot Kim Sasse: Hello.

Co-Pilot Jonathan Palmer: [sound of laughter]

Sasse: There, my hair was down to my breast pockets.

Palmer: Are you serious?

Sasse: Right here, I could hold my hair like this.

Palmer: I cannot see you with long hair like...

Sasse: Just, just like that.

Palmer: [sound of laughter]

More: http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/articles/2006/01/30/news/news10.txt

What's Going On - A Daily Express Column

When I first read the transcript of the Flight 5966 voice recorder box, I couldn't help but feel overcome by disbelief and disgust.

I couldn't believe the two pilots of the plane that crashed south of Kirksville and killed 13 people on a rainy October evening would take such an unprofessional approach to their job. I was disgusted at the lack of respect these pilots showed the people who trusted them with their lives, many of which died minutes later.

Comments I have received from readers of Wednesday's Daily Express, which included an edited version of the transcript, echoed those sentiments, many of which were also expressed by members of the National Transportation and Safety Board who investigated the wreck.

More: http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/articles/2006/01/30/news/news4.txt

Frankly, I was quite disgusted by the pilot's conversation in the cockpit, but had it not been published and had I never stumbled upon it, I'd never had known. I don't even know what the pilots of the planes I fly on say, and I don't really care as long as they get me there safely.

I don't know what to think about this. I do think they were a bit too distracted. Did they cause the crash, or could they have prevented it?
Maybe. Just don't know. Either way, it's sad. And I am very glad they've not been my pilots.

PrayersForMaura said:
Frankly, I was quite disgusted by the pilot's conversation in the cockpit, but had it not been published and had I never stumbled upon it, I'd never had known. I don't even know what the pilots of the planes I fly on say, and I don't really care as long as they get me there safely.

I don't know what to think about this. I do think they were a bit too distracted. Did they cause the crash, or could they have prevented it?
Maybe. Just don't know. Either way, it's sad. And I am very glad they've not been my pilots.
Near the end they seemed like they were on task. I think something was wrong with the plane. Several times they said something about the plane not doing what is was supposed to do. If you think this is bad...you ought to hear what is said in the operating room. :laugh:

deandaniellws said:
Near the end they seemed like they were on task. I think something was wrong with the plane. Several times they said something about the plane not doing what is was supposed to do. If you think this is bad...you ought to hear what is said in the operating room. :laugh:

you have a point...if we only knew the things done & said while we're "out" on an operating table...

deandaniellws said:
OH, I know a little about the O.R. because my boyfriend is an O.R. tech, ironically. He brings the doctor's and nurses what they need and often shaves the patients, too. I don't like to hear some of the stories. Ewwww, gross.

He also gets to see some of the cases that come through the E.R. ... some odd things happen. People come in sometimes with weird things stuck in their bodies. :eek:

PrayersForMaura said:
OH, I know a little about the O.R. because my boyfriend is an O.R. tech, ironically. He brings the doctor's and nurses what they need and often shaves the patients, too. I don't like to hear some of the stories. Ewwww, gross.

He also gets to see some of the cases that come through the E.R. ... some odd things happen. People come in sometimes with weird things stuck in their bodies. :eek:

Oh good lord I can only imagine. :doh: :p

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back