NY - Quachaun Browne, 4, beaten to death, Bronx, 27 Jan 2006

julianne

Former Member
Reaction score
This is horrible! Another sad case of child abuse, and another case that New Yorks Administration for Child Services (ACS) had "swept under the rug". Apparently, caseworkers visited the home in November and found everything in order, yet when investigators went in to investigate after receiving the 911 call, they found the living conditions squalid, with no heat or food, and children were unclothed. Lock this sorry excuse for a mother up and throw away the key, forever! Rotten B*tch!!!!:furious: :furious:

http://www.wnbc.com/news/6584350/detail.html

Both of the cases are so sad. These kids shouldn't have died.

The neighbor across the street says that the mother was "a good mother"
but she just didn't have the means to provide for the kids. Even on welfare she should have gotten food stamps....medical...and enough left over to put clothes on the kids.....thrift shops have nice clothing. There isn't any excuse for the house being filthy...no heat...broken windows...roaches, etc. Wonder where the money was going. Poor little kids.

I wonder who called 911? What is wrong with these caseworkers anyway?
Something has to change is Social Services. Their job is to protect the children but they don't seem to be doing that. I hope this little boy's death is what it will take for changes to take place. I know it is hard to find foster parents and that case workers are overloaded with clients but something has to change.

NY has had quite a few of the severe abuse/neglect cases where ACS was involved, yet fell short in their response. And they weren't all at once, but over the last decade. So it isn't a single caseworker, or a single supervisor falling down on the job, it is the whole system. Each time it has happened, there has been promises of reform, promises it would never happen again. Then it does happen again. I agree that they need more money and workers and other support. But they also need to be looking individual responsibility, and prosecution of those who are shirking their responsibilty.
This all reminds me of the Fla. foster care system.

This case is so sad. Children freezine without clothes in a rotten stinking filthy apartment. This is NOT living, this is not supposed to happen. How can the neighbors of these people live with themselves? We know the mother is a rotten piece of trash, take up with some jerk boyfriend and let your kids freeze and starve and beat them, yeah that makes sense. Take both of the adults off the planet now...they are obviously evil, but what gives the neighbors of these kids who know the situation is bad the right to just ignore it? Now another angel is dead and the good Lord only knows what other kinds of abuse the other kids have suffered. How is that a childhood, remember playing outside, swinging, running, playing baseball, going to school, parties with friends....remember all that, that is childhood, your mothers hugs and kisses, daddy lifting you to his shoulders, remember all that.

Anyone remember living in a stinking, rotting, freezing dump, having no clothes, no heat, no food......NO, I don't remember that, that is NOT childhood. NO child should ever be treated like that. Poverty is no excuse for meanness. There are agencies set up to give out food, clothes, medical attention. People who do this to their children are evil and deserve to die in the same manner. People who know that a child is being mistreated......well how can they sleep at night?

This story infuriates me, why don't people care? If you saw a child with no clothes, pale, sickly, shivering, wouldn't you FIRST pick him/her up, wrap him in a blanket and call the police! Wouldn't that be your first move? How can this be allowed to happen?
We are all called to take care of the lambs? Where were the shepherds looking over these lambs??????

This so saddens me......and the other little angels who lived through this hell, it's almost as sad for them to see their brother be killed and know they are next, to live in pure filth and be treated lower than dirt. Please someone close by in NY love them.

Without sweeping social welfare reform, this problem isn't fixable.

It's not fixable with CPS workers, and it's not fixable with neighbors having to take matters into their own hands and force their neighbors to do what most people do instinctually - care for their kids.

That's it. It's not fixable this generation, or probably the next, or maybe even forever, because we have created an underclass of people who grow up thinking they don't need to do anything at all, nothing, to take care of themselves.

It would be intersting if New York CPS made a long documentary, showing house after house after house that they visit that's in squalor. Trying to assess the degree of filth and squalor, compared to the filth and squalor at the last place you visited, is difficult.

Only with sweeping welfare reforms, giving the population a decade or so to come up to standards might help. I don't know. We've created the monster, and it's taken over the innercities.

What pi$$es me off is women having children they cannot take care of. I raised my son alone from when he was 4 years old and I worked a full-time job the entire time. I made sure I DID NOT have more children because I knew I could not afford them... and I DID NOT move a man (boyfriend) into my house to take care of me either!! My child came FIRST and my own fun came LAST. It certainly seems that in most of these tragedies the mom has a live-in boyfriend.

SOME women have children as a source of income. I firmly believe that if you CHOOSE to have a baby then you better plan on working to support that baby. Why should Uncle Sugar (a.k.a. we taxpayers!!) support people who are too damn lazy to work and too irresponsible to use birth control. Don't they have Planned Parenthood in New York???? They did when I lived there.

It is time to stop blaming the government, social services, children and family services or whatever other agency out there and place the blame where it belongs... on the parents of these sad abused children. If you cannot afford to provide properly for a child you better get your moronic azz on Depo shots. Maybe once a woman has TWO illegitmate children with two different men and she does not work then to continue receiving public assistance she must use birth control until she secures full-time employment to provide for any additional children she CHOOSES to have.

The burden is not all on the mother either... it is way past time to market some type of birth control pill/shot/SOMETHING for men as well. I am sick to death of people having children and using us taxpayers support to raise them. YOU have kids = YOU take care of them. Hate to say that children need to be taken away from such irresponsible fools but it is plain that blaming social services agencies each time something likes this happens isn't right either. Why do the children almost automatically stay with the mother??? If she can't support the child then let's look at the father. If he is working the kid should live with him.

I suppose I will get flamed for this but the parents of these children are the responsible parties... not DCFS (I know the bio dad is in jail). If the boyfriend hurt this kid and mom was the fool who moved him into her house they should both be held equally accountable.

miimaa said:
What pi$$es me off is women having children they cannot take care of. I raised my son alone from when he was 4 years old and I worked a full-time job the entire time. I made sure I DID NOT have more children because I knew I could not afford them... and I DID NOT move a man (boyfriend) into my house to take care of me either!! My child came FIRST and my own fun came LAST. It certainly seems that in most of these tragedies the mom has a live-in boyfriend.

SOME women have children as a source of income. I firmly believe that if you CHOOSE to have a baby then you better plan on working to support that baby. Why should Uncle Sugar (a.k.a. we taxpayers!!) support people who are too damn lazy to work and too irresponsible to use birth control. Don't they have Planned Parenthood in New York???? They did when I lived there.

It is time to stop blaming the government, social services, children and family services or whatever other agency out there and place the blame where it belongs... on the parents of these sad abused children. If you cannot afford to provide properly for a child you better get your moronic azz on Depo shots. Maybe once a woman has TWO illegitmate children with two different men and she does not work then to continue receiving public assistance she must use birth control until she secures full-time employment to provide for any additional children she CHOOSES to have.

The burden is not all on the mother either... it is way past time to market some type of birth control pill/shot/SOMETHING for men as well. I am sick to death of people having children and using us taxpayers support to raise them. YOU have kids = YOU take care of them. Hate to say that children need to be taken away from such irresponsible fools but it is plain that blaming social services agencies each time something likes this happens isn't right either. Why do the children almost automatically stay with the mother??? If she can't support the child then let's look at the father. If he is working the kid should live with him.

I suppose I will get flamed for this but the parents of these children are the responsible parties... not DCFS (I know the bio dad is in jail). If the boyfriend hurt this kid and mom was the fool who moved him into her house they should both be held equally accountable.
NO flames from me :clap:

No flames from me either, but just because you are poor or the 'supposed underclass' of society, it's OK for you to live in squalor? NO! You can be poor and have a clean house, you can be poor and get your sorry *advertiser censored* up each morning and go WITH your children down to the food pantry to get food for your babies, you can be poor and go WITH your children down to Catholic charities to get free coats, You can be poor and show up at a homeless shelter WITH your children and say "I have no heat, my children are freezing, can we stay here?" Noone could turn you away with children. Think how much those kids would learn about helping other people if their mother or father had taught them those skills. OK kids, let's go to XYZ church to get our food for the month and we'll come back and decide what to cook, but instead, no some lazy stupid person just sits around and gets NO food for the babies, you can bet money the mother wasn't hungry. POVERTY is NO excuse for filth and mistreatment. Underclass or no class, people know right from wrong. It is wrong to beat your children, starve your children, let them freeze. Those things are just plain WRONG, there is no gray area here. Poor people are not prevented from knowing right from wrong.

I completely, do NOT have children if you cannot afford them, however, we know the reality is that there are many, many children out there that are already on this earth who belong to parents 'who cannot afford' to take care of them. Meaning they do NOT make enough money on their own. Here's a thought, those people need to get off their butts and take their children to the agencies that are all over this country to help people 'who cannot afford' their children.

So if 'I cannot afford' them, is it my right to just decide to NOT feed them, love them, hug them, and beat them? I think not. Parents who do NOT do the right thing, no matter what the reason should be held accountable, in this particular case, death penalty for both mother and boyfriend.

When did it become OK to be poor and automatically behave criminally?

I was poor growing up, my mom and dad never beat me, starved me, had no clothes for me, they loved me and did their absolute best, I was always loved, full and happy, even if I was poor. My room had to be cleaned, our house was clean, we went to church, school, played outside and we were still poor...

Kudos to all of you!!!! Things will only begin to change when we as concerned parents start to speak up and show our outrage at these situations. America has become way too immune to our children being abused.

Maybe if we keep screaming this is wrong, eventually our governments, child protection services and local authorities will begin to do something about it.

AMEN SISTAS, ONE AND ALL.
Like the rest of you I am so angry I could just spit. An example close to home. I worked with a girl that works 2 nights a week. She just turned 25 and has 4 little kids, has been pregnant 4 or 5 times with in the last year. She keeps miscaring(sP). She said the Dr was going to run test to find out why this happens. She is already on state funded health care and food stamps. Oh and before, the 4 children she has now, there were 3 or 4 miscarrages. One of the other girls at work said *I don't care how many kids she has, she has to take care of them*. That statement was far from the truth, taxpayers take care of them. This family lives in a two bedroom mobile home. Three girls share a room and their little boy sleeps on the couch and she it trying to have another baby.
I dont' get it and I have tried to talk to her about it, but she just keep getting pregnant.
Sorry for the rant, I just have no idea what these people are thinking. I dont understand it.
Instead of the dr.running expensive test to see why she cannot carry another baby to term, he needs to tie her tubes. Enough is enough.
Oh did I mention, she is 8 weeks pregnant right now!!!!

I totally agree!! I wish I could have a baby, but my husband was injured in a work accident 3 years ago and now suffers a brain injury. As much as both of us would love to be parents we both know that we could not do that on one salary. It's a struggle just for the two of us on one salary let alone having a child and being able to feed and clothe them! It's about being responsible for ones own actions...too many these days are not responsible for their actions and I don't know why? Don't get me wrong...being poor is fine...I was raised by just my mom and times were always tough, but she always worked and I never went without....and no she NEVER brought a boyfriend into the picture. She always put me first....still does even though I am in my thirties now!;)

My heart breaks for this little one.....and all the others.....

TB

2XL said:
AMEN SISTAS, ONE AND ALL.
Like the rest of you I am so angry I could just spit. An example close to home. I worked with a girl that works 2 nights a week. She just turned 25 and has 4 little kids, has been pregnant 4 or 5 times with in the last year. She keeps miscaring(sP). She said the Dr was going to run test to find out why this happens. She is already on state funded health care and food stamps. Oh and before, the 4 children she has now, there were 3 or 4 miscarrages. One of the other girls at work said *I don't care how many kids she has, she has to take care of them*. That statement was far from the truth, taxpayers take care of them. This family lives in a two bedroom mobile home. Three girls share a room and their little boy sleeps on the couch and she it trying to have another baby.
I dont' get it and I have tried to talk to her about it, but she just keep getting pregnant.
Sorry for the rant, I just have no idea what these people are thinking. I dont understand it.
Instead of the dr.running expensive test to see why she cannot carry another baby to term, he needs to tie her tubes. Enough is enough.
Oh did I mention, she is 8 weeks pregnant right now!!!!
What a story . . . I'm sure there are so many more out there like that. You have to realize that the mentality of these people is not like ours or this stuff would never happen. This is beyond "desparate people do desparate things". This is pure ignorance. Have any of you ever watched the daytime tv talk shows? Maury always has young girls on his show who are trying to determine who the father of their baby(ies) is/are. How sad is it when you have to go on national tv and bring several guys on the show to figure out who fathered your child/children. Yes, I'm guilty of watching the shows. There is one outcome that I love . . . that's when the fathers get the news that the baby is theirs and Maury says "Do you want to see your baby" and the guy ends up holding the baby and kissing it and the love is very apparent and sometimes they apologize to the baby for not being there.

Back to the issue at hand . . . this poor little boy. I cannot imagine what life was like for him or for Nixzmary or for any of these children who are subjected to these horrible parents. I am hoping that these children will bring to light the horrors that are going on in these homes. May the abusers/murderers get the worst possible punishment . . . that being, put in jail for life and then getting killed by fellow prisoners. I can't believe I just said that. But that would be justice, in a morbid way. God rest the souls of the little children who have endured such abuse at the hands of these monsters.

This story sickens me to my core. How could so many people not step in and do something. The ACS workers, the police, the neighbors. If my neighbors kids are over at my house begging for food, the first thing I do is call the police. The one neighbor guys said he knew the place was squalid, yet he did nothing. The mother is evil, she allowed this to happen. The so called boyfriend is beyond evil, he is the one who actually murdered this child physically, but this child was dying inside for a long time due to his mother. How can anyone turn a blind eye to this. It's beyond me and it infuriates me. This poor angel suffered miserably and most likely so did his siblings. I hope this woman is murdered like the fat pig she is in prison and the so called boyfriend, well bubba is awaiting his arrival I'm sure.

I don't watch Maury, it's part of the problem in this society, mindless people doing mindless things. There is so much good that actually needs to be done, why waste your time? Get involved, get informed. These type of stories make me want to move to New York, get a job at ACS and work hard to save these beautiful kids. I have two beautiful kids of my own that I love dearly and take care of, they are gifts from God, truly. How could anyone hurt them, how a mother could sit by and let this happen. She is not a mother by any stretch of the imagination, she is purely the womb that brought the kids into this world. Being a mother is so much more than that, it's too bad she couldn't keep her legs together and she brought this scum into their house, but then again she was obviously scum too. It just makes me mad that apparently to everyone around them who was aware of the situation, this was just OK....

In case anyone out there is wondering....it's not OK to be evil and mean if you are poor, rich, black or white. If you have children, take care of them, if you need help, get up off your fat butt and get help. DO NOT bring a man into the house, that's the beginning of the end for these families.

The attitude that I am poor so therefore I get a pass to be stupid and evil just doesn't fly with me. It's just too bad that these people are allowed to dehumanize a little angel and of course the siblings too, before they are called to the hell hole of prison. May they both burn in hell forever.

I don't think simply 'to bring a man into the house' is the problem in itself. I am sure that lots of single mothers have met and married wonderful men while their children were young. It's just such a pity that the bad seemingly out number the good about 100 to 1.

My brother met and married a lady who already had a small child. He's not abusive in the least. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it was his love for her child that kept them together during rocky patches.
The problem begins with the mothers in these cases. If they are scum bags to begin with - chances are they will attract a partner with similar qualities. And let's face it, if you let anyone abuse your child - you are scum.

Very true Brefie.

The imprisoned father of a slain Bronx 4-year-old said yesterday that he blamed Quachaun Browne's "irresponsible" mother for bringing home the boyfriend who allegedly killed his son.
"I blame him for losing his temper, but I blame her for bringing him into our house," Mandinga Browne, 24, said during an interview at Rikers Island. "She let that abuse happen."

Browne said he was a loving "Mr. Mom" who took care of Quachaun and the boy's five siblings - but when he was arrested for robbery in August, they were left in the erratic care of their mother, Aleshia Smith, 26.

http://www.nydailynews.com/02-02-2006/news/story/387771p-329043c.html

I think this father means well, however, he was irresponsible enough to be in jail on robbery charges.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back