CA - Seven killed in Goleta post office shooting, 30 Jan 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183268,00.html

GOLETA, Calif. — A person opened fire at a postal station on Monday night, killing three people and critically wounding a fourth, authorities said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/31/postal.shooting/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A female former employee opened fire at a 24-hour postal service sorting facility in Goleta, California, killing six people and critically wounding another, before turning the gun on herself, authorities said early Tuesday.

It's six dead and one wounded....

A female former employee opened fire at a 24-hour postal service sorting facility in Goleta, California, killing six people and critically wounding another, before turning the gun on herself, authorities said early Tuesday.

poco said:
It's six dead and one wounded....

A female former employee opened fire at a 24-hour postal service sorting facility in Goleta, California, killing six people and critically wounding another, before turning the gun on herself, authorities said early Tuesday.

She killed 6, killed herself and wounded another (7 total dead...one wounded :( ). How weird....you don't hear of women doing these type of killings often.

my goodness :eek:

it was a former employee...apparently there were other "instances" with her when she worked there...(per fox)

close_enough said:
my goodness :eek:

it was a former employee...apparently there were other "instances" with her when she worked there...(per fox)
The profile of a female shooter like this has to be rarely found in the history of crime. Laurie Wasserman Dann (I thought she was a workplace shooter, she was an adult woman who shot up a school), was gravely mentally ill, may have been amped on a particular antidepressant which has given some people psychotic reactions in the past. This woman, so far, sounds like the typical male shooter -- past trouble in the work place, gets fired, fumes for a year, comes back and takes revenge. This is weird and terrible crime. I've got no idea what she could have been like, short of obviously troubled in some way.

Steve

misterallgood said:
The profile of a female shooter like this has to be rarely found in the history of crime. Laurie Wasserman Dann (I thought she was a workplace shooter, she was an adult woman who shot up a school), was gravely mentally ill, may have been amped on a particular antidepressant which has given some people psychotic reactions in the past. This woman, so far, sounds like the typical male shooter -- past trouble in the work place, gets fired, fumes for a year, comes back and takes revenge. This is weird and terrible crime. I've got no idea what she could have been like, short of obviously troubled in some way.

Steve

yeah, this woman HAD to have some mental problems, imo...i think most folks that do things like this do anyway, for the most part....if she had some problems with co-workers in the past, these "problems" festered up over time apparently....this woman wanted to die, & obviously wanted to take others with her...just terrible :(

I haven't read about any "postal" workers in a long time. I know that for a while there was this saying about people going "postal" because it seems there was a rash of people shooting others at post offices. I wonder really how many post office-related shooting sprees there have been over the last few decades, or if that's just an exaggeration?

My curiosity got the best of me. I found some research someone did about workplace shootings. They are not just post-office related. Looks pretty extensive...

http://www.disaster-management.net/workplace_shoot.htm

Here's just a few:

Workplace Shootings

1986 August 20th. - USA, Oklahoma, Edmond: A postal worker who was about to be fired, opened fire at a post office, killing 14 people before fatally wounding himself.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1988 February 16th. - USA, California, Sunnyvale: a 40-year-old man, angry that a former co-worker at ESL Corp. had rejected his advances, stormed into the company and killed 7 people with a shotgun before surrendering. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
1989 September 14th. - USA, Kentucky, Louisville: a 47-year-old man, on disability for mental illness, killed 8 people and injured 12 others at a printing plant, before killing himself.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1990 June 18th. - USA, Florida: A shooting spree in a General Motors office in Florida; 11 people died, including the assailant, four others were wounded[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1993 July 1st. - USA, California, San Francisco: a 55-year-old mentally disturbed man with a grudge against lawyers opened fire in a law office, killing 8 people and then himself.
[/font]

It goes up through 2004

I have to admit that I was taken by surprise that this was a woman shooter... How sad this is.. :(

GOLETA, Calif. More than 80 postal employees were working at the mail distribution center outside Santa Barbara, California last night at the time six employees were shot, five fatally.

The female ex-employee who carried out the attack killed herself.

The facility, which is not open to the public, is fenced but had no guards. Postal officials say employees use a key card to enter the parking lot, which is behind the fence, and must also use a key card to enter the building.

Two of the dead were found in the parking lot. Two other victims, one who survived, were found on either side of the door to the building.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/31/postal.shooting.ap/index.html

Postal facility was fenced, and required key cards, but had no guards
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4436003

I hate to use the cliche going postal but it was. The unusual aspect is that it was a woman with a gun. Not something we see regularly. The dissatisfaction and aggressiveness is disarming.

concernedperson said:
I hate to use the cliche going postal but it was. The unusual aspect is that it was a woman with a gun. Not something we see regularly. The dissatisfaction and aggressiveness is disarming.
Even though the news link says that they do not know why the woman was let go,she first placed on medical leave for psychological problems.

Beyond Belief said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183417,00.html

Cops: Postal Shooter May Have Killed Neighbor

GOLETA, Calif. — The woman who gunned down six people inside a mail processing plant also may have killed a former neighbor a few hours before the attack, sheriff's officials said Wednesday.
Wow, that is sad :(

Thanks for posting this article. It had some interesting facts posted in there, too.

• "It was the deadliest shooting at any workplace since 2003, when 48-year-old Doug Williams gunned down 14 co-workers, killing six, at a Lockheed Martin aircraft parts plant in Meridian, Miss., before turning the gun on himself.
  • "It was the first lethal shooting at a postal installation in nearly eight years and one of the deadliest since a string of high-profile cases in the 1980s and '90s — including one in which a part-time letter carrier killed 14 people in Edmond, Okla., before taking his own life.
  • "James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University and an expert on homicides, said he believed it might be the deadliest workplace shooting ever carried out by a woman. "Men, more than women, tend to view their self-worth by what they do" at work, Fox said. Men also are more prone to use violence in seeking revenge while "women tend to view murder as a last resort," he said.
  • "According to federal statistics, 12.3 percent of homicides are committed by women. However, Fox said his analysis of 450 workplace shootings over the past 30 years shows that only 7 percent were carried out by women."

Thanks for the link.

All I can say is "what a waste!"

Nice little tidbits in that link about a few of the victims. :(

A picture of the shooter...

21734654.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-020106postal_lat,0,5232565.story?coll=la-home-headlines

snip

GOLETA, Calif. -- When Eddie Blomfield was unable to contact his girlfriend, he dashed to her condominium, opened the door and saw that his worst fears were real.

Beverly Graham was motionless on the floor. Blomfield reached down to touch her leg. "It was ice cold," the salesman said this morning as he and relatives mourned Graham, believed to be the first person shot by a former postal worker who went on a killing spree Monday night.

The toll today rose to eight today, including Jennifer Sanmarco, the shooter, police said.

After killing Graham, 54, Sanmarco drove five miles to a postal sorting facility where she once worked and shot six employees, according to police. Five were killed at the scene and the sixth died today of her wounds at a hospital.

Authorities searched today for a motive for the slayings, but as far as Graham's family was concerned, Sanmarco decided to kill her because the two had sparred in the past.

Wow, not at all what I envisioned her to look like. Ain't that something? How a person, such as myself, can sit here and picture this ugly, awful person in my mind and stereotype what the killer "must" or "should" look like. I think she's quite attractive. She doesn't "look" disturbed. Looks can be deceiving can't they?

:(

PrayersForMaura said:
Wow, not at all what I envisioned her to look like. Ain't that something? How a person, such as myself, can sit here and picture this ugly, awful person in my mind and stereotype what the killer "must" or "should" look like. I think she's quite attractive. She doesn't "look" disturbed. Looks can be deceiving can't they?

:(
That's why I posted her picture. It caught me off guard too, even though it probably shouldn't.

IdahoMom said:
That's why I posted her picture. It caught me off guard too, even though it probably shouldn't.
She does not look capable of such a crime. So weird. Looks like a happy, normal person. Guess anyone can snap at any time.
So sad :(

So sad for all the innocent peopel who lost their lives because she snapped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back