Matt Lauer fired by NBC, accused of "inappropriate sexual behavior"

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Matt Lauer fired by NBC, accused of "inappropriate sexual behavior"
CBS NEWS November 29, 2017

The network opened the "Today" show on Wednesday with news of the termination. NBC News chairman Andy Lack released a statement, saying the network had "received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer."

Matt Lauer Fired Overnight After NBC Received a Complaint Alleging 'Inappropriate Sexual Behavior'
Stephanie Petit November 29, 2017

“On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment,” Lack said in the statement. “While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.

This is one I definitely didn't see coming.

There have been rumors about his behavior for years. I didn't believe them at first, but they became so numerous it seemed there might be some truth to them. Yep, there was.

All the recent revelations about the entertainment industry show an ugly side to that business. Politics, too, though that's been around forever. It's what happens when you mix power, money and big egos. As this stuff comes to light, perhaps more people will spend less time worshiping celebrities. These people are entertainers, they're not that important to our society nor should they be put on a pedestal. Good people in your own community and elsewhere are more worthy of our respect.

I saw it coming......hehe.
Now I wonder who will get that coveted spot .....?

The timing of all of this is so interesting to me. Is it because the victims feel emboldened and safe to come forward or is it some type of over all payback? I remember reading how upset HRC was about how Lauer questioned her during an interview while campaigning. She is in a perfect position to spill the dirt she has on everyone, Hollywood, media, politicians, etc...just my musings!

Today's co-anchor Savannah Guthrie read a statement on-air from NBC News Chairman Andy Lack shortly after 7 a.m. Wednesday:

On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company's standards. As a result, we've decided to terminate his employment. While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he's been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.

Lack added that NBC wanted to "create a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected" and that management is "deeply saddened by this turn of events."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...matt-lauer-over-inappropriate-sexual-behavior

There have been rumors about his behavior for years. I didn't believe them at first, but they became so numerous it seemed there might be some truth to them. Yep, there was.

All the recent revelations about the entertainment industry show an ugly side to that business. Politics, too, though that's been around forever. It's what happens when you mix power, money and big egos. As this stuff comes to light, perhaps more people will spend less time worshiping celebrities. These people are entertainers, they're not that important to our society nor should they be put on a pedestal. Good people in your own community and elsewhere are more worthy of our respect.

I never really liked him, but I still didn't see it coming.

I just really hope David Muir is safe. I love that man.

I wonder if they will rush to fill a spot or just have Savannah, Al and Hoda tonight for the Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting. Matt was also supposed to co-host.

The timing of all of this is so interesting to me. Is it because the victims feel emboldened and safe to come forward or is it some type of over all payback? I remember reading how upset HRC was about how Lauer questioned her during an interview while campaigning. She is in a perfect position to spill the dirt she has on everyone, Hollywood, media, politicians, etc...just my musings!

JMO, it's because victims feel safe to say something when others are coming forward, too.

No doubt these allegations are being fully investigated by employers, otherwise they would be targets for libel or wrongful termination lawsuits. These people are all celebrities of one type or another and most work under contracts and have agents that protect them.

It's all long overdue.

ETA: It's been talked about for years that Bryant Gumbel, whom Matt replaced, also behaved horribly - sexist, harasser, etc. He's still widely disliked in the profession.

I saw it coming. I watch the show every morning and recently just had a feeling that he'd be one of the next. Ironically, the feeling came as the team was discussing the other recent allegations against public figures. I wonder if it was Natalie Morales that came forward.

I just really hope David Muir is safe. I love that man.

RSBM. Oh, gosh, you and me both.

NBC doesn't come in well with antenna tv, so I never watched the today show, but this did surprise me. I wonder how long it'll be until WS needs a sub forum for all this inappropriate sexual bevavior.

I never watch the Today Show, but I always thought he seemed like a stand-up, “good” man. That was back when he was with Katie Couric years ago. I guess I was young and naive then. It’s astonishing the amount of people in this profession being accused right now. And a bit disheartening, too.

In the wake of all of these allegations against men, I am wondering if we'll see some against women (as in, "she told me if I didn't ________, she wouldn't promote my career/book/film, etc.). Or maybe not? Maybe there are not any women with powerful enough positions that it would happen. I'm just surprised that no one has popped up yet with an accusation.

Sounds like may be more than just sexual harassment.

Lauer had a terrible reputation as a womanizer.

Remember Ann Curry? Matt played a part in her firing when she was replaced by Guthrie.

I wonder if it was Natalie Morales that came forward.

According to this article, a staffer: https://pagesix.com/2017/11/29/matt...lly-assaulted-female-staffer-during-olympics/

An NBC insider said Lauer’s alleged victim complained to HR on Monday: “This happened so quickly. She didn’t go to the media, she made a complaint to NBC’s human resources, and her evidence was so compelling that Matt was fired on Tuesday night. The victim says she has evidence that this has also happened to other women, but so far we don’t have evidence of that.”

Frankly, I find it quite difficult to believe that this is the first complaint of this nature against Lauer that NBC received!

Nonsense!

I never watch the Today Show, but I always thought he seemed like a stand-up, “good” man. That was back when he was with Katie Couric years ago. I guess I was young and naive then. It’s astonishing the amount of people in this profession being accused right now. And a bit disheartening, too.

But didn’t Katie leave on bad terms with Matt? no clue what that was about. It was known he did not get along well with Ann Curry. And he was apparently quite good friends with Meredith Viera, according to him. He likely was not always the super nice person we see. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back