FL - 19-year-old woman arrested for giving away friend's baby to strangers

This is sociopathic behavior, imo. How can someone be so cold and uncaring?

Amazing how the worst people can end up with a child in their care. Counes does indeed sound like a sociopath-cold, lying, self-centered. I unfortunately have a relative that she bears a resemblance to...in looks and behavior. Maddening.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_031184518.html

CBS4 News) FT. LAUDERDALE The mother of a two-year-old boy that went missing over the weekend in a long and confusing tale of “who has the boy” was denied custody of the child by a Broward County Judge Tuesday.

Alecia Reid walked out of court, tearful, after a judge adjudicated her infant son would remain in state custody while DCF performs an investigation into whether the child is in a safe environment at home.

The boy went missing this weekend after Reid handed her baby over to roommate Stacy Counes on Friday. This is where the story gets confusing: Counes says the baby was having an asthma attack so she gave it to her brother who worked at Broward General Medical Center and he in turn gave it to two strangers.

That is not the version police are saying happened.

I hope that the mother gets her baby back after she is checked out. She must have trusted her roommate to take care of the baby. I wonder where she went? Sounds like she didn't take off for a weekend or anything like that if she was trying to find the roommate and the baby on the same day that she left the baby with her. She probably never dreamed the roommate would do what she did.

The roommate must realize that the two women are going to point her out as the person who gave them the baby....not her brother. If she was smart she would just tell the truth but on the other hand we already know that she isn't very smart. Hope she gets lots of jail time.

Here's what comes to mind in this case for me. The mother is young and naive.. too trusting. That's her only crime.

Counes is clearly another story. On one hand.. I'll be interested in hearing if she has some sort of mental deficiency. I just can't imagine handing over a newborn to strangers... especially one that's not MINE, that I'm taking care of for a friend... that's just abhorrent behavior. To me, it just screams "not right in the head".

The cynic in me also believes, on the other hand, that she was just inconvenienced when her boyfriend said he was upset that she had a baby with her, ruining their plans, she did whatever she had to do to please him. Including getting rid of her friends baby. She must be awfully needy, if that's the case. I'd tell the man to take a hike. Of course, we know she didn't do that... She gave the 'inconvenience' to strangers. :loser:

Wow. I don't understand why the mother is being punished though. Sounds to me, she trusted her roomate to watch the child . Who would even imagine someone is capable of just handing over your child to strangers like that?

I agree about the mother-she sounds young and naive and trusting. She probably had no idea what the roommate was capable of. Most of us want to believe the best in people. Who would think someone you know would be capable of handing your baby away like that?

I hope she gets her baby back-she may never let the child out of her sight again!

The two women at the bus station are also strange to me. I can't imagine someone giving you a baby and the waiting a full night before calling the police. This is a weird mix of people.

March 29, 2006|Tonya Alanez Staff Writer

Two psychologists Tuesday agreed that a 19-year-old woman accused of leaving her roommate's newborn baby with strangers at a bus stop is incompetent to stand trial.

Stacy Counes is charged with interference with child custody. If convicted, she could face a maximum sentence of five years in prison. She pleaded not guilty at a March 7 arraignment and posted $1,000 bail.

Counes' case will be indefinitely transferred to Broward mental-health court where she will work toward regaining competency. Two of the three psychologists who evaluated Counes deemed her incompetent.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2006-03-29/news/0603280404_1_baby-bus-custody

March 2006:

Counes had agreed to baby-sit 3-week-old Kaleem Jahmel Osbourne, on Jan. 27, while his mother, Alecia Janet Reid, 22, went to work. Fort Lauderdale police say Counes' boyfriend was angry that she had taken the child, so she gave the newborn to two strangers at a Fort Lauderdale bus stop, concocting a story about being a working mother in need of child care. She told the women to call her the next day. When the women could not reach Counes, they dropped the infant off at a Broward Sheriff's Office Fire-Rescue station.

The baby's mother is waiting to regain custody. The court placed Kaleem with Reid's friends, granting Reid unlimited daytime visitation while she undergoes a 10-week parental counseling class, Reid's attorney Eric Anschuetz said.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2006-03-29/news/0603280404_1_baby-bus-custody

May 2006:

Broward Circuit Judge Michael Bidwell ruled Stacy Counes violated the terms of an agreement that let her stay with her mother until a mental health facility bed became available.

Counes pleaded not guilty in March to a charge of interference with child custody, but two psychiatrists found her incompetent.

In the meantime, Counes was told to stay with her mother, Donna Jean Shreve, in Riviera Beach. But Shreve told Bidwell on Wednesday that Counes apparently went to live with her boyfriend in the Pompano Beach area.

Bidwell canceled the bond at Shreve's request and ordered that Counes be held in the county jail until a mental health facility bed became available.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...52_1_bidwell-mental-health-facility-boyfriend

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back