TX TX - Iola, near Bull Creek Bridge, WhtFem 13-19, UP4611, 1904 coin ring, mechanic's cloth, Oct'81

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
I came across this article about an unidentified teenager found on October 25, 1981 and could not find a listing on the Doe Network. Also I couldn't find her listed on the Texas Unidentified Person's Website.

Her description does closely resemble a female that was found in January 1981, but it appears they are two different Jane Doe's.

Unidentified Female
NO PHOTO OR RECONSTRUCTION

Date found: October 29, 1981
Place Found: Grimes County, Texas
Cause of death: Blunt trauma
Estimated date of death: 1976-1980

Sex: Female
Race: White
Height: 5'3"-5'4"
Weight: Medium build
Hair: Red or Auburn hair
Dentals: Extensive dental work - about 14 fillings

Distinguishing Characteristics: There was evidence of prior abuse as several ribs had been broken but were healed.

Jewelery/clothing: She was found wearing only a pair of pink panties and a coin ring with the year "1904" engraved on it.

Circumstances of discovering the body:
According to reports, on Oct. 29, 1981, a worker with the Texas Highway Department came across the remains while working on F.M. 244, just south of Iola near Bull Creek Bridge.

The body was inside a large plastic bag, which also contained a type of rag commonly used by mechanics. An investigation was launched by the Grimes County Sheriff's Department and the Texas Rangers, but the identity of the girl was never established and no local children were reported missing about that same time.

Additional Crime Scene information:
The report indicated that the body likely decomposed in a different location from where it was discovered, and the girl likely was killed between one and five years before being found in 1981. It's a detail that debunks Lucas' confession, in which he said he had dumped his victim's body shortly after killing her.

Higginbotham theorizes that the girl likely was physically abused and eventually killed. She possibly had dropped out of school, he said. Considering the condition of the body, Higginbotham said, the killer or killers may have stored the body in a cool, dry place - possibly a closet - where it decomposed over several years.

He said the killer probably needed to get rid of the body, then placed it in a bag and dumped it on the side of the road in 1981.

Contact: Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Travis Higginbotham at the Grimes County District Attorney's Office at 936-873-2137 or Todd Green at 936-873-2151.

Information from: http://www.theeagle.com/stories/020106/nation_20060201001.php

Please note: There was another unidentified female, located in Harris County, Texas in January 1981. Some of the stats are the same, therefore, you may see the same people being presented as possible matches on both threads. Please go the thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35813
to find information about the January 1981 Jane Doe.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1725dfmi.html[/size][/font]

LSNickell.jpg

Linda Sue Nickell
Missing since February 2, 1976 from Flint, Genesee County, Michigan
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: September 17, 1955
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 130 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blondish-red hair; green eyes.
* Marks, Scars: Healed fracture to right arm as a result of car crash.
* Clothing: Linda was last seen wearing blue jeans, a red top and a maroon jacket.
* Dentals: Not Available. The following teeth were extracted in 1973: #3, #13 and #14.
* Fingerprints: Not Available.

Possible match?
1. Both Jane Doe and Linda are 5'4"
2. Jane Doe is described as "medium build", Linda was 130lbs.
3. Jane Doe is thought to be 16-17, Linda was 20 (within 3 years)
4. Dental information is inconclusive as they talk about 2 different things.
5. Jane Doe's hair is described as Red or Auburn, Linda's is described as Blondish Red... I really don't know if this matches up.
6. Jane Doe had previously broken ribs. Linda had been in a car crash and had a healed fracture to her right arm. Nothing was said about Jane Doe's arm, nor Linda's ribs but I'm wondering if the broken ribs could have happened in the car crash?
7. Linda disappeared from Flint, Michigan. Because the body was moved from a cool place to Texas at some unknown point, I believe the geographical distance is possible.

...lots of questions and few answers in this possible match.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/36dfva.html[/size][/font]

Tammy Lynn Akers
Missing since February 7, 1977 from Roanoke, Roanoke County, Virginia.
Classification: Endangered Missing

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: June 28, 1962
# Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 85 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Red hair; blue eyes.
# Marks, Scars: Akers has a protruding navel and a black mark on her cheek. She also has scarred earlobes.
# Clothing: Jeans, a green short sleeved sweater, suede shoes and a suede jacket.

Possible match?
1. Both Jane Doe and Tammy are 5'4"
2. Jane Doe is described as "medium build", Tammy was only 85lbs <<DISCREPANCY Was Tammy underweight or petite?
3. Jane Doe is thought to be 16-17, Tammy was 14 when she disappeared in 1977.
4. Dental information is inconclusive as they talk about 2 different things.
5. Jane Doe's hair is described as Red or Auburn, Tammy's is described as Red - Match
6. Jane Doe had previously broken ribs. Tammy is believed to have been molested repeatedly by Earl Bramblett. There is no mention of physical abuse though (as in prior broken ribs).
7. Tammy disappeared from Roanoke, Virginia. Because the body was moved from a cool place to Texas at some unknown point, I believe the geographical distance is possible.

Doc the Doe Network is having bandwidth problems. The photos were not available yesterday, came up this morning, then the photos again were not available in the last hour. I suspect they will once again be available once the technical problems are ironed out.

I always try to post the originating link, so you can take a peek there.

Please note: In this case there is NO photo/reconstruction of the unidentified person available.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/338dfmo.html[/size][/font]

CScherer1.jpg

Cheryl Ann Scherer
Missing since April 17, 1979 from Scott City, Scott County, Missouri.
Classification: Involuntary

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: August 19, 1959
# Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 100 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Red long hair; blue eyes.
# Marks, Scars: Scherer has a mole near her navel. She has a dark brown-colored birthmark between her shoulder blades.
# Dentals: Available
# Other: DNA available.

Possible match?
1. Jane Doe is listed as 5'3"-5'4". Cheryl is listed as 5'1" <<its within 2" so its close but I wonder if Cheryl had grown since she was last measured?
2. Jane Doe is described as "medium build", Cheryl was 100lbs. - don't know if this is close.
3. Jane Doe is thought to be 16-17, Cheryl was 19 (within 2 years)
4. Jane Doe's hair is described as Red or Auburn (no length mentioned), Cheryl is described as having long Red hair... - match on color.
6. Jane Doe had previously broken ribs. There is no mention of a previous injury to Cheryl <<DISCREPANCY
7. Cheryl disappeared from Scott City, Missouri. She is thought to have been abducted during a robbery. Could the robber have stored her body, in a cool place, then at a later time moved it to Texas at some unknown point? I believe the geographical distance is possible - not sure of the climate though...

PonderingThings said:
Doc the Doe Network is having bandwidth problems. The photos were not available yesterday, came up this morning, then the photos again were not available in the last hour. I suspect they will once again be available once the technical problems are ironed out.

I always try to post the originating link, so you can take a peek there.

Please note: In this case there is NO photo/reconstruction of the unidentified person available.
Thanks for the kind response.
Yes, I am aware of their bandwidth troubles. One thing often done to help minimize the drain on bandwidth is to block offsite linking to images. Although I haven't looked to see if they still do it, Yahoo once blocked offsite links to images for the free geocities websites. It is also possible that whenever the doenetwork bandwidth usage exceeds a certain average usage per hour that the offsite linking is blocked until the average usage numbers drop back to acceptable limits. And, as you say there might also be other reasons to block the image links temporarily but in light of the recent bandwidth troubles I automatically associated the image link blocking with the bandwidth problem due to previous experiences as I mentioned.

Doc I think you might be right. The first thing that's inaccessible is the photos - the pages still appear and can be googled, but not all the photos on the pages are available. So perhaps they are attempting to minimize the strain this way? Don't know, but thanks for pointing out the possibility.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/342dfpa.html[/size][/font]

TKing.jpg

Tracy Anne King
Missing since July 8, 1975 from Littlestown, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non Family Abduction

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: October 11, 1960
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 110 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Red hair; blue eyes.
# Marks, Scars: King has a scar on her right ankle. She has pockmarks on her temple.

Possible match?
1. Jane Doe is estimated at 5'3" and Tracy is listed as 5'3"
2. Jane Doe is described as "medium build", Tracy was 110lbs.
3. Jane Doe is thought to be 16-17, Tracy was 14 (almost 15)
4. Jane Doe's hair is described as Red or Auburn, Tracy's is described as Red... Match.
5. Jane Doe is estimated to have died 1976-1980. Tracy disappeared in 1975 - this is one year earlier than the range.
6. Jane Doe had previously broken ribs. There is no mention of Tracy ever having broken ribs. Maybe undisclosed?
7. Tracy disappeared from Littlestown, PA. Because the body was moved from a cool place to Texas at some unknown point, I believe the geographical distance is possible.

[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/58dftx.html[/size][/font]

LWilson.jpg

Lisa Renee Wilson
Missing since December 23, 1974 from Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: August 29, 1960
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 110 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, shoulder-length hair; brown eyes.
# Marks, Scars: Scar on her thigh
# Clothing: Wilson was last seen wearing red and white sneakers and a pale yellow-green T-shirt with "Sweet Honesty" printed across the front.

Possible match?
1. Jane Doe is estimated at 5'3" and Lisa is listed as 5'2"
2. Jane Doe is described as "medium build", Lisa was 110lbs.
3. Jane Doe is thought to be 16-17, Lisa was 14
4. Jane Doe's hair is described as Red or Auburn, Lisa's is listed as brown, but in the photo it looks to me to be red tinted... may just be the photo though.
5. Jane Doe is estimated to have died 1976-1980. Lisa disappeared in 1974 - this is two years earlier than the range but Lisa was abducted (with two other girls) so perhaps she was held for a time?
6. Jane Doe had previously broken ribs. There is no mention of Lisa ever having broken ribs. Maybe undisclosed?
7. Lisa disappeared from Fort Worth, Texas. Because the body was moved from a cool place to another county in Texas at some unknown point, I believe the geographical distance is possible. This is the closest geographical location I have come up with so far.

I wish there was more information about the coin ring. I tried search for missing+female+coin+ring and came up with nothing.... then I checked out just the coin ring and hit paydirt!
rings.jpg

Facinating link here:
http://www.finkbuilt.com/blog/two-bit-wedding-rings/

It seems most of the rings are made of silver coins and are relatively easy to make. Some people have made them out of other coins as well.

Be sure to check out he comments at the end of the article.

Of course it could be a ring like Stevie Ray Vaughan's gold coin ring. This is what I originally envisioned.

jewelry-rings.jpg

http://www.stevieray.com/images/art/coinrings.htm

I sent off an email, through the Court Coordinator, inviting the investigators Travis Higginbotham, or Todd Green, to take a peek at what I was able to select from the "public" missing person's information on the net. I wish there was something more concrete to offer, but perhaps there is something here that will help identify the girl?

I received a super nice email from Mr. Higginbotham. They are currently looking into the possibility of this girl being Cheryl Ann Scherer. Confirmation must still be done through DNA and dental.

He mentioned he appreciated the effort to find matches. Hopefully they will be able to give this young girl her name back soon.

http://www.navasotaexaminer.com/articles/2006/02/07/news/news01.txt

LeFlore continued his investigation in the intervening years, and there is little or no doubt in his mind it was the work of Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole, two of America's most notorious serial killers.

With assistance from Texas Rangers and other agencies, said LeFlore, Lucas, was transported to Madisonville, where Leflore took him into custody in May 1984. “I was advised not to tell him anything (about this case),” said LeFlore, “so I asked him if he remembered killing anyone in the area in 1981.” The convicted killer replied he and Toole had killed a girl at a rest stop on Interstate 45 north of Huntsville. Lucas indicated he may have picked her up somewhere in the Carolinas.

“I asked him how he killed her and he said he strangled her, so I figured he didn't do it,” said LeFlore. But as Lucas continued to retell what happened, he added that Toole hit the woman in the head with a tire iron while he (Lucas) was strangling her. That led LeFlore to ask what happened to the body.

“He said they dumped it outside some town with a woman's name, so I asked him if he could show me where.”

LeFlore had given Lucas no information that would have steered the killer one direction or another, and at Lucas' directions, said Leflore, the two left Madisonville on S.H. 21 headed for North Zulch. Lucas even remembered turning off S.H. 21.

As they approached the S.H. 39 intersection, said LeFlore, Lucas saw the road sign for Iola and said that was the name of the town. “He told me he and Toole had broken into the Dairy Queen in Iola and stolen some chips off a rack, but there's not a Dairy Queen in Iola and never has been one,” said LeFlore. “When we got to Iola he pointed out where he and Toole had stolen the chips. It was a cafe with a rear window where they served out food during the lunch rush. When they weren't using the window, they put a chip rack in front of it.”

LeFlore later checked sheriff's reports and discovered an incident report had indeed been filed by the owners - and that chips had been stolen.

As the two drove south from Iola on F.M. 244, LeFlore asked Lucas if he saw anything familiar. Lucas, said LeFlore, said he remembered a fence and a green gate near where he and Toole supposedly dumped the body.

As they approached the scene, LeFlore pulled to a stop. By this time, the roadway had been paved and widened, the slope to the ditch had been reduced, the fence moved and the bridge revamped.

“Henry, get out and look around and see if you see anything you remember,” LeFlore recalled telling the killer. “After about five minutes, I told him it was time to go. That's when he told me, ‘If this ditch was deeper and the fence was closer, and the road was gravel, I'd say we dumped her right here.' The spot he pointed to was about six feet from where we found her,” LeFlore said.

Lucas died of heart failure in his prison cell in 2001. Toole died of cirrosis of the liver while in prison in 1996. Both were serving life terms.

I checked on Doenetwork and they are currently working on adding her to the site.

PonderingThings said:
This link detailing how Henry Lee Lucas claimed to have killed a girl and dumped her where Jane Doe was found is a very interesting one. It would seem to indicate that the girl was actually killed in 1981, some time prior to when she was found in October of that same year.

The story mentioned how a police report told of owners of a restaurant reporting a break-in and that this might tend to corroborate the story told by Lucas. What was that exact date? This would really help to narrow down when the girl was killed.

IF Lucas and O'Toole were indeed the girl's killers, then she could not be Tracy Anne King (missing from PA in 1975). Lucas was not released from prison in Michigan until 1976. The 1981 death date might tend to eliminate some of the other possible matches as well.

The problem with Lucas is that he lied so much, you would have to verify everything he said. In this case, it would seem that he got much of his information straight (without prompting). So perhaps his story of picking her up in "the Carolinas" might be correct.

Has anyone done a "timeline" on these two characters to determine where they were known to be at various times?

Do you all think this might be a match - I think the uid resembles lisa wilson very closely and it appears this uid was held for some time.

543UFTX.jpg

link to uid: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/543uftx.html

Unidentified White/Hispanic Female

• The victim was discovered on October 29, 1981 in Grimes County, Texas.
  • Estimated Date of Death: 1 - 5 years (1976 - 1980)
  • Cause of Death: Blunt trauma to the head.
  • Formerly Hot Case # 76
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 13 - 19 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1" - 5'5".
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Red or auburn hair.
  • Skeletal Findings: There was evidence of prior abuse as several ribs had been broken but were healed.
  • Clothing: She was found wearing only a pair of pink panties.
  • Jewelry: a coin ring with the year "1904" engraved on it.
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Available; she had extensive dental work with about 14 fillings.
  • DNA: mtDNA Available
Case History
The victim was located by a worker with the Texas Highway Department in Grimes County, Texas on October 29, 1981. She was found on F.M. 244, just south of Iola near Bull Creek Bridge.
The body was inside a large plastic bag, which also contained a type of rag commonly used by mechanics. An investigation was launched by the Grimes County Sheriff's Department and the Texas Rangers, but the identity of the girl was never established and no local children were reported missing about that same time. Authorities theorize that the girl likely was physically abused and eventually killed. She possibly had dropped out of school. Considering the condition of the body, the killer or killers may have stored the body in a cool, dry place - possibly a closet - where it decomposed over several years. The killer probably needed to get rid of the body, then placed it in a bag and dumped it on the side of the road in 1981.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LWilson.jpg

Lisa Renee Wilson
Missing since December 23, 1974 from Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: August 29, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, shoulder-length hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar on her thigh
Clothing: Wilson was last seen wearing red and white sneakers and a pale
yellow-green T-shirt with "Sweet Honesty" printed across the front. Dentals: Available. Very few restorations.
DNA: Available.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/58dftx.html link to lisa renee wilson

i can't open the pics. Can you post the links?

I editted and added the links again , i can see the pics - its weird lately - on some threads i can see the doe net pics and some i cannot also .

Thank you A4A. I believe the ring found on the UID would be key. Also, they say she had 14 fillings and the missing had little dental work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back