CA - Wind-Driven Thomas Fire Explodes to 31,000 Acres; 150 Structures Destroyed, 2017

byo

WS Liaison
Staff member
WS Liason
Reaction score
Website
www.websleuths.com
Wind-Driven Thomas Fire Explodes to 31,000 Acres; 150 Structures Destroyed
Posted 4:44 AM, December 5, 2017, by Anthony Kurzweil and Lauren Lyster, Updated at 06:43AM, December 5, 2017

A wind-driven brush fire that broke out north of Santa Paula Monday afternoon, forcing thousands of evacuations, has destroyed dozens of structures and burned into the Ventura city limits Tuesday morning.

The fire, dubbed the Thomas Fire, exploded to 31,000 acres — nearly 50 square miles — overnight and is 0 percent contained, according to Ventura County’s emergency information website.

(. . . )

Southern California fires forces thousands to flee homes

WireAP_e954ab60ab4249b591cac8fc50a57520_12x5_992.jpg

Ferocious Santa Ana winds raking Southern California whipped explosive wildfires Tuesday, prompting evacuation orders for thousands of homes.

The biggest blaze broke out Monday in Ventura County and grew wildly to more than 48 square miles (124 sq. kilometers) in the hours that followed, sheriff's Sgt. Eric Buschow said.

Another fire erupted on the north edge of Los Angeles, threatening the Sylmar and Lakeview Terrace neighborhoods, where residents scrambled to get out.

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wir...nia-fire-forces-evacuation-400-homes-51580009

I am here in between the 2 fires. They are so bad and growing so fast

There's now a third one :(

I am here in between the 2 fires. They are so bad and growing so fast

My husband tried to get to our home....was turned away! Not looking too good right now. I am away working up state...All my neighbors were evacuated last night.

My husband tried to get to our home....was turned away! Not looking too good right now. I am away working up state...All my neighbors were evacuated last night.

So sorry to hear that, IQuestion! I hope everything will be ok for you and your neighbors. I found it troubling to read in the news that the fire is 0% contained. Here's hoping they start getting it under control.

Looks like it's now burning homes northeast of Ventura College. Going pretty fast down these residential streets. Wind is blowing the embers from house to house. All fire units are up in the foothills, trying to get some into this neighborhood.

ETA: Helicopters and fixed wing aircraft are grounded because of high winds in the area, so they can't do water drops.

The winds are sustained 30mph with gusts to 60. Power was already sporadic before the fires with lots of downed trees and it's going to be at least Thursday before the winds die down

Thanks BETTYP govt offices/personnel are busy trying to evacuate people. I read the up-to-date and it has jumped the 33 and headed to Ojai (some people refer to the Ojai Valley as Shangrila....because it is so beautiful.) As it stands right now, we do not know if our home is undamaged. But saw some pictures less than 100 feet from my home. We are insured and it is only a house...
I am more concerned for the safety of the residents and firefighters who have been working all night. LIFE IS PRECIOUS.

Thanks BETTYP govt offices/personnel are busy trying to evacuate people. I read the up-to-date and it has jumped the 33 and headed to Ojai (some people refer to the Ojai Valley as Shangrila....because it is so beautiful.) As it stands right now, we do not know if our home is undamaged. But saw some pictures less than 100 feet from my home. We are insured and it is only a house...
I am more concerned for the safety of the residents and firefighters who have been working all night. LIFE IS PRECIOUS.

True, life is precious, that's what matters most. I just hate to see people go through so much so close to the holidays. We recently had some weather related damage to our home and local area. It's stressful having to deal with insurance companies, contractors, etc.

Prayers to all. Most importantly stay safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back