1074 users online (238 members and 836 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IQuestion View Post
    Power is out in some areas and sporadic at best, but people with cell phones are able to communicate.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/we...acuate-n826576
    Update: We lost our home. Same for our next door neighbor and house across the street.

So sorry, hope you and yours are safe. Hugs.
    "Is this the Briscoe dame? Listen, I see that brat 'a yours with that gun packer, Jones." - The Texas Tornado, 1928

CARIOCA...also Lilibet, Whitelilac, ElleyMae, Coastal and Mistivon....I am still a little shaky and suffering from shock. My husband is at the hospital right now, he has gone so long without sleep...over 24 hours and was not even able to get his medication or anything else....only the clothes he was wearing. He is dehydrated and a little light headed and needs to get rx's filled immediately. The firemen let him get close enough to see the ashes of our home this afternoon....there is not even a frame left....just ashes. He said it looks as if a firebomb went off in our neighborhood. We will be OK....and the only thing I miss right now are the pictures of our family....all gone.
    Words fail me, IQ. Just know that we care. I hope you have local support...family, friends. More hugs.
    FOUR YEARS IS 1460 DAYS TOO LONG!!
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE KNOWS SOMETHING! SPEAK UP!
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON

MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

Ventura County wildfire rages over 50,000 acres, destroys more than 150 structures; 27,000 flee
    By Ruben Vives Laura J. Nelson Sarah Parvini Matt Hamilton Sonali Kohli | Dec 05, 2017 | 5:20 PM

Firefighters had not achieved any containment on the fire as of 5 p.m. Tuesday, as authorities expanded mandatory and voluntary evacuation areas and opened new shelters throughout the county.

"This fire is very dangerous and spreading rapidly, but we'll continue to attack it with all we've got," Brown said. "It's critical residents stay ready and evacuate immediately if told to do so."
    (. . .)

Power outages also caused problems for firefighters Monday night and rendered some pumping systems inoperable, said Ventura County Fire Capt. Steve Kaufmann. Some hydrants couldn't get water pumped to them because there was no power, he said.

At one point in Ojai, the entire water system went down, including hydrants and drinking water, because a pumping system was damaged by the fire, Kaufmann said.
    (. . . )
    I'm sorry, IQ.

So sorry to any WSers going through this. I also think about all the poor animals who can't escape fast enough.

IQuestion ... what a terrible experience for you. I'm so glad that you and your husband are safe.

Someone in the beginning of the thread thought that this is late in the season for Santa Ana winds.
    I think it was the first week in December 2011, that incredibly destructive winds occured, with power outages lasting for weeks in many areas.
    The fires are just awful. I am in the hills of the Pasadena area, watching our mountains apprehensively.
    Be the most brilliant color in the box!

Quote Originally Posted by charminglane View Post
    Someone in the beginning of the thread thought that this is late in the season for Santa Ana winds.
    I think it was the first week in December 2011, that incredibly destructive winds occured, with power outages lasting for weeks in many areas.
    The fires are just awful. I am in the hills of the Pasadena area, watching our mountains apprehensively.
    Thanks! I was the one wondering if it was late. I had forgotten about those winds in December 2011. My weather hobbiest husband corrected me after I posted. We get a milder version of the Santa Ana winds here in our part of southern Oregon called the Ashlander wind. Just this evening the wind came up and raised the temperature 12 degrees in about two or three minutes from 37 to 49. Thankfully, we’ve had a little rain recently in our relatively dry part of Oregon.

But nothing compares to the Santa Anas. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected or who are on watch.

My best friend is in a mandatory evacuation zone. They left immediately.
    They were able to get pictures of their deceased daughter, wedding pictures, people and animals.
    They forgot other things like family heirlooms and other cherished items.

Others who are closer to the flames are staying. WITH CHILDREN.
    I will never understand what parents feel this is an acceptable risk.
    When police come down your street with megaphones reminding you that you will NOT BE RESCUED... how do you stay there with your CHILDREN?

It should be child endangerment to not leave in a mandatory evacuation zone.
    One person already died trying to drive out of the fire. In the earlier California fires children were killed trying to FLEE.
    Yes, you may be safe but when you have children it's not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    My best friend is in a mandatory evacuation zone. They left immediately.
    They were able to get pictures of their deceased daughter, wedding pictures, people and animals.
    They forgot other things like family heirlooms and other cherished items.

Others who are closer to the flames are staying. WITH CHILDREN.
    I will never understand what parents feel this is an acceptable risk.
    When police come down your street with megaphones reminding you that you will NOT BE RESCUED... how do you stay there with your CHILDREN?

It should be child endangerment to not leave in a mandatory evacuation zone.
    One person already died trying to drive out of the fire. In the earlier California fires children were killed trying to FLEE.
    Yes, you may be safe but when you have children it's not worth the risk.
    This should be screamed from the rooftops!
    Be the most brilliant color in the box!

Power is out in some areas and sporadic at best, but people with cell phones are able to communicate.
    Update: We lost our home. Same for our next door neighbor and house across the street.
    I am so so sorry. Horrible news. Fire is my worst fear and it makes my heart race to hear someone has lost their home. I hope and pray your husband is ok. Hugs to you both!

Quote Originally Posted by charminglane View Post
    This should be screamed from the rooftops!
    I posted this on facebook, maybe the remaining idiots staying will think twice.

Both children gone, parents still unaware: The unimaginable agony of the Shepherd family

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcaria...103-story.html

CARIOCA...also Lilibet, Whitelilac, ElleyMae, Coastal and Mistivon....I am still a little shaky and suffering from shock. My husband is at the hospital right now, he has gone so long without sleep...over 24 hours and was not even able to get his medication or anything else....only the clothes he was wearing. He is dehydrated and a little light headed and needs to get rx's filled immediately. The firemen let him get close enough to see the ashes of our home this afternoon....there is not even a frame left....just ashes. He said it looks as if a firebomb went off in our neighborhood. We will be OK....and the only thing I miss right now are the pictures of our family....all gone.
    IQuestion

I'm so sorry you've lost your home to this fire today. I hope your DH is okay. Thank you for keeping us informed. Please, let us know how to help you.
    Last edited by FindHG; 12-06-2017 at 01:31 AM.
    my opinions only

Good (trite greeting rather than condition) evening to my pals on WS. (Btw you guys are terrific.) I have been reading your posts and so much to say. 1) I wish I had down loaded my family pictures to the cloud. Losing the pictures of my deceased child makes me feel as if someone has cut my heart in half! They are stored on the computer of my home office, which is now just a pile of ashes. From my balcony, I could always see the cemetary in the distance and always feel a closeness that few can comprehend. Tomorrow I will grieve losing that beautiful view and the glimmering Pacific Ocean beyond. I would always wake up and think how lucky I was to be living in the most gorgeous place on earth! I will miss the sweetest oranges from my trees, the avocados tree we nurtured to maturity, and the candy cane geraniums that bloomed year round.
    2) Many of my neighbors had disconnected from land lines and used only cell phones, so they were not informed via the REVERSE 911 ALERT SYSTEM and were only aware of evacuation by police banging on their doors and trying to get everyone out of the area. The wind gusts were up to 70MPH and the fire spreading and acre per minute! It was a virtual fire storm moving at break neck speed. 3) Even though we had a fire hydrant 40 feet from our front door....there was no pressure left in the system and no more water left on the firetrucks. The winds were blowing so strongly (70 MPH gusts) the helicopters and planes could not be safely deployed to drop water or flame retardants on the area. The firefighters were fighting a firestorm from hell and I am thankful they will be able to go home to their families. No one should have to risk their life for a "structure".....it can always be rebuilt at a later time. 4) The insurance company has already cut a check to my darling husband for temporary housing, food and clothing...(and even for refilling his meds that perished in the fire).absolutely incredible service.....so pay your insurance premiums! My husband reckoned the devastation to the time he spent in Viet Nam....the smells, the destruction, wide-eyed disbelief at the total loss of all we had worked for in our lives. He doesn't have and emotional outlet like I do with Websleuths, and (thus) he is suffering a lot more than me. He is holding so much inside, trying to be the strong one..... he is on autopilot, one which comes from years of serving his country in the worst of times and seeing the aftermath of war.
    My love to you all..... I don't know what to do next. How do I begin from nothing left?
    Last edited by IQuestion; 12-06-2017 at 02:20 AM.

I am so sorry IQ.... my friend was able to grab her photo book of her deceased child.
    Hopefully there are some pictures of yours remaining somewhere?

Thank you, IQ, for sharing with us. I don't have the words or know what to say. Hold on tight. Everything you need most to get through this you have still, that's not been burned away, I'm sure. Do you have family or friends you can stay with for a few days until you find something temporary?
    Love to you both too.
    Last edited by FindHG; 12-06-2017 at 03:40 AM.
    my opinions only

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast