La Nina Has Arrived

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(AP Newswire)

Climate experts confirm La Nina

ATLANTA (AP) - Move over, groundhog! Climate experts say they
have a better prognosticator in La Nina (NEEN'-yuh).
Scientists say a mild cooling of Pacific Ocean waters could
coincide with stronger and more numerous hurricanes this year
. La
Nina often signals a wetter-than-average Pacific Northwest and a
drier South as well.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says La Nina
will probably be around through late spring and possibly into the
summer. Forecaster Mike Halpert confirms changes in the jet stream
and lower-than-normal water temperatures are clues that La Nina
already is at work, keeping much of the country warmer than usual
last month.
Because the agency has only about 50 years of data on La Nina
occurrences, it's too early to predict the ultimate effects.
Although more strong hurricane activity is expected in the
Atlantic.

Dark Knight said:
(AP Newswire)

Climate experts confirm La Nina

ATLANTA (AP) - Move over, groundhog! Climate experts say they
have a better prognosticator in La Nina (NEEN'-yuh).
Scientists say a mild cooling of Pacific Ocean waters could
coincide with stronger and more numerous hurricanes this year
. La
Nina often signals a wetter-than-average Pacific Northwest and a
drier South as well.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says La Nina
will probably be around through late spring and possibly into the
summer. Forecaster Mike Halpert confirms changes in the jet stream
and lower-than-normal water temperatures are clues that La Nina
already is at work, keeping much of the country warmer than usual
last month.
Because the agency has only about 50 years of data on La Nina
occurrences, it's too early to predict the ultimate effects.
Although more strong hurricane activity is expected in the
Atlantic.
Our Pacific Ocean waters here, around Santa Cruz, are already cold enough; we see a lot of people laying on the beach, but not whole lot of them get in the water; it's too cold.

I saw a diagram by NOAA meteorologists, and it showed how, with the water current shift, the warm water was going to move East through the Caribbean, into the Atlantic. That could cause big swings in the weather patterns, we are used to, here in the U.S.

Why don't you two start a WeatherSleuths site and post there and leave us poor people here at Websleuths alone.... :slap:

poco said:
Why don't you two start a WeatherSleuths site and post there and leave us poor people here at Websleuths alone.... :slap:
We're in the proper forum, Missy Magoo! :slap:

OK you two weather experts I have a question:

Normally, during an El Nino period, it is my understanding that Eastern Colorado has a wetter period. Supposedly the moisture from the heated Pacific flows up and into the area. The Rockies block absorb most of the moisture flowing in from the northwest. During this last period of El Nino, we really didn't have enough moisture.

Do I take it that now, with La Nina, we will be dry and not get the moisture we need to green the pastures and allow the winter weat to survive? Our dryland crops do need some moisture so we can provide you with your steak sandwiches (beef and wheat).

What effect does La Nina have on the upcoming tornado season? A lot of these storms are born here in Colorado. The down drafts off the Rockies blend with the moisture to create super cells, then move east, many producing tornados.

Buzzm1 said:
Our Pacific Ocean waters here, around Santa Cruz, are already cold enough; we see a lot of people laying on the beach, but not whole lot of them get in the water; it's too cold.

I saw a diagram by NOAA meteorologists, and it showed how, with the water current shift, the warm water was going to move East through the Caribbean, into the Atlantic. That could cause big swings in the weather patterns, we are used to, here in the U.S.

Well of course it is cold, it's WINTER time! :D

I hope El Nina keeps the South dry this season....we have had a LOT of water for about the past 4 years.

Cal

Interesting BarnGoddess,

I'm in Portland, and think we've had about one of the wettest winters ever. Only one day of snow, but days upon days of rain without hardly a sun break. That rings true of El Ninya, right guys?

I remember living at the coast when we had El Ninyo, and all the sand was pulled right off the beaches leaving many homes in peril for possibly falling in the ocean! Where there were beautiful beaches there were now cliffs. Especially if it was near the mouth of a river that met the ocean like in Waldport which is south of Newport Oregon.

The crazy thing is that when El Ninyo ended, all this lost sand was redeposited by Mother Nature right back where it had originally come from. Beat that! LOL

Ohhhhhhh Poco Yahoooooo! I thought you were going to pickle some Possum this morning. BaHaaaaaaaaaaa Haa Haa Hee

Scandi

Never mind, I checked to see if it was going to be warm enough to go out and try out my new saddle tomorrow and our local NOAA weather site in Goodland,KS had the following:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=gld&storyid=1342&source=0

snip

Historically, La Niña has been associated with below normal precipitation in the central High Plains, but appears to have little impact on temperature. However, taking into account the strong trend of above normal temperatures in the past decade associated with large scale climate change distinct from La Niña, temperatures will likely continue to be above normal. As a result, the forecast of a weak to moderate La Niña means an enhanced risk that drought conditions will re-develop in the Tri State area in the coming months. The official Seasonal Drought Outlook issued by Climate Prediction Center on January 19, 2006 placed all of the Tri State area under a “drought likely to develop” classification. This outlook is valid through April 2006. Drought conditions have already developed over large portions of Arizona, New Mexico, southern Colorado, north Texas and Oklahoma, and may expand as far north as Nebraska in the next few months.

There's lot's more in the article at the link. If you live in the area, check out the link.

It's been terribly dry here for several months; a fire hazzard. We finally got a bit of rain last week. Mild January, maybe one freeze in December. The lake is lower than it has been in years. Weird weather.

Marthatex said:
It's been terribly dry here for several months; a fire hazzard. We finally got a bit of rain last week. Mild January, maybe one freeze in December. The lake is lower than it has been in years. Weird weather.

yeah, weird weather...it's February 3rd, & we have our windows open here in Nashville; have for days...broken all kinds of record high's....no winter weather to speak of at all, so far...

WASHINGTON – The La Nina climate phenomenon is strengthening, increasing the likelihood an active hurricane season could get even busier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_on_sc/us_sci_la_nina

It's amazing how La Nina and El Nino in the Pacific can have such profound affects on hurricanes in the Atlantic. It seems like the frequency of the hurricanes is almost always directly related to La Nina or El Nino due to the wind shear it affects. Looks like another bumpy ride.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back