1257 users online (250 members and 1007 guests)  

Websleuths News

Interesting site on "How to Disappear"

I found this site and thought the essay was very interesting. I have not read the entire thing but enough to see that it seems to be written from a fugitives perspective. But could also apply to someone just wanting to run away.

"Leaving a little of your blood on the seat and on a knife you leave under a seat might also help confuse the authorities if they find your car. It might also instigate a massive hunt for your kidnaper, of course, but you might want the opposition to think you've not disappeared by choice"

http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/vanish.htm#Section3

Any thoughts??

GeorgiaGirl,
    This is indeed a very interesting article. Definitely a double edge sword though - if you needed to escape an abusive situation, this info would really help. On the other hand, it is like giving a want to be criminal an instruction manual. Thanks for the thought provoking read!

Another Anarchist's Cookbook...

Quote Originally Posted by georgiagirl
    I found this site and thought the essay was very interesting. ... Any thoughts??
    Writings like this are very imaginative and would make a great novel. When put out in this fashion, however, they are much like the Anarchist's Cookbook on how to make bombs. Some idiot will make use of them as a "How to" manual.

Fortunately most criminals are too stupid to think of these kinds of things on their own, but think of the aid and comfort this type of writing gives to a terrorist.

Some of the information regarding how to make something look like an abduction from a car - although presented as a way for an individual to fake his own abduction - is the type of information that would assist someone who kills a person and then wants to ditch that person's car, making their disappearance seem to be the work of armed robbers, and to make it seem to have taken place elsewhere.

I recall a case some 20 years back where a guy tried to fake his own death for insurance purposes, and burned his truck with animal bones inside to simulate his bones. He was caught later.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Writings like this are very imaginative and would make a great novel. When put out in this fashion, however, they are much like the Anarchist's Cookbook on how to make bombs. Some idiot will make use of them as a "How to" manual.

Fortunately most criminals are too stupid to think of these kinds of things on their own, but think of the aid and comfort this type of writing gives to a terrorist.

Some of the information regarding how to make something look like an abduction from a car - although presented as a way for an individual to fake his own abduction - is the type of information that would assist someone who kills a person and then wants to ditch that person's car, making their disappearance seem to be the work of armed robbers, and to make it seem to have taken place elsewhere.

I recall a case some 20 years back where a guy tried to fake his own death for insurance purposes, and burned his truck with animal bones inside to simulate his bones. He was caught later.
    That was precisely my thought as well. I wondered if someone had this kind of instruction would they be able to pull it off to look like they disappeared against their will?
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

I bet they don't mention in the article that using those instructions to fake an abduction, could lead to criminal charges......remember the runaway bride?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight