1195 users online (238 members and 957 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AL - FBI investigating fires at 6 Alabama churches, Centreville,2006

CENTREVILLLE, Ala. (AP) The FBI is investigating a string of suspected arson fires that damaged five rural Alabama churches late Thursday and early Friday

<snip>

The fires were set "as fast as they could drive from one location to the next," Bibb County Chief Deputy Sheriff Kenneth Weems said of the cluster of blazes, all near U.S. 82 and Highway 139.

more at link http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tm?POE=NEWISVA
    Retired 08/03/03

There are 3 more church fires as of today... just heard it on MSNBC

http://www.ksat.com/news/6808946/detail.html

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- A spokesman for the Alabama Insurance Department now says a fourth Baptist church was damaged by fire overnight.

Ragan Ingram said the Gallilee Baptist church in the Panola community in Sumter County, Ala., also suffered fire damage. Three other churches -- Dancy First Baptist Church near Aliceville, Ala., Spring Valley Baptist Church near Emelle, Ala., and Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church near Boligee, Ala.

This comes after 11 fires have been set in Churchs here.

WHITE PLAINS, Ala. - An arrest has been made in a vacant church fire in East Alabama. Officials said the burning of the old White Plaines Church of God Monday night in White Plains, which is in Calhoun County, was not related to the other 10 church fires in West Alabama.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11354168/

AL - Two men arrested in the Alabama church fires

and another man is targeted for arrest. They are all college students living in Birmingham.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187183,00.html

Post add comment

I am glad they finally caught these morons! And they did this because?????

BTW, Welcome to WS!
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious J
    and another man is targeted for arrest. They are all college students living in Birmingham.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187183,00.html
    This is great news--hopefully they will round all of them up, and make an example of them, so the rest of their brethren understand.

When are they going to be called terrorists, because that's what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    This is great news--hopefully they will round all of them up, and make an example of them, so the rest of their brethren understand.
    On the news, it was said, that they face up to 45 years in prison. I wonder if they just consider it "just a joke" now??

Quote Originally Posted by montana_16
    When are they going to be called terrorists, because that's what they are.
    Actually the original definition of the term vandals applies here.

Drinking May Have Fueled Ala. Church Fires

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Three college students suspected of a string of Alabama church fires may have been out drinking when they began their spree, authorities said.
    Benjamin Nathan Moseley and Russell Lee DeBusk Jr., both 19-year-old theater students at Birmingham-Southern College, were arrested this week along with 20-year-old Matthew Lee Cloyd, who was studying pre-med at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Throughout the monthlong investigation, authorities said alcohol could have led to a warped bravado that sparked the arsons, and initial interviews with the suspects bore out the theory, according to one officer.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060310/...s/church_fires
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Breaking news via my Birmingham, Alabama Fox 6 tv station.

They are releasing the two 19 year olds and the 20 year old from jail on 50,000 bond each, with special circumstances. They will wear monitoring anklets and the parents are in charge of making sure they don't do anything stupid and are required to turn them in if they violate any order from the court.

It's just sad.

Not sure how much info y'all get via your news but the school they went to is a Methodist founded school and all of the Churchs were Baptist. I've never thought they were targeted just because they were Baptist. No one else did either. They were a nasty crime but I don't think they were hate crimes per say.

At any rate, I thought it was very nice of the school to make an annoucement and they are sending folks and money to help the Church's rebuild. And not just because of the faith issue but because it just shows how people come together in times of need and trouble.

New update:

Attorney General asked the State Fire Marshall for warrants. They will be released from where they are if they pay bond and will be arrested outside that jail for these second warrants.

The charges are 5 counts each of 2nd degree arson for 5 Churches.

Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    Breaking news via my Birmingham, Alabama Fox 6 tv station.

They are releasing the two 19 year olds and the 20 year old from jail on 50,000 bond each, with special circumstances. They will wear monitoring anklets and the parents are in charge of making sure they don't do anything stupid and are required to turn them in if they violate any order from the court.

It's just sad.

Not sure how much info y'all get via your news but the school they went to is a Methodist founded school and all of the Churchs were Baptist. I've never thought they were targeted just because they were Baptist. No one else did either. They were a nasty crime but I don't think they were hate crimes per say.

At any rate, I thought it was very nice of the school to make an annoucement and they are sending folks and money to help the Church's rebuild. And not just because of the faith issue but because it just shows how people come together in times of need and trouble.

It sounds like these are hate crimes to me. Christian kids of one denomination targeting the churches of another denomination. They may not know WHY they hate the Baptists (probably have no idea what is the difference) but the fact that all the churches were Baptist is a fact that cannot be ignored.

The boys said it was a drunken prank that went too far. So far every law enforcement and others have said it was not a hate crime.

I think the reason most were Baptist is you can't throw a stick here without hitting one...seriously.

For the rural areas, I'd garner a guess and say most Churchs are Baptist of some form, either primitive, antioch, southern, freewill or antioch primitive, or one of the other varieties. They were looking for out of the way Churchs, they just happened to all be Baptist.

From a paper the Biblical Reporter,

"We're very relieved to know this had no political, racial or religious overtones," said Jim Parker, pastor of Ashby Baptist Church in Bibb County. "To the churches in our community, this was devastating. For a blow like that, you're looking for a reason. To think it was malicious vandalism, we're just kind of taken aback."

It really was just stupidity, alcohol, rural areas and a quick get away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast