02-04-2006, 03:13 PM #1Former member
- Join Date
- Dec 2005
MS - Ruth Annette Johnson Barber, 36, Gulfport, 31 May 1984
Ruth Annette Johnson Barber
Missing since May 31, 1984 from Gulfport, Harrison County, Mississippi.
* Date Of Birth: November 26, 1948
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 36 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4 - 5'6"; 150 - 165 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Bleached blonde hair with dark roots; hazel/green eyes.
* Marks, Scars: Scars on head and hands and scars on legs from infentigo.
* Dentals: Dentures and/or natural teeth
* Other: Fingerprints available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Ruth Annette Barber left her new job at a Gulf Coast lounge called Bobbie Magees Club. She was intoxicated. She got into a cab with a co-worker and was taken to the Holiday Inn on Highway 90 in Gulfport, Mississippi. When they arrived and the co-worker got out, Barber had passed out in the backseat. The cab driver woke her and she vacated the cab and walked towards Highway 90 and the beach. No one has seen her since that evening. Barber left her purse in the cab and it was later turned in by the cab driver. From that day on she has never been seen or heard from again.
Barber had recently been in California with a male who was wanted by the FBI. The man had been in trouble with the law for quite some time and was believed to be on the run.
Barber and her male friend arrived in Mississippi for her daughter's birthday, and was going to stay with the daughter for a short period of time.
Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 05-04-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: updated doe network link
02-04-2006, 03:16 PM #2Former member
- Join Date
- Dec 2005
There is a reward out for information:
But families hope the $5000 reward money may be just the incentive needed for someone to perhaps come forward and provide law enforcement with the tips they need to try to solve these two cases.
Gulfport Police Chief Steve Barnes announced the department's partnership with the Carole Sund/Carrington Foundation to offer reward money in an attempt to get some leads.
02-04-2006, 03:52 PM #3Former member
- Join Date
- Dec 2005
More pics at link
Ruth on left and right, Jane Doe Center
Unidentified White Female
* Discovered on June 20, 1984 in the Spokane River, Spokane County, Washington.
* Estimated age: 20 - 35 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3" - 5'7"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly blonde hair. Relatively thin. She had a 1 1/2 inch oval horizontal scar on her left knee cap, a faint 1/4 inch scar on her right knee cap, a scar of her left arm that measured 3 1/2 inches in length. There were 2 prominent moles noted on the front of her neck. She may have borne children.
* Dentals: Available. Imperfect teeth.
* Other: A DNA profile was done, no known match.
Two fishermen found the torso of the victim .08 miles west of the T.J. Meenach Bridge, on the south bank of the Spokane River, on June 20, 1984. The woman's skull was later found on 4-19-1998 at a vacant lot located at 7th Avenue and Sherman Street in Spokane.
She was dismembered.
According to this information she was dismembered while alive.
1. There is a strong resemblence between the photo and the sketch.
2. Age & heights are a match to the ranges given. Weight is off - Jane Doe is described as "relatively thin" while Ruth is described as 150-165lbs.
3. Jane Doe had "possibly blonde" hair and Ruth had dyed blonde hair.
4. Both Jane Doe and Ruth had scars. There is not enough detail to know if they are the same scars being discussed. There is no mention of moles in Ruth's description and can't be seen in photographs.
5. It is unclear to me what "imperfect teeth" means. Ruth had dentures/natural teeth.
6. Jane Doe "may" have borne children. Ruth had at least one daughter.
7. Jane Doe was found in Spokane, Washington. Ruth was reported missing from Gulfport, Miss. they are 2,584 mi (about 1 day 19 hours) apart.
**Ruth had just arrived in town, and got a job at a lounge. She had previously been with a man who was on the run from the FBI, in California.
What if he came after her and took her away with him? Killing Ruth when he got to Spokane. According to google maps its a pretty direct route from Gulfport to Spokane.
Alternately perhaps the man, who had been in trouble with police for some time, had crossed some "bad guys". They kidnapped her and tortured her to find out what she knew about his whereabouts?
....don't know about this one
Last edited by KateB; 09-26-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: updated doe network link.
By MistyGirl in forum Cold CasesReplies: 19Last Post: 12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
By anneinchicago in forum Cold CasesReplies: 2Last Post: 07-02-2014, 10:52 AM
By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A ProfileReplies: 1Last Post: 05-21-2013, 02:35 AM
By sweetpea657 in forum Missing Children in America - A ProfileReplies: 0Last Post: 04-25-2006, 05:26 AM
By golfmom in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat NewsReplies: 13Last Post: 06-04-2005, 05:05 PM