DISTRICT ATTORNEY ELECTION-Durham Co

SouthEastSleuth

Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to start a thread regarding the upcoming election for the new District Attorney for Durham County. This could certainly have some bearing on the on-going investigation of Janet's murder, as well as an eventual arrest and trial.

The Partisan Election is May 2, 2006.

The announced candidates are:

Freda Black (former Durham Co. ADA, and often remembered as the second chair for the Michael Peterson prosecution)

Mike Nifong (former Durham Co. ADA, appointed as DA to finish the term of former DA Jim Hardin after Hardin's appointment as a Superior Court judge)

Both announced candidates are registered Democrats, thus the Partisan Election will determine which candidate will run in the General Election, if necessary, in November.

Black and Hardin have very different styles and approaches to the prosecution of criminals, and, in their approaches to victim's and their families.

These are the campaign websites:

http://www.fredablack.com/

http://mikenifong.com/index.php

Note: Each site, of course, has a link for campaign donations, as well as contact information. Freda's site also has a bulletin board feature to post questions, comments, etc.

Something interesting to ponder:

The DA on the day Janet was murdered was sworn in as a Judge on April 28, 2005.

Michael Nifong was appointed DA by the Governor.

The day after Michael Nifong took office, he handed a resignation and asked Freda Black (one of the prosecutor's in the highly circumstantial evidence case - Michael Peterson Trial) to resign.

Freda Black signed the resignation paper and then went back to a private law practice.

Weeks after her resignation, rumors were floating around that Freda Black would then be running against the appointed DA, Michael Nifong.

This is going to be a heated campaign, and I believe that whomever wins the primary, Nifong or Black will end up being the DA come November.

Does anybody feel that this upcoming election and all of the "politics" that apparantly has been happening in Durham has anything to do with raven still being free?:waitasec:

ewwwinteresting said:
Does anybody feel that this upcoming election and all of the "politics" that apparantly has been happening in Durham has anything to do with raven still being free?:waitasec:
It's an interesting notion, but I doubt it has any bearing. LE is obviously being slow and methodical in this process. I predict that we'll see an arrest before the first anniversary of Janet's death.

NCBanker said:
It's an interesting notion, but I doubt it has any bearing. LE is obviously being slow and methodical in this process. I predict that we'll see an arrest before the first anniversary of Janet's death.
..i certainly hope that you're right-------------SO hard to believe that the 1 st anniversary is in less than 3 months!

..SOMEONE has had 9 months of freedom..............can't wait to hear the cell bars CLANG on the guilty party finally.............

So Nifong is a temporary replacement DA but wants to keep the job? Hmmm, I'm with you, EI. Sounds like politics might be an issue. Especially in a heated campaign - lots of time and energy would probably need to be devoted to that campaign.

NCBanker said:
Have you heard any gossip as to how heated this campaign is? I have found several articles regarding DA Nifong and several articles regarding Freda Black and from all accounts it seems to be very heated.

However, I am interested in the fact that within weeks of Janet's murder, rumors were flying about who may be running for DA in the elections, as DA Michael Nifong was appointed and there was much speculation about Freda Black running; there seems to be no love loss between the two.

I do believe you are correct that LE is being methodical in this process as to not have another Michael Peterson trial that was highly publicized and circumstantial. I also believe there will be an arrest in this case and am praying it will be before the one year anniversary of Janet's brutal murder.

Whomever wins this race, I hope they have the finest staff, the most savvy experts on their side, their ducks in a row, the dots connected and may the best man or woman win this race, as long as there is Justice for Janet.

terminatrixator said:
Have you heard any gossip as to how heated this campaign is? I have found several articles regarding DA Nifong and several articles regarding Freda Black and from all accounts it seems to be very heated.

However, I am interested in the fact that within weeks of Janet's murder, rumors were flying about who may be running for DA in the elections, as DA Michael Nifong was appointed and there was much speculation about Freda Black running; there seems to be no love loss between the two.

I do believe you are correct that LE is being methodical in this process as to not have another Michael Peterson trial that was highly publicized and circumstantial. I also believe there will be an arrest in this case and am praying it will be before the one year anniversary of Janet's brutal murder.
Relative to the campaign, if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Freda Black. The public developed a great love and appreciation for her during the Michael Peterson trial. In fact, the public was outraged when Nifong basically kicked her out. I HIGHLY doubt he'll win the election. Freda has strong support.

Well, my odds are on the arrest of Raven Abaroa, and I definitely hope whomever wins this election, they do the utmost job in prosecuting the case and get the maximum sentence allowable by law.

Thanks for the info on the race, I have been keeping an eye on it for a while now. I do know Freda Black did a great job prosecuting in Peterson East and what I know about Michael Nifong is he worked in the DA's office for a very long time and he was appointed to the DA's position by the Governor.

I'm more interested in Justice for Janet, but obviously the outcome of this race will have bearing on a trial in this case and who will or will not be handling this case in the future.

terminatrixator said:
Whomever wins this race, I hope they have the finest staff, the most savvy experts on their side, their ducks in a row, the dots connected and may the best man or woman win this race, as long as there is Justice for Janet.
Personally, I'm pulling for Freda. I think she's got a heart of gold and she seems to do what she does for all of the right reasons ... not for political power or prestige.

NCBanker said:
Relative to the campaign, if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Freda Black. The public developed a great love and appreciation for her during the Michael Peterson trial. In fact, the public was outraged when Nifong basically kicked her out. I HIGHLY doubt he'll win the election. Freda has strong support.
So we have one person running that put Peterson away with a high profile circumstancial case and another person running that has been in place and hasn't seem to have done much of anything, especially on this case? Hmmmm....doesn't sound like a very hard decision to me! It Nifong wants votes, he better start prosecuting the criminals faster than 9 months with NO other suspect.

ewwwinteresting said:
It Nifong wants votes, he better start prosecuting the criminals faster than 9 months with NO other suspect.
Especially if he's picking and choosing cases based on what they can do for his political aspirations.

JerseyGirl said:
Especially if he's picking and choosing cases based on what they can do for his political aspirations.
I agree! My money and my vote are going to Freda.

NCBanker said:
Are you giving odds on that prediction?...I'm feeling pessimistic about an arrest in the near future. Any inside info?

:laugh:
snapple said:
Are you giving odds on that prediction?
I'm thinking if we were betting people, we would have lost several months ago. Who would have thought a non-random, husband home at TOD, no other suspects case would still be going on 9 1/2 months later??:banghead:

I lost on a few occasions myself, but the biggest losers are Janet Marie Christiansen, her unborn child, Kaiden, all the friends and family of the victims.

I still feel there will be Justice in this case, and I refuse to give up hope that there will be an arrest, conviction, trial & oh so stiff sentence of the MURDERER in this horrendous crime!

My odds are 100% that the Murderer will be caught and sentenced, no odds taken on a date, time and place.

ses has supplied us with a general discussion message board on the one site:

http://www.fredablack.com/

..would it be worth it to start a thread of our own asking for justice ?

I went to Freda's site, and I must say that it makes me wish I lived in Durham so I could vote for her! It seems she has a similar personality to Nancy Grace?

This case needs to be addressed and an arrest needs to be made!

LTUlegal said:
I went to Freda's site, and I must say that it makes me wish I lived in Durham so I could vote for her! It seems she has a similar personality to Nancy Grace?

This case needs to be addressed and an arrest needs to be made!
I agree!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back