GA - Atlanta Airport Power Outage 17 Dec 2017

Inthedetails

Reaction score
Atlanta International Airport is having a power outage today. Flights into Atlanta have been delayed/canceled. People are stuck in the terminal without lights and power. People are stuck on planes on the tarmac.

Power went out at 1pm Sunday. No statement regarding the cause of the power outage.

Atlanta airport is the busiest airport in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/...lights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

wow an airport that doesn't have backup generators?

"Georgia Power spokesman John Kraft said the utility was working to determine the cause of the outage and restore electricity. He could not estimate when that might happen. No areas outside of the airport were affected by the power loss.

Airport spokesman Reese McCranie said some emergency power was later restored, but much of the huge facility was still without electricity."

https://apnews.com/0d4ee37c6bc2454e9778a9b7e2478845

http://abcnews.go.com/US/power-outages-atlantas-busy-airport-grounding-flights/story?id=51846395
attachment.php

"I don't know how long its been out but we've been standing here in the dark for about 35 minutes," traveler Kate Murphy told ABC News.

Another traveler described the scary scene in the blackout inside the terminals.
"The lights flickered once. That was really scary," Muhammad Saeed said. "And then they flickered again and they didn't come back. And it's been about an hour now and it's just pitch darkness in the airport."
It's unclear how widespread the outage is or what caused it.

Ann Mason, who was traveling to South Bend Indiana, told ABC News she saw smoke coming from one of the terminals and that people were told to evacuae.

"We were in Terminal D and we could see fire trucks all along terminal E and black smoke coming from the back probably from Terminal F," she said. "Terminal D got so bad that they told us to evacuate for the smoke and either got to Terminal C or to leave the building. I decided to leave the building."

"We were standing here and getting ready to get our boarding passes and the lights just went out all of a sudden," David Bergeron said. "They went out and then they went back on and then they went back out again, and that was it. We've been here ever since."

Atlanta police said they were trying to get everyone out of the airport, and were asking others not to come.

Attachments

• atl-diversions-2-ht-jt-171217_v4x3_12x5_992.jpg
    atl-diversions-2-ht-jt-171217_v4x3_12x5_992.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 93
"Cumming resident Katie Mull was stuck on her Delta flight for more than four hours. She was then stuck at the airport.

"We were so excited to leave the airplane finally and then they routed us to concourse S and once we got there, it was pitch black," Mull told Channel 2's Justin Wilfon by phone. "Security stopped us and told us we could no longer move due to the fact that the tunnels were so dark."

Mull said they began taking groups of fifty through the concourses led by flashlights. Mull said the mood was mostly calm inside the airport until there was reports of smoke and an electrical fire. She said travelers were frustrated because they didn't feel a plan was in place to get them out safely."

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/power-outage-reported-at-atlanta-airport/665254579

Just started following -- is there any indication is was sabotage?

I'm noticing people tweeting praises and thanks regarding airport/airline employees.

"Georgia Power believes the issue may have involved a fire which caused extensive damage in a Georgia Power underground electrical facility. The fire was safely extinguished by fire crews before Georgia Power could enter the area to assess damage and begin repairs.

"The event impacted not only the underground facilities, but also substations serving the Airport and, while the cause is not yet known, Georgia Power’s system responded by isolating areas where equipment wasn’t operating correctly to ensure safety and minimize damage. No personnel or passengers were in danger at any time."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/power-outage-reported-at-hartsfield-jackson/500047335

Unbelievable!

Five hours sitting in a plane on the tarmac and my claustrophobia would have me ???, I'm not sure what!! As long as the plane is moving, I am fine. Once it stops, I am one of those first ones out of my seat standing in the aisle. If not, feel like I am suffocating

What a mess Atlanta has on their hands! Everyone has missed their connections, trying to put them all up in hotels at this late hour plus feed them is a monumental job. I am assuming that Atlanta is responsible for all these delayed travelers as this is not an "act of God" as we are quoted so many times in the airlines trying to get out of compensating passengers.

Also, think of how many thousands of people are stranded since their flight can not get into Atlanta?

How many days will it take to get all the travelers affected to their destinations?
My heart goes out to all people, especially those moms traveling alone with little ones.

I can't imagine the looks of the toliets after five hours let alone the snacks, food, and drink supplies left. It has to be an emergency crisis at this point!

A friend just posted on facebook that they were kept on their plane on the tarmac for three and a half hours, and have just now been let off via the 'presidential stairs'. They are in the terminal now, and the restaurants are giving away food and drinks. There is nowhere to sit.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back