Patsy's hair dye

ellen13

Reaction score
Some of you know and were involved with the hair dye discussion on the house listing thread. Patsy was so young when they discovered her cancer and I'm just wondering if this had anything to do with it. Just food for thought..........I'm not in the medical world.

http://www.super-hair.net/dye.html

ellen13 said:
Some of you know and were involved with the hair dye discussion on the house listing thread. Patsy was so young when they discovered her cancer and I'm just wondering if this had anything to do with it. Just food for thought..........I'm not in the medical world.

http://www.super-hair.net/dye.html
I mean, I know she had ovarian cancer, but the bladder and the ovaries seem
closely related. I'm not trying to suggest that hair dye is going to cause cancer. I dye my hair also. However, this had always been in the back of my mind.

ellen13 said:
I mean, I know she had ovarian cancer, but the bladder and the ovaries seem
closely related. I'm not trying to suggest that hair dye is going to cause cancer. I dye my hair also. However, this had always been in the back of my mind.
This is like reading tax law. Your answer seems to depend on what article you read. I'm curious why they don't seem to think its the same kind of cell malfunction? failure? that causes grey hair that is the link. I'll keep on dyeing my hair but will see if I can find something more current and definitive.

http://www.breastcancer.org/research_diet_000002.html
Hair Dye and Breast Cancer Risk

No Link Found Between Hair Dye and Increased Breast Cancer Risk

European Journal of Cancer, Volume 38, 2002

Background and importance of the study: Some women worry about using hair-coloring products because they've heard that these products can increase their risk of getting breast cancer. Such products do contain substances that may cause changes in cells—changes that in other situations have been associated with cancer. But researchers have not been able to find a clear link between using hair dye and cancer risk, including the risk of breast cancer.

Tipper,

Like I said, I'm just bringing this up but I'm not sure how much influence it will have on my hair dyeing practices. I just thought it was somewhat worthwhile to discuss for anyone interested.
Thanks for your response.
Ellen

In regard to the use of hair dye and its possible connection to Patsy Ramsey's ovarian cancer:

From "The Doctors' Medical Library" QUESTIONS FOR DR. KENNEDY, Re. Hair Coloring and Lymphoma, 11/14/03

Author: Ron Kennedy, M.D.

"A study by Anastasia Tzonou, D.M.Sc., and colleagues at the Harvard School of Public Health and the University of Athens Medical School, published a report in the September 30, 1993 issue of the International Journal of Cancer, that suggested regular use of hair dye might increase the risk of ovarian cancer. The researchers asked 189 cancer patients and 200 hospital visitors how often they dyed their hair each year. Compared to women who had never dyed their hair, women who dyed their hair one to four times a year had a seventy percent increased risk for ovarian cancer. Women who used hair dye five or more times per year had twice the risk of developing ovarian cancer compared to women who never used hair dye."

http://www.medical-library.net/phorum/read.php?f=2&i=3692&t=...

BlueCrab

In one of the books I read, I think a Hodges book, it was stated that ovarian cancer was PREVALENT in Patsy's family. In fact, her sister Pam even had a hysterectomy when Patsy was struggling with her cancer because women in the family were so prone to it she just didn't want to take the chance. I do believe that is a direct quote from Pam in the book. So, I doubt hair dye had anything whatsoever to do with Patsy's cancer.

BlueCrab said:
In regard to the use of hair dye and its possible connection to Patsy Ramsey's ovarian cancer:

From "The Doctors' Medical Library" QUESTIONS FOR DR. KENNEDY, Re. Hair Coloring and Lymphoma, 11/14/03

"A study by Anastasia Tzonou, D.M.Sc., and colleagues at the Harvard School of Public Health and the University of Athens Medical School, published a report in the September 30, 1993 issue of the International Journal of Cancer, that suggested regular use of hair dye might increase the risk of ovarian cancer. The researchers asked 189 cancer patients and 200 hospital visitors how often they dyed their hair each year. Compared to women who had never dyed their hair, women who dyed their hair one to four times a year had a seventy percent increased risk for ovarian cancer. Women who used hair dye five or more times per year had twice the risk of developing ovarian cancer compared to women who never used hair dye."

BlueCrab
Wow BC-Thanks for the info!

BlueCrab said:

BlueCrab

Does this also include bleach? I'd think that the women in the study should be the same age but I doubt if they were . I just wonder if most of the women who actually already had the cancer were older women anyway. Older women are at much more risk of having ovarian cancer and also may have used talcom powder when they were younger and had more money to be exposed to all sorts of chemicals than maybe more natural or poorer women who have never colored their hair. Some women who never colored their hair at all might still be younger women also.

txsvicki said:
Does this also include bleach? I'd think that the women in the study should be the same age but I doubt if they were . I just wonder if most of the women who actually already had the cancer were older women anyway. Older women are at much more risk of having ovarian cancer and also may have used talcom powder when they were younger and had more money to be exposed to all sorts of chemicals than maybe more natural or poorer women who have never colored their hair. Some women who never colored their hair at all might still be younger women also.

txsvicki,

This was a very long article covering all types of cancers associated with hair coloring, and what I typed in my post was all it had to say about ovarian cancer. It never mentioned bleach, but I doubt if bleach was harmful because it seems that most of the alleged cancer-causing hair dyes were the dark colors, such as black.

BlueCrab

I remember when Jackie Kennedy O was diagnosed with lymphoma (or was it Non-Hodgkins?) there was lots of TV coverage on hair dye causing this. I don't remember specifics, as I was a mere babe. ;)

Ladies (and some men),

Here's a good article by Robert Filice, M.D. about cancer-causing hair dyes. The gist of it is to not use dyes that contain PPED (para-phenylenediamine). Use only dyes that have natural bases to them.

Patsy Ramsey also smoked, and the article states that graying of hair is four times more likely in smokers (which causes more hair dyes to be used).

http://www.thecompounder.com/ishairdyedangerous.html

BlueCrab

I laughed at that excerpt posted that 70% of women who dye their hair had an increased risk of ovarian cancer because all they did to come up with that was ask how many women out of 189 CANCER patients dyed their hair? Back in 1993...

How on Earth can asking women if they dye their hair or not show an increase in getting ovarian cancer?

It doesn't!

How many times have we all heard that practically everything was going to cause cancer? Only to have another study come out disproving the prior report?

This is just another bunch of hogwash we (people who aren't scientists) are being fed.
https://diet.webmd.com/webmddiet/default_home.aspx?referrer=1111_013_0000_0005&secure=1
May 24, 2005 -- New findings may soothe fears of a possible link between hair dye and cancer.possible link between hair dye and cancer. Researchers say that there is no strong evidence of a clear increase in cancer risk among personal hair dye users.

Bahi Takkouche, MD, PhD, and colleagues analyzed 79 studies from 11 countries, focusing only on personal use of hair dye, not occupational exposure. "Our results indicate that, globally, there is no effect of personal hair dye use on the risk of breast and bladder cancer," they write.

Their findings are reported in the May 25 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

'Borderline Effect' for Blood-Related Cancers

The researchers found a "borderline effect" linking use of hair dye and blood-related cancers,"borderline effect" linking use of hair dye and blood-related cancers, such as leukemia and multiple myeloma, but "the evidence of a causal effect is too weak to represent a major public health concern." They add that this effect, as well as two studies showing a borderline increase in the risk of brain tumors and ovarian cancer, warrant further investigation.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47308
There were also small risk increases seen in brain and ovarian cancer, but this association is also suspect.

"The results concerning brain and ovarian cancers are based on minimal sample sizes (only two studies in each case), [so] they are not as reliable as the results of the rest of the cancers we studied," Takkouche said. "Besides, they are rare cancers, and the increase in the risk, even if it exists, would be of limited interest from the public health point of view."

I think all these "studies" are done just so these institutes can justify spending so much money. They always come up with something "new" that conradicts someone else...I think they just like to try and prove they're right and have something to argue about...

Dr Kennedy said, "Of course, this question came to public awareness wit the death of Jacqueline Onassis Kennedy in 1994 from non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Jackie has been a long time user of dark brown hair dye.

Rather than give an opinion, which would be relatively worthless, let me reproduce a review of the matter from Mindspring.com and then try to put it all in perspective.

A report published in the February 2, 1994 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, showed that women who use permanent hair dyes do not have an overall increased risk of dying from cancer. However, women who used black hair dye for more than 20 years had a slightly increased risk of dying from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple myeloma. Less than 1 percent of women in this study reported that they had used permanent black hair dye for more than 20 years."
So he just took excerpts from prior reports....

None of what I saw stated that any scientific testing had been done to prove a link to dying hair and ovarian cancer. A simple study (asking women questions) was all they seemed to have based their conclusions on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back