1167 users online (239 members and 928 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,918

    TX - Shelley Sikes, 19, Galveston, 24 May 1986

    I was 16 when Shelley Sikes was abducted and I remember seeing her missing flyers all over the place, even for years after this happened. I've often wondered if anything was ever found, but hadn't thought about it in years. Then today I ran across her page while I was looking for something else in the Texas Clearinghouse for Missing Persons.

    I hope and pray that her family has found some peace over the last 20 years. God Bless you Shelley.

    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/Mi...sp?Search=Name

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/297dftx.html

    Sikes, a 19-year-old University of Texas student who was home for the summer, was last seen just before midnight May 24, 1986, when she left her job as a waitress at Gaido's beach-front restaurant in Galveston.
    Her car was found about 2 the next morning, stuck in deep mud along an Interstate 45 access road just south of the Galveston causeway. The driver's window was broken, and blood was spattered on the door and driver's seat. Despite an intensive search, Sikes was never found.
    Authorities got a break in the case in June 1987 when John Robert King telephoned El Paso police from a motel in that city to report his attempted suicide and confessed to kidnapping Sikes and burying her body.
    King said he and a friend, Gerald Peter Zwarst had been high on drugs when they ran Sikes' car off the road and abducted her.
    King later reneged on an offer to tell police where the body was buried. Both men have blamed each other for Sikes' death and admitted burying the body near King's home. King and Zwarst were convicted of aggravated kidnapping in 1988 and sentenced to life in prison. Zwarst was offered immunity from a murder charge in 1990 if he would help find Sikes' body. Under hypnosis he drew a map of a field in San Leon, where he said he last saw Sikes, but her body was not found.
    Authorities uncovered a white blouse during the search. Lab tests could not prove it belonged to Sikes, but her family is convinced the petite, handmade blouse was hers. The case remains open.
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 05-05-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: updated doe network link

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMom2003
    ... Both men have blamed each other for Sikes' death and admitted burying the body near King's home. King and Zwarst were convicted of aggravated kidnapping in 1988 and sentenced to life in prison. ... The case remains open.
    This is a case where both men should be tried together for first degree murder, and the death penalty put "on the table". Use both confessions as evidence, convict them both, and then hang them both together. First one to give up her body gets to eat the last meal.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    This is a case where both men should be tried together for first degree murder, and the death penalty put "on the table". Use both confessions as evidence, convict them both, and then hang them both together. First one to give up her body gets to eat the last meal.
    Thank you for responding. I completely agree with you and I like your way of thinking.

    It saddens me to think about Shelley's family and the fact that her remains have not been found.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Fighting parole for Shelley's killers

    Update on Shelley's case. Her killers are up for parole after serving only 20 years of a life sentence.

    You can argue against their parole by sending an email to victim.svc@tdcj.state.tx.us with their ID information: Gerald Pieter Zwarst (State ID: 02060724, TDCJ ID: 00485451) and
    John Robert King (State ID: 02559332, TDCJ ID: 00479010). Please consider sending a letter stating why they should be released.


    She has never been found. Since she never got to go home, why should they?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Shelley Sikes, missing since 1986 from Galveston (her killers are up for parole)

    Shelley Sikes was last seen leaving her job as a server at Gaido's Seafood Restaurant on the beachfront in Galveston, Texas prior to 12:00 a.m. on May 24, 1986. She was a student at the University Of Texas and was staying at her family's residence in Texas City, Texas for the summer. Sikes has never been heard from again and has never been found.


    John King and Gerald Zwarst were both sentenced to life in prison in 1988 for the kidnapping of Shelley. They are now up for parole after serving only 20 years.




    Please consider writing the Texas parole board arguing against their release.

    You can email victim.svc@tdcj.state.tx.us. Include their ID information: Gerald Pieter Zwarst (State ID: 02060724, TDCJ ID: 00485451) and John Robert King (State ID: 02559332, TDCJ ID: 00479010)



    Shelley never got to go home. Why should they?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    deep in the heart of Texas
    Posts
    32,152
    I remember her. There was a big billboard with her picture on it. Then we moved out of state and I always wondered if she had been found.


    I like Richard's idea.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    357
    Could this be her? http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/16ufla.html

    -The victim was 3 months pregnant but some women dont show at all at 3 months pregnant.
    -The age is a little off by few years.
    -The height is off by a bit but both had 'petite' stature
    -Both had scar on right knee
    -Texas is next to Louisiana


    Did Shelley get breast implants? Did she have a nose job? Was she ever in a car accident? Was she married?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFoxMama
    Update on Shelley's case. Her killers are up for parole after serving only 20 years of a life sentence.

    You can argue against their parole by sending an email to victim.svc@tdcj.state.tx.us with their ID information: Gerald Pieter Zwarst (State ID: 02060724, TDCJ ID: 00485451) and
    John Robert King (State ID: 02559332, TDCJ ID: 00479010). Please consider sending a letter stating why they should be released.


    She has never been found. Since she never got to go home, why should they?
    RedFox Mama here. Let me restate my earlier post: Please consider sending a letter stating why they should NOT be released.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceBlue
    Could this be her? http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/16ufla.html

    -The victim was 3 months pregnant but some women dont show at all at 3 months pregnant.
    -The age is a little off by few years.
    -The height is off by a bit but both had 'petite' stature
    -Both had scar on right knee
    -Texas is next to Louisiana


    Did Shelley get breast implants? Did she have a nose job? Was she ever in a car accident? Was she married?
    Oh how I wish it were Shelley, but it's not. For one, the resemblance isn't there (see her pic in 1986, not long before she disappeared http://www.texasequusearch.org/missi...elleySikes.pdf). Second, the creeps who took her didn't get any farther than Bacliff, which is not too far from Galveston/Texas City.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077
    bumping thread up. Any update on the parole hearings?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    977

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077

    Any Updates?

    Any update on these dirtbags' parole hearings?

    I wonder if they had anything to do with the disappearance of Rene Richerson, who also disappeared from this area in 1988. She was abducted from her place of employment and was about the same age as Shelley.

    Suzanne Rene Richerson Missing Galveston, TX 1988 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

    LINK:

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ight=richerson

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077
    Bumping case up...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,918
    Thanks for bumping Shelley's case Richard.

    For me, this is one of those cases I'll never forget.

    Many prayers for her family.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/galve....1f9f31f3.html You might get an annoying Hummer ad, but the "close" button is on the license plate.
    TEXAS CITY — The state parole board has denied Gerald Zwarst’s bid for early release from life in prison after a community letter-writing campaign.
    In 1988, a jury convicted both Zwarst and John Robert King of aggravated kidnapping in the 1986 disappearance of Texas City resident Shelley Sikes.
    Her parents led a letter-writing campaign to keep both King and Zwarst in prison.


    YAY!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Safe OH - Sierra Beatty, 16, & Erine Sikes, 10 Mos., Woodlawn/Hamilton, 30 Sept 2016
    By Gardener1850 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM
  2. TX Shelley Kathleen Sikes (19) - Galveston TX, 1986
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 02:03 AM

Tags for this Thread