598 users online (82 members and 516 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Parold Boards...

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    ... The state parole board has denied Gerald Zwarst’s bid for early release from life in prison after a community letter-writing campaign. ...!!!
    Good news. But remember that these clowns will continue to come up for parole every year. Feel free to express your opinion about them and the idea of their parole to the parole board - often.

Every YEAR?! Thanks for letting us know.

*Hello, this is my first time posting*

I'm so happy to finally find out that he was denied parole!

Both my mother and I sent in letters and I sent out many bulletins on the few MySpace pages that I run asking people to send in letters. I not only live in Texas City (Her home town) at the time of her disappearance, but went to the same dance school as her. I was much younger than her, (Her last year there was my second year), and she would sometimes "help out" with us younger girls. All of us younger girls looked up to her. I still remember her finally solo dance. It was only a year later that she was kidnapped.

Her kidnapping and murder was one of the most frighting moments of my early childhood. I still remember my father talking to my mother and her friends on how they should "protect" them selfs if someone tried to pull them out of their car. (It was the 80's, so he told my mom to spray them in the face with her hair spray and stab them with her hair pick if she had too!)

I was only six years old when she died, but I've never forgotten her. My older brother now lives in San Leon and the location of her remains is much like the "Jimmy Hoffa" legends. I really do home her family can bring her home one day.

Shelley Kathleen Sikes, 19 - Missing Since: 24 May 1986 from Galveston TX

Ruled out by dentals
    Shelley Kathleen SIKES
    RULED OUT BY DENTALS

Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse Online Bulletin

Missing Person Details

Date Picture Updated: 9/27/2001

Name: Shelley Kathleen Sikes
    Case Number: M8606005
    Case Type: Endangered - Foul Play Possible
    Last Seen in: Galveston (Galveston County)
    Last Seen on: 5/24/1986
    Height: 4' 11"
    Weight: 90 lbs.
    Age Missing: 19
    Eye Color: Brown
    Hair Color: Brown
    Date of Birth: 9/2/1966
    Race: White
    Sex: Female
    State Missing From: Texas
    Country Missing From: USA
    Circumstances: Shelley is very petite in stature and was known to have made most of her clothing. She has a 1/2 inch long by 3/4 wide scar on her right knee and is unable to bend her right index finger.
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/mp...3:54:20PM'

Shelley Kathleen Sikes, 19, Missing since May 24, 1986 from Galveston, TX

In May 2011, this case will be 25 years old. Although Shelley's killers were caught and put in prison on a kidnapping charge, her body has never been found.

---------------------
    Shelley Kathleen Sikes
    Missing since May 24, 1986 from Galveston, Galveston County, Texas.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 2, 1966
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11; 90 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes. Sikes has a petite stature.
    Marks, Scars, Tattoos: She has a scar on her right knee. She is not able to bend her right index finger.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Sikes, a 19-year-old University of Texas student who was home for the summer, was last seen just before midnight May 24, 1986, when she left her job as a waitress at Gaido's beach-front restaurant in Galveston.

Her car was found about 2 the next morning, stuck in deep mud along an Interstate 45 access road just south of the Galveston causeway. The driver's window was broken, and blood was spattered on the door and driver's seat. Despite an intensive search, Sikes was never found.

Authorities got a break in the case in June 1987 when John Robert King telephoned El Paso police from a motel in that city to report his attempted suicide and confessed to kidnapping Sikes and burying her body.

King said he and a friend, Gerald Peter Zwarst had been high on drugs when they ran Sikes' car off the road and abducted her. King later reneged on an offer to tell police where the body was buried. Both men have blamed each other for Sikes' death and admitted burying the body near King's home. King and Zwarst were convicted of aggravated kidnapping in 1988 and sentenced to life in prison.

Zwarst was offered immunity from a murder charge in 1990 if he would help find Sikes' body. Under hypnosis he drew a map of a field in San Leon, where he said he last saw Sikes, but her body was not found.

Authorities uncovered a white blouse during the search. Lab tests could not prove it belonged to Sikes, but her family is convinced the petite, handmade blouse was hers.

The case remains open.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Sikes' whereabouts, please contact:

Galveston County Sheriff's Office
    409-766-2322

Texas Department Of Public Safety
    800-346-3243

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

NCIC Number: M-199085895
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Texas Department Of Public Safety
    KHOU
    The Doe Network: Case File 297DFTX

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/297dftx.html

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/265190

Brief quote by Shelley's Mom in article.

From the Texas Inmate Locator...

These two Texas inmates were convicted of kidnapping Shelley. They come up for parole from time to time. Please include the following information in any correspondence to the Parole Board.

Name ZWARST,GERALD PIETER
    TDCJ Number 00485451
    Race W
    Gender M
    Projected Release Date LIFE SENTENCE
    Unit of Assignment HUNTSVILLE
    DOB 1954-07-09

Name KING,JOHN ROBERT
    TDCJ Number 00479010
    Race W
    Gender M
    Projected Release Date LIFE SENTENCE
    Unit of Assignment MICHAEL
    DOB 1957-08-12

Her case was on Paula Zahn this am. So sad. Wish the dirt bags would tell where they buried her so her family can put her to rest.

This came across my Facebook feed. Looks like Houston Channel 11 is doing a piece on her.

https://www.facebook.com/KHOU11/vide...6284943249062/

And an older piece from the Chronicle.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/amp/26-years-after-her-disappearance-relatives-of-9324158.php

"It has been 26 years since Shelley Sikes of Texas City was abducted and never returned.
    It is a long time, but her family hasn’t had the luxury of moving on as one of Sikes’ kidnappers is again eligible for parole, five years after his last hearing.

On May 24, 1986, a day of drinking at the beach ended when John Robert King, driving Gerald Zwarst’s car, ran Sikes off the road as she drove home from working at Gaido’s restaurant along the Galveston Seawall.

Sikes’ car was found the next morning along Interstate 45 near Dickinson, and the 19-year-old college student was never seen alive again. Sikes is presumed dead but her body was never found.

In 1987, King called El Paso police from a motel room there and confessed to the crime, but without a body, police could not charge him or Zwarst with murder.

The men were convicted of aggravated kidnapping in separate trials in 1988, and both were sentenced to life in prison.

Although they were not ruling on murder charges, former Galveston County Sheriff Gene Leonard said when interviewed in 2007 that jurors in both trials were convinced that King and Zwarst killed Sikes.

Zwarst had his first parole hearing in June 2007, 20 years after his conviction. The parole board denied his request and ordered that he become eligible again after five years - the maximum period under Texas law.

The same happened for King later that year and he is eligible again in April with the parole decision in October.

Back then, Sikes’ family had mobilized all their friends and acquaintances to write to the parole board and tell them to deny parole for Zwarst, and later for King.

As one of the criteria for their decisions, parole board members look at public comments regarding a possible parole for an inmate, according to Rissie Owens, chairwoman of the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles. People can send their comments to the board up to 30 days before the set date for the decision, which in Zwarst’s case is June 22, she said. The decision could be made any time within that 30-day period.
    Last edited by Tbone144; 05-09-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2