1347 users online (276 members and 1071 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wife sues miner's brother, tabloid over hospital photo

FULL STORY - http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/07/mc...uit/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The wife of the lone survivor of the Sago mine tragedy has sued his brother and the National Enquirer over the publication of a hospital room photograph showing Randy McCloy on life support.

Matthew McCloy took the photograph of his comatose brother for the supermarket tabloid. He was paid $800.

<< snip >>

The National Enquirer provided Matthew McCloy with a camera, paid him $800 and asked him to take the photo, the suit charges.

The Nationol Enquirer will never learn will they? I'd be mad if someone took pix of a member of my family on life support machines, let alone sell it to the tabloids & have it on the cover for the world to see in the checkout lines .

Quote Originally Posted by cheko1
    The Nationol Enquirer will never learn will they? I'd be mad if someone took pix of a member of my family on life support machines, let alone sell it to the tabloids & have it on the cover for the world to see in the checkout lines .

I'd be upset. But I don't think I'd sue. I love my husband's family! Something tells me there was previous animosity here.

I'm not surprised, you could smell a rat from day one. Generally families work together as team players and confer with one another when tragedy strikes, there had to have been some strange family dynamics for the brother to do what he did, IMO.
    Freethought is a philosophy not a policy-
    "The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

Well, the guy is obviously not too bright - he only got $800 for the photo!
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

Quote Originally Posted by cheko1

The magazine is a rag, but I think the problem here is the brother. What a jerk.

After kicking my brother's ass, I'd sue him and the tabloid...

I saw the picture. I would be upset with the brother too.
    Retired 08/03/03

Exclamation

It's Ok to be very upset with the brother-in-law, but sue him??? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Ostracize the brother?, for sure, but to sue him, doesn't really achieve, or change, anything. Why doesn't she wait, and see how Randy feels about the situation; after all, it was his picture that appeared in the NE. It isn't about the money, so what's the point?? Do they want to make the guy out to be an azz; that has already been accomplished. To me it just dampens the whole situation. Why do something that is counter-productive???

Good for Anna! I was shocked to know it was his own brother who sold the picture.....I hope Randy makes a full recovery and kicks his azz.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    It's Ok to be very upset with the brother-in-law, but sue him??? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Ostracize the brother?, for sure, but to sue him, doesn't really achieve, or change, anything. Why doesn't she wait, and see how Randy feels about the situation; after all, it was his picture that appeared in the NE. It isn't about the money, so what's the point?? Do they want to make the guy out to be an azz; that has already been accomplished. To me it just dampens the whole situation. Why do something that is counter-productive???
    You know, I kind of agree, although what Matthew did was reprehensible. Besides...Matt probably doesn't have any money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    You know, I kind of agree, although what Matthew did was reprehensible. Besides...Matt probably doesn't have any money anyway.
    Exactly, it isn't about the money. You can't get blood from a turnip, and Matthew is an azz, and probably has been for a long time. Everyone who knows him, already knows that. We'll have to get Randy's opinion of his brother.

Randy will be very lucky if he regains enough health, and faculties, to begin living a half-decent life; I'm certain that is his priority and it isn't suing his brother for a picture that appeared in the NE. Why publicize the family differences. It isn't accomplishing anything. It's a ridiculous lawsuit that doesn't do anything but detract from a very, very, unfortunate situation.

Not all families are close and I wonder how close the brothers were?

Maybe not at all .. Maybe this dirt ball has screwed them in the past and in a moment of weakness Anna let the brother into the room being kind and thinking she was doing a good thing and he turns around and makes money off of his brothers tragedy??

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The wife of the lone survivor of the Sago mine tragedy has sued his brother and the National Enquirer over the publication of a hospital room photograph showing Randy McCloy on life support.

The tabloid said it acted lawfully in obtaining the photo.

"Matthew McCloy's intent in cooperating with the story was to call attention to the very serious issue of mine safety -- a view fully supported by the National Enquirer," the tabloid said in a written statement. "No one intended to do anything to harm Randal McCloy."

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    Not all families are close and I wonder how close the brothers were?

Maybe not at all .. Maybe this dirt ball has screwed them in the past and in a moment of weakness Anna let the brother into the room being kind and thinking she was doing a good thing and he turns around and makes money off of his brothers tragedy??
    My brother was in ICU for 27 days after being severely burned / he passed away. But the media tried getting into ICU to take a picture of him / the camera got busted before the man left the hospital!!!!

Some people just don't understand no means no!!!
    Also many people don't want there loved ones to be in a freak show!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast