OH - Thomas Truelson, Jessica Coleman for murder of newborn, Columbia Twp, 4 Feb 1999

aussiegran

Reaction score
ELYRIA, Ohio -- A woman accused of stabbing her newborn son and dumping the body in a flooded quarry, weighed down by a duffel bag full of rocks, was sentenced Wednesday to six years in prison.

Jessica Coleman, 22, pleaded guilty in November to involuntary manslaughter and six other charges. She wept quietly as she was sentenced.

When the baby was born in 1999, Coleman was a high school sophomore who had concealed the pregnancy from family and friends. Authorities say she beat and stabbed the newborn, and her boyfriend helped her get rid of the body.

The boyfriend, Thomas R. Truelson Jr., 25, was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to three charges, including gross abuse of a corpse.

The baby's body was found by recreational divers in 1999, about five months after it was born. It was dubbed Baby Boy Hope as authorities searched for the parents.
http://www.ksat.com/news/6843467/detail.html
:furious: :furious: :furious: 6 years for murdering her baby.she should have got LWOP.she will be young enough to have more when she gets out.

Wow this happened back in '99? That's like umm...7 years ago? What took so long? And 6 years in prison for murder? What's up with that?? Is it because she was I'm guessing around 15 years old at the time? 15 yr olds know right from wrong i'm sorry she should of got LWOP! And the guy right along with her!

OUTRAGEOUS! take note according to the justice system, newborns are only worth 6 years....disgusting.....absolutely disgusting......LWOP all the way for both. Sit and rot and think about what you did. If my 2 year old knows that hitting his brother is wrong, then you can bet a 15 year old knows that stabbing a newborn and throwing his body in a trash bag is wrong too. Our society is way too lenient on crimes of this nature.

SIX YEARS??????????????????????:doh:

I don't know too much about this case, but I have to think that sometimes (although, lately.......) a judge / jury may see that there is nothing that can be done to rehabilitate someone. Perhaps because they see that this girl has already tortured herself enough or some other reason.

Please don't jump me, I am not saying she deserved more / less, just throwing this out there.

According to the newspaper articles, this woman has fought her own demons for all these years and accidentally "spilled the beans" when she had had too much to drink with some girlfriends in recent years. I guess one of them gave the info to the authorities. This is not to excuse her, but just to expand on the story. It seems the "sperm donor" has gone on with his life and not had the problems the so-called mother has had.

Your right I just wish the judge would take diffrent measures then. If they can't be rehabilitated then they get LWOP or Liftetime in a mental institution. I sometimes think the Judges have seen this type of thing so often that it's not a heinous outrageous shocking thing to them anymore...hence the lenient sentence.

Brefie said:
I don't know too much about this case, but I have to think that sometimes (although, lately.......) a judge / jury may see that there is nothing that can be done to rehabilitate someone. Perhaps because they see that this girl has already tortured herself enough or some other reason.

Please don't jump me, I am not saying she deserved more / less, just throwing this out there.

I hope the demons eat at her like a cancer until the day she dies.

Opie said:
According to the newspaper articles, this woman has fought her own demons for all these years and accidentally "spilled the beans" when she had had too much to drink with some girlfriends in recent years. I guess one of them gave the info to the authorities. This is not to excuse her, but just to expand on the story. It seems the "sperm donor" has gone on with his life and not had the problems the so-called mother has had.

I'm sorry but I see no justification for this sentence, I am truly shocked! We've seen many cases where death occured due to negligence and or abuse of babies and children that weren't as intentional as this and haven't seen such a light sentence. This is cold blooded murder any way you look at it regardless of her reasons imo. How is this case any different than say Andrea Yates or Susan Smith, etc.?

strach304 said:
I'm sorry but I see no justification for this sentence, I am truly shocked! We've seen many cases where death occured due to negligence and or abuse of babies and children that weren't as intentional as this and haven't seen such a light sentence. This is cold blooded murder any way you look at it regardless of her reasons imo. How is this case any different than say Andrea Yates or Susan Smith, etc.?
It's different than Andrea Yates, because Andrea Yates is severely mentally ill. This woman was not. She didn't just dump an unwanted newborn, she beat it up and tortured it! She should have gotten the death sentence or LWOP!:furious:

LinasK said:
It's different than Andrea Yates, because Andrea Yates is severely mentally ill. This woman was not. She didn't just dump an unwanted newborn, she beat it up and tortured it! She should have gotten the death sentence or LWOP!:furious:

You betcha! I do understand about Andrea Yates so what I was trying to convey is the lack of justice in this case in comparison to others where a baby or child were killed.

Six years is not enough time. This is cold blooded murder of an innocent baby. LWOP is the only rightful sentence. I think you are right about the judges, I think they see this kind of thing so often that they are no longer shocked by it, sadly......It just ain't right!

It seems the "sperm donor" has gone on with his life and not had the problems the so-called mother has had.

that right there shows me the frightening capacity for men to be cold-blooded sociopaths.... so apparently what he did didn't bother him at all? and no guilt for what the girl had to live with...??? that's a real mental sickness. he should be locked up just for being a threat to humanity!

She did not get herself pregnant, so is the boyfriend being held responsible? what about her parents she was 15 years old like it or not they were responsible for her wellbeing! The parents of that boy were no better it seems nobody wants to raise responsible young men anymore either. The whole world is going nuts. something screams pyscho about this whole issue am I the only one that see's it. when there is a 15 year old that is starved we are jumping up and down wanting the parents to be held responsible but if a 15 year old trys to make adult decisions with a childs mind fuled by God only knows by what that is going on at home then there are major problems society has to get it through thier heads that kids are not done being kids until their brains say they are, and we can all agree that not all 30 year old men and women are at the same maturity. I am all for this woman and man being punished for the murder of this baby, but the parents need to take responsibility for thier part or lack of thier part in this situation even if its just to acknowledge wrong doing. :twocents:

Mel,

Her parents did not know she was pregnant or that she killed the baby. Why should we hold them responsible for something they were not aware of?

This is from the link in the first post:

When the baby was born in 1999, Coleman was a high school sophomore who had concealed the pregnancy from family and friends. Authorities say she beat and stabbed the newborn, and her boyfriend helped her get rid of the body.

Personally, I only see two responsible and I know a 15 year old knows better.

How do they end up calling it "involuntary manslaughter"? I thought Involuntary implied something done by accident or neglect but not intentional.

This sounds like intentional murder to me. How do we end up with human beings who can murder their own helpless newborns???? Such people are actually scarier than other kinds of murderers....I mean if you can kill your own child...you have no heart.

I'll never understand why it's not first degree murder. You're right, Maybe So, they are scarier than other murderers. It takes a cold heart to kill an innocent baby.

jessica was on Oprah yesterday. it was a good interview. there were a few inconsistensies in her story, but overall i do think she is sorry for what she has done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back