1225 users online (195 members and 1030 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FL - Cynthia Gooding, 16, & Teresa Alfonso, 12, Marathon, 3 Sept 1974

Cynthia Robin Gooding (16)
    Missing since September 3, 1974 from Marathon, Monroe County, Florida.
    Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
    NCIC Number: M-061966859
    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: July 23, 1958
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 100 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: She has a scar on her left eyebrow.
    Nickname: Cindi; Cindy

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Teresa Armanda Alfonso (12)
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    NCIC Number: M-729859018
    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: November 6, 1961
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm); 120 lbs (54 kg)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic female. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: She has had a tonsillectomy. She has a small-sized scar below her buttocks. She has pierced ears.
    Dentals: A small gap between her two front teeth.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Teresa Armanda Alfonso and her friend, Cynthia Robin Gooding, were dropped off at the Marathon Movie Theater in Marathon, Florida on 3 September 1974. Neither of the girls has been seen again.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Alfonso's or Gooding's whereabouts, please contact:
    Monroe County Sheriff's Office
    Missing Persons Unit
    305-289-2430
    305-296-2424
    800-346-8477

Agency Case Number: M743432
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

Source Information:
    Florida Department Of Law Enforcement
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited ChildrenThe Doe Network

Links:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2dffl.html
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/218dffl.html
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 05-02-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: updated doe network links

Why were a 16-year-old and a 12-year-old hanging out together? Is there suggestion that they were abducted/lured away, or could they have run away?

This sort of reminds me of those three girls from Texas who disappeared while shopping, except there was a reason for the 9-year-old to be there -- she was tagging along. With just two girls it doesn't seem like a tagalong situation; seems like they would go because they were friends. But I can't imagine a 12-year-old and a 16-year-old having enough in common to be friends -- they wouldn't even go to the same school!

If it is one thing that I realized about Doenetwork is that the older cases tend to have less information than the newer cases, statistically anyway(not to any fault of thier own). The fact that missing persons didn't really become national news stories with the frequency that they are today. Clearing houses, support groups and the like didn't really co-exist w/police. Being the difference in thier ages, could it be possible that the Gooding was Alfonso's babysitter? Also, if they lived in an area that did not have a big population ( kid anyway) it wouldn't be uncommon for them to be friends. The last is a bit far fetched, but it does happen from time to time.

I don't know, of course, but I think they were probably just friends. Unless Teresa was mentally disabled or something -- and there is no evidence of that -- there's no reason why she would have a babysitter. And I was friends with people far older when I was Teresa's age.

Relationship...

Interesting observations about the girls and their age differences. I do not know much more than I posted origionally. When I edited my post above, I combined the separate Doenetwork writeups for each girl. Notice that their Doenetwork numbers are significantly different, and that the classifications are different for each girl. There were other differences and discrepancies as well, like different phone numbers, different wording, etc. One even had a different disappearance date, although I believe that was a typo, as it conflicted with other info in the same file.

I agree that this case has similarities to the Fort Worth Three who disappeared only three months later. both involved abductions of more than one girl at the same time. This was also true of disappearances of the Leslie Sisters from Arizona in 1974, and the Lyon sisters from Montgomery County, Maryland in March 1975. Two young boys of similar ages, Anderson and Williams disappeared from New Jersey in April 1975.

This case also resembles the disappearance of Dorthy Delilah Schoffield from an Ocala, Florida Shopping Center in 1976.

New Links...

Cynthia Gooding (16) and Teresa Alfonso (12) Missing 3 Sept 1974 Marathon, FL

Cynthia Robin Gooding (16)
    Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
    NCIC Number: M-061966859
    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: July 23, 1958
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 100 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: She has a scar on her left eyebrow.
    Nickname: Cindi; Cindy

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Teresa Armanda Alfonso (12)
    Vital Statistics
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic female. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: She has had a tonsillectomy. She has a small-sized scar below her buttocks. She has pierced ears.

Teresa Armanda Alfonso and her friend, Cynthia Robin Gooding, were dropped off at the Marathon Movie Theater in Marathon, Florida on 3 September 1974. Neither of the girls has been seen again.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Alfonso's whereabouts, please contact:
    Missing Persons Unit
    305-296-2424
    800-346-8477
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number: M743432
    NCMEC #: NCMC801268

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

Source Information:
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
    Florida Department of Law Enforcement
    The Doenetwork

New Links:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/218dffl.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...so_teresa.html
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...g_cynthia.html

A little more info there -- not much, but all that's available.
    Perhaps it was a babysitting situation, Cynthia was minding Teresa and that's why they were together?

The descriptions say that "one of them had a history" of running away. I wonder which one? I assume the older one, but you never know.

What if it happened like this: Cynthia is meeting someone at the mall; she's even thinking of leaving with this person. At the last minute, she finds out that Teresa will be tagging along. Maybe this was set up between the girls' mothers. So Cynthia decides to take Teresa along, something goes wrong, and they are endangered.

Does anyone know if they ever made it to the movies?

I think they were dropped off at the movies, so it'd be interesting to see if they went inside the theater.

I don't know about this, but could they be neighbors? I know that I was friends with kids a slight bit younger than me because there were no girls my immediate area that were my age.

If you look at the birthdays, it comes to much more like a three year difference or less. (Cynthia had just turned 16 and Teresa was very close to 13) Perhaps they had a common group of neighborhood friends?

This really doesn't shed light on anything but I thought you might want to see her moms piece on CNN.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...tery.part2.cnn

Teresa Armanda Alfonso,12, Missing since September 3, 1974 from Marathon, FL

Note that DNA is now on file for this case.

---------------------------------------------------
    Teresa Armanda Alfonso

Vital Statistics

DNA: Available in CODIS

Alfonso and her friend, Cynthia Robin Gooding, were dropped off at the Marathon Movie Theater in Marathon, Florida on September 3, 1974.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Alfonso's whereabouts, please contact:

Missing Persons Unit
    305-296-2424
    800-346-8477

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency. Agency

Case Number: M743432

NCMEC #: NCMC801268

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

Source Information:
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
    Florida Department of Law Enforcement
    The Doe Network: Case File 2DFFL

LINK:

I searched the site to see if this UID was compared to Teresa Alfonso and could not find any info so I decided to post this UID.http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/295uffl.html. Teresa and the UID both are from Florida and had a gap between their front teeth. Tell me what you all think.

Chaddylex

35 Years ago...

This case is now 35 years old. Has anyone seen any anniversary articles on these two missing girls?

Similar cases of multiple abductions...

Cynthia Gooding (16) and Teresa Alfonso (12) Missing 3 Sept 1974 Marathon, FL

------------------------------------------------------------

This case has similarities to several others which involved the disappearance of more than one child:

Two months earlier, the disappearance of the Leslie Sisters (ages 13 and 15) from Arizona on 31 July 1974.

The three girls from Fort Worth who disappeared 24 December 1974.

The Lyon sisters (ages 11 and 13) from Montgomery County, Maryland 25 March 1975.

Two young boys; Steven Eugene Anderson (17) and David Williams (12) disappeared from New Jersey 7 April 1975.

Another similar case is the single disappearance of Dorthy Delilah Schoffield (12) from an Ocala, Florida Shopping Center in 1976.

It sounds to me as though it were a "babysitting situation". The younger girl probably wanted to go to the movie, and the older girl was probably offered a free movie to take the littler girl. I had this happen to me as a child a lot. My grandma knew a girl Karen, believe it or not we were friends although she was much older than I was. When I wanted to see a movie and my grandma couldn't take me, she would offer to pay for both of us to see the movie, provided Karen would make sure I made it there and back okay. She would even give us popcorn, soda and candy money as well so we could have fun at the movie. Karen and I would pop on the bus, and Karen was 17 and I was 11, and we she would make sure we were safe and bring me home when the movie was over. Anyways, thought I would pop that idea out there.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast