Hundreds of dead pets found in woods

Shadow205

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Hundreds of dead cats, dogs and other animals were found in two wooded areas of West Virginia, the state Division of Natural Resources said Thursday.

More than 250 dead animals have been identified, inventoried and photographed, the state said. They included animals with rabies vaccination and name tags, indicating they were pets.

Most of the animals were dogs and cats, but there were also mice, rats, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, hawks and deer.

Some of the animals had been decapitated, said Maj. Jerry Jenkins of Division of Natural Resources law enforcement.

more at the link http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/02/dumped.animals/

I see there is a budding serial killer in the works ...

We had an incident like this around here about 18 months ago. A huge "dump" of dead animals off the side of a road embankment. Was only found because of a road project. It turned out that a contractor hired by veterinary clinics was hired to take deceased animals and dispose of their bodies in a humane fashion at his own facility......he instead had been dumping them at this place and taking the money. They tracked him down by using an id tag on one of the dead dogs. Traced it to the vet who had sent it with the contractor.

I would feel better if that is the case here rather then finding its some budding killer who will move on to people.

The fact that it was all sorts of animals sure doesn't sound too good. You are right about the serial killer thing. UGH!

Read the story in the link, that is what happened here at one of the two dump sites. These animals came from a place that was supposed to cremate them. They don't know yet about the second dumping of dead animals. They just had this happen in Pittsburgh with fetuses, Cyril Wecht was put in charge of that. They were found in a storage unit and the company that was paid to get rid of them didn't, most were believed to be from abortions.

More excerpts from the article ...

The dead animals were removed Monday from the wooded area in Hampshire County, near Capon Bridge, West Virginia. A second and similar discovery continues to be investigated in Hardy County.

Investigators believe the animals came from counties around the greater Washington, D.C., metropolitan area.

Fairfax County Police Lt. Rich Perez said some of the animals came from that county and indicated that some of the animals found had previously been turned over to Family Pet Cremations.

The Chantilly, Virginia-based company has contracts with the department to dispose of dead, sick or stray animals, Perez said.

"We are disturbed and concerned that animal remains we were turning over to Family Pet Cremations have turned up at this illegal dump site," he said.

The department would look at whether the contract with the company will continue, he said. Calls to the crematorium were not returned.

Jenkins said his agency removed more than 4,000 pounds of animal carcasses, some of them with intravenous tubes in their legs.

The U.S. Forest Service is also taking part in the investigation. Woody Lipps, a spokesman for the agency, said one of the dumping sites was in George Washington National Forest and the perpetrators could face stiff fines.

"Dumping debris on federal property is a federal misdemeanor, but the attorney's office could decide this was hazardous material and if that's the case, the fines and jail time increase dramatically," Lipps said.

The U.S. Forest Service expects to turn over its investigation to the U.S. attorney's office in West Virginia next week.

I am livid! :furious:

This is one of the most hideous stories I have ever read. For .02 I would gladly put the perpetrator's lights out in an excruciating & slow methodical fashion. There is NO excuse for animal abuse. None!

If the b*st*rds who committed this crime are ever apprehended - I expect they'll get a slap on the wrist and a little fine. Just Infuriating!! :furious: :mad:

13th Juror

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back