FL - Martin Anderson, 14, dies at Bay County boot camp, 6 Jan 2006

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A videotape shows guards brutally beating a boy at a military-style boot camp for juvenile delinquents not long before the teenager died, two lawmakers said Thursday.
Martin Lee Anderson, 14, died Jan. 6 at a Pensacola hospital, a day after he entered the camp because of an arrest for theft.

Anderson complained of breathing difficulties and collapsed during exercises that were part of the entry process at the camp, which was run by the Bay County Sheriff's Office.

Authorities have said he had to be restrained when he became uncooperative during the workout.

State Rep gus Barreiro, a Republican, called the videotape "horrific," saying he had "never seen any kid being brutalized ... the way I saw this young man being brutalized."

"Even towards the end of the videotape, where you could just see there was pretty much nothing left of Martin, they came out with a couple cups of water and splashed him in the face," he said. "When you see stuff like that, you want to go through the TV and say, 'Enough is enough. Please stop hitting this kid."'

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184397,00.html

Fla. Officials Release Boot Camp Tape

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - Authorities released a video tape Friday showing guards restraining a boy at a juvenile detention boot camp just hours before he died.
The parents of 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson believe the footage, from a boot camp security camera, will show that guards beat their son to death. They were viewing the 1-hour, 20-minute tape at their lawyer's office in Tallahassee as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement made it public.

Two legislators who have seen the tape said Anderson was brutally beaten and kicked before he died Jan. 6. They described an out-of-control situation, with guards punching and choking Anderson even as he went limp.

Anderson's family alleges he was beaten by guards on his first day at the boot camp. A medical examiner determined this week that the teen died from a blood disorder — not from any injuries suffered in a beating.

News organizations had sued for the tape to be made public. The FDLE planned to release it when its investigation was complete, but said Friday it changed plans "due to compelling public interest and speculation as to its contents."

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060217/ap_on_re_us/boot_camp_death

This is just sickening. I can't imagine as a parent, watching that video and watching your son being beat to death. How horrific.

What is sad is the ME said he died due to his Sickell Cell Trait and not from being beaten. We are infamous here because of another Panama City ME, Dr. Sybers, who killed his wife.

A relative assists the ME and he often comes to have dinner at their house. She assist the ME even though she has no medical training at all. I do hope she did not assist with this as it is going to be investigated thoroughly. And thank goodness it is. Local authorities fought like heck to keep this video from being released.

TAMPA, Fla. -- Prosecutors confirmed Tuesday that a 14-year-old boy who was beaten by guards in a juvenile boot camp did not die of a blood disorder as a medical examiner initially ruled.

Pam Bondi, a spokeswoman for Hillsborough County State Attorney Mark Ober, who is investigating the death of Martin Lee Anderson, declined to comment further on the case.

She confirmed statements from Dr. Michael Baden, a noted pathologist who observed the second autopsy that was conducted on the teenager's body.

Baden said after observing the 12-hour autopsy Monday that the teen probably died from a beating by guards, not a blood disorder. "My opinion is that he died because of what you see in the videotape," said Dr. Michael Baden, referring to a surveillance tape showing guards kicking and punching Martin Lee Anderson's limp body the day before he died.

After seeing the videotape, the boy's parents agreed to have his body exhumed and asked Baden, who had reviewed medical evidence in the slaying of civil rights leaders Medgar Evers and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., to observe the new autopsy.

snip-Anderson entered the camp for a probation violation for trespassing at a school after he and his cousins were charged with stealing their grandmother's car from a church parking lot. He was in his first day at the boot camp when he collapsed during exercises and then was seen on the tape being struck and kicked by several guards.
http://www.local6.com/news/7992789/detail.html
:furious: Why didnt they get this in the first autopsy?

I saw the parents interviewed on the Today show this morning and they also showed some clips from the video. It is very clear that this boy was being abused and that they continued the abuse after he went limp.

I am sure that the original "autopsy" was a coverup. The parents said that they signed for the body to be sent one place for an autopsy (sorry, can't remember where they said it was) but that it was sent someplace else upon direction from the camp.

It is possible that the boy's sicke cell trait caused a more severe internal bleeding than perhaps a child without this condition, but the injury that caused the internal bleeding was due to the blows and punches from a bunch of "men".

If memory serves me correctly, the parents said the boy did not have sickle cell disease or even sickle cell trait, to the best of their knowledge.

Opie said:
If memory serves me correctly, the parents said the boy did not have sickle cell disease or even sickle cell trait, to the best of their knowledge.

Thanks. I didn't hear them say that. Well, I guess this 2nd autopsy will answer that one!

Sure sounds like a coverup to me also. Obviously this young boy was no angel, but he did not deserve this. How sad for his family.

Fri, May. 05, 2006
Youth was suffocated by guards at bootcamp, medical examiner says
BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
Martin Lee Anderson was suffocated to death by guards who held his mouth and forced him to inhale ammonia fumes, a special prosecutor investigating the 14-year-old boy's Jan. 6 death announced today.

In a short press release, Hillsborough State Attorney Mark Ober, appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush to handle the controversial case, said an autopsy of the youth showed Martin died of suffocation ``due to occlusion of the mouth and inhalation of ammonia fumes.''
--->>

In February, Bay County Chief Medical Examiner Charles F. Siebert ruled that Martin, following rigorous exercise, essentially bled to death after a genetic disorder, sickle cell trait, set off a cascade of events that caused his blood to cease clotting.

The second autopsy was conducted by Dr. Vernard Adams, Hillsborough County's chief medical examiner. In a brief statement, Adams said his investigation was aided by an enhancement done by NASA of a 30- to 40-minute videotape of Martin's manhandling at the boot camp.
--->> http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14511421.htm

It sounds like those guards acted like a pack of wild dogs...what in the ##$%#% were they thinking?!? Errr....nevermind. I just answered my own question. They WEREN'T thinking.

It's too bad that children who commit a crime are treated worse than child molesters and serial killers.

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (AP) -- Attorneys for seven former juvenile boot camp guards who were videotaped manhandling a teenager and a nurse who watched the altercation entered not guilty pleas Thursday on behalf of their clients to manslaughter charges stemming from his death.

The seven guards and nurse face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of aggravated manslaughter of a child.

Circuit Judge Michael Overstreet also agreed to modify bond conditions for the eight defendants during the brief hearing, allowing them to leave Bay County while the case is pending.

The eight worked at the now-closed Bay County sheriff's boot camp in January 2006, when Martin Lee Anderson, 14, collapsed there while doing exercises. The guards said they were trying to revive him, but Anderson's family and others were outraged at the footage showing the boy being kneed and struck. He died a day later.
More:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOU_BOOT_CAMP_DEATH_FLOL-?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

The officers and the nurse in this case were acquitted today. Very sad I think.

The verdicts were sickening, but I expected it. Smoke & mirrors defense wins again. Common sense went right out the window!

Can you imagine what would happen if a parent tried that with their own non-compliant teenager? Yet a bunk of thugs in uniforms are allowed. I hope that nurse NEVER gets a decent nights sleep the rest of her life!

How could a jury watch that tape and vote not guilty?

How could a jury watch that tape and vote not guilty?

I'm raising my hand. I watched the entire trial and I don't know how I would have voted, but I personally think the doctor who performed the first autopsy had some really good points. I find the second doctor's autopsy suspect.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back