37 lb woman gives birth

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11261633/

SNIP
TULARE, Calif. - A woman who weighs 37 pounds, stands 3 feet tall and uses a wheelchair has given birth to her first child, overcoming serious odds and doubters who advised her to abandon their dream of becoming parents.

Eloysa Vasquez, 38, suffers from Type 3 osteogenesis imperfecta, a disorder that makes bones soft and easily broken. Her tiny, distorted body left little room for a fetus to grow and Vasquez suffered two miscarriages before doctors at Stanford University's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital delivered her son, Timothy, by Cesarean section on Jan. 24....

I watched this story on television this morning and the newscasters were cracking me up. Of course the male newscaster wanted to know "how they did it." The female newscaster said "maybe we need to take you back to junior high for refresher course on the birds and the bees." He said we'll if the bird is HUGE and the bee is TINY, I want to know how they did it. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Good for them !! I am happy that they were able to have the baby they have prayed for.

(I kinda wonder how they did it too... LOL)

I had a very good friend with Osteogenesis Imperfecta. It's hard for me to write about her now without shedding a few tears.

She and her husband led a very active lifestyle, but I realize now in hindsight that she must have been in a lot of pain all the time. She blamed her parents for having her, because they had lost several children to the genetic bone disease before she was born.

We knew them in the early 1980's before genetic testing with CVS was available in very early pregnancy, so she and her husband took in foster children for several years. Finally they were able to adopt a baby.

Our friend Pat had some obvious disabilities but did not have the amount of spinal degeneration that the lady in the story had. She could walk and work full time as my husband's secretary. I don't know how her disease has progressed since, but I hope she's had a wonderful time raising their son. :)

The news article does make it sound very freaky but OI isn't freaky. Those affected are usually very high IQ and very motivated to succeed.
I applaud this lady's resolve to have a baby, but I do wonder if the stress to her skeletal system will cause accelerated degeneration. There's a very good chance that she won't live to see the baby grow to adulthood.

Roy and Eloysa Vasquez show off their new son, Timothy Abraham Vasquez. Eloysa, 38, suffers from Type 3 osteogenesis imperfecta, a disorder that makes bones soft and easily broken.

http://tinyurl.com/97dk6

I think that's pretty amazing...they're very lucky.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back