Oh this can't be smart....

So, did anyone buy one yet? :crazy: (I copied the image here for those who have a fear of clicking links, lol)

MOHAMMED CARICATURE (T-SHIRT)
125_caricature.gif
fill.gif
fill.gif
Price: $18.99Part#:001-0MCAR
fill.gif

I'm having trouble getting the link to open. I'm not sure if it is just me or the link.

2sisters said:
I'm having trouble getting the link to open. I'm not sure if it is just me or the link.
Hmm, I am not having problems. I copied the item in my second post. It's a t-shirt someone is selling with the mohammed/bomb cartoon on the front.

Iran is encouraging the publication of Holocaust cartoons.

I think that might be a great idea - publish some really offensive stuff, then can we all get over this? Let muslims who are extremely offended publish something they think is the most offensive thing they can say right back at those who published the Mohammed cartoons, then let's get on with life.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/07/iran.cartoon.ap/index.html

Sheesh.

KatherineQ said:
Iran is encouraging the publication of Holocaust cartoons.

I think that might be a great idea - publish some really offensive stuff, then can we all get over this? Let muslims who are extremely offended publish something they think is the most offensive thing they can say right back at those who published the Mohammed cartoons, then let's get on with life.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/07/iran.cartoon.ap/index.html

Sheesh.
I saw some political cartoons (ironically) saying maybe all future wars will be fought with cartoons, lol! We just insult each other with cartoons and nothing else.

I think it's mean spirited and an unfair characterization of the faith (how would most of us feel if it were Jesus holding a machine gun or something), but I fully support their right to make them and sell them.

Maybe they sold out, or moved them to a site that didn't have a physical address connected to it for safety reasons.

I saw a story on the shirts on drudgereport.com and followed the link. The page did finally open and at the top it says "Due to exceptionally high traffic, our web server is running slow. We apologize for the inconvenience. ". So thats probably why people are having troublewith it. The website is still around and the link will work eventually.

I just tried it and it worked for me. I just read today in a media report that the Iranian president named the US along with Europeans responsible and I wondered why he named us if we didn't print them but I knew it was only a matter of time before somene would.

I wouldn't make the comparison here with a cartoon of jesus with a gun but rather the burning of the US flag. Everyone here I'm sure remembers that controversy. That was a big issue that many americans found offensive to the point of potests and had to have the courts decide the issue. There honestly isn't anything off limits in the US as far as I can tell.

Where we settle things in the courts, and I would argue, rarely with completely unchecked violence, other places in the world just kill and riot and burn. And it's often state sponsored.

Can you imagine... When Rodney King was beaten by the LAPD, if the LA Mayor had sanctioned it? That's just not our culture.

I would expect that people should just settle down over this whole thing. Get ahold of themselves and move on already.

A newspaper in Philly reprinted the cartoons and now are facing protests, which, thanksfully, are peaceful so far. The fact so many people are buying the shirts may be a bad sign. Might as well place a target on them as well, lol.

I am just not impressed by the shirt. I think the whole thing is ridiculous as I do about people who fight over religion. Allowing a spiritual being, who may or may not exist control the lives of living breathing human beings with intelligence throws mankind backward two thousand years. If a person choses to worship, whatever form of religion, is should be confined to the privacy of their lives, not brought forward into the public spectrum.

Better put: IMO only

Dark Knight said:
A newspaper in Philly reprinted the cartoons and now are facing protests, which, thanksfully, are peaceful so far. The fact so many people are buying the shirts may be a bad sign. Might as well place a target on them as well, lol.

It kills me that we are supposed to be so reverent of Mohammad but the Islamic militants go nuts and kill Christians over our worship of Jesus.... :rolleyes:
I think it's great so many people are buying the shirts. Why should we be cowardly over this? They make fun of and kill over Jesus, don't they?

petra said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060212/ap_on_re_mi_ea/prophet_drawings

it is so out of control here in the nordic countries

and now the usa is being targeted.

maybe they closed that link very quickly
I am quoting myself here...because it is a very scary situation here in the nordic countries. Yes, there is alot of violence targeted at Denmark, Norway and Sweden......as well as any country that reprinted the original cartoon...which is not the one being shown on t-shirt or in Arabic newspapers.

It started back in Sept when a Dane was writing a childrens book on the Islamic faith...he sought out illustrators to draw some pictures of Mohammed and other symbols related to the Islamic faith. Apparently--in Islam, the last drawings of mohammed were in about the 1400's..it has basically been seen later as heresy to illustrate their prophet. No one would do the illustrations
for fear of reprecussions.

The author of the proposed book turned to news cartonists to request some ideas,, and then the hit the fan. died down for months and brought up again by mid January.

This is just a basic , simple piece of background,
yes, flags are being burned, fires, shooting,,embassies trashed and people targeted.

travel has been banned for safety of the nordic citizens to many countries.

petra said:
The author of the proposed book turned to news cartonists to request some ideas,, and then the hit the fan. died down for months and brought up again by mid January.

yes, flags are being burned, fires, shooting,,embassies trashed and people targeted.

Thanks for the background petra, interesting.

I feel this situation is getting way out of hand and this t shirt is going to add fuel to the fire. IMO, it's in very poor taste.

IMO, it's the radical side of Islam or Al Quida or whatever that are fueling the masses to protest. This is just the sort of thing the militants needed to ignite widespread protest against anyone not of their faith. Osama said he'd use our laws against us, 'freedom of speech' seems to be his target today.

I know everyone is entitled to earn a living, but I can't believe whoever owns this company would put the people in and from the U.S. and the entire world, in danger of attack over a dollar. IMO, this is a scary situation. I hope they had their phone disconnected and find a way to forward their mail. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to pick-up their mail at that mail box. Heck, if I even worked at that post office I might call in sick for a week or two.

This company's traffic has picked up huge, huge, huge!! I don't know if that means people are buying that shirt or not, but I for one wouldn't be caught in one. (I didn't want to say 'be caught dead,' because, IMO, that could happen)

There are many nice Muslim people throughout the world. But this situation could and probably has angered them. Even the normally peaceful Muslims would probably be insulted and perhaps enraged were they to see anyone with this likeness on.

Personally, I think in the interest of public safety, they should stop this company from printing this. What some people will do for a dollar is outrageous. Just as outrageous as fighting over religion. At least with religion you can hide behind an 'ideal,' but, for a dollar, it's just pure selfish greed.

JMHO
fran

PS......I guess I'm a little concerned about this, more than some might be, because this company is located fairly close to where I live. I hope those that are offended by this t shirt don't take it out on the rest of us who live here and never would dream of doing such a thing......fran

petra said:
I am quoting myself here...because it is a very scary situation here in the nordic countries. Yes, there is alot of violence targeted at Denmark, Norway and Sweden......as well as any country that reprinted the original cartoon...which is not the one being shown on t-shirt or in Arabic newspapers.

It started back in Sept when a Dane was writing a childrens book on the Islamic faith...he sought out illustrators to draw some pictures of Mohammed and other symbols related to the Islamic faith. Apparently--in Islam, the last drawings of mohammed were in about the 1400's..it has basically been seen later as heresy to illustrate their prophet. No one would do the illustrations
for fear of reprecussions.

Although the cartoon may have been in bad taste, there isn't any excuse for the violent demonstrations; it says a lot about the nature of the countries in the Mideast, and even more about their leaders. Don't these demonstrators have jobs they should be working at?? For the leaders to not only condone the demonstrations, but encourage them, is simply not acceptable. Perhaps when they run out of flags to burn, and embassies to destroy, they will find themselves completely isolated from the rest of the world. Just because they don't believe in the freedoms, that the rest of cherish, isn't any reason for us to change. Do they really think they are going to gain our respect by the way they are acting??? I think not. They are just looking for any reason to shoot their guns, burn flags, and destroy buildings. Odd that they picked Norway, Sweden, and Denmark to demonstrate against--apparently they wanted to make sure they didn't leave anyone out, and wanted to be sure that everyone picked sides--no neutral countries in this conflict.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back