Other children killed in home by intruder, but parents survive?

detectivewannabe

Reaction score
I saw on another forum a thread about a list of husbands who kill their wives and that got me thinking. Now...first let me explain this is the first thread I have ever started, so if something is wrong or if this is just plain stupid, please delete it or correct me or something!!! OK....Is there an instance where a child or children was killed in the home and the parents were NOT killed and an "true" intruder was convicted? I know there are cases where the child was taken by an intruder and was killed (Jessica Lunsford, Polly Klass, Danielle Van Damm, the Dawallby girl) but they were taken out of the house. I also know that an intruder who has no connection to the victims has in the past killed both the children and the adults. But is there truly a case in which a complete stranger for no reason what so ever but pure evil, come into a home, murder a child (or children) and leave the parents alive AND have been convicted of the crime?

I hope I haven't been rambling. Just have been trying to think of an instance.
Thank you for your time and comments:)

This is a very good question, very good. Very good observation.

I'm only looking into this case and did read some about the Jon Benet Ramsey case, another one where the child was not taken out of the home. So I'm no help.

Maybe this also needs to be posted on a thread/threads where more people would see it.

detectivewannabe said:
I saw on another forum a thread about a list of husbands who kill their wives and that got me thinking. Now...first let me explain this is the first thread I have ever started, so if something is wrong or if this is just plain stupid, please delete it or correct me or something!!! OK....Is there an instance where a child or children was killed in the home and the parents were NOT killed and an "true" intruder was convicted? I know there are cases where the child was taken by an intruder and was killed (Jessica Lunsford, Polly Klass, Danielle Van Damm, the Dawallby girl) but they were taken out of the house. I also know that an intruder who has no connection to the victims has in the past killed both the children and the adults. But is there truly a case in which a complete stranger for no reason what so ever but pure evil, come into a home, murder a child (or children) and leave the parents alive AND have been convicted of the crime?

Yes, Tommy Lynn Sells. He entered the double wide trailer home of Terry and Crystal Harris who were at home asleep with their children. He entered all the bedrooms and retreated until he found what he was looking for-- 13 year old Katy Harris, and her 10 year old friend Krystal who was spending the night. He fondled Katy, when she screamed he cut her throat. He then moved to Krystal and cut her throat--she pretended to be dead. Katy died, Krystal survived and testified against him.

cami said:
Yes, Tommy Lynn Sells. He entered the double wide trailer home of Terry and Crystal Harris who were at home asleep with their children. He entered all the bedrooms and retreated until he found what he was looking for-- 13 year old Katy Harris, and her 10 year old friend Krystal who was spending the night. He fondled Katy, when she screamed he cut her throat. He then moved to Krystal and cut her throat--she pretended to be dead. Katy died, Krystal survived and testified against him.
But Tommy Lynn Sells was a serial killer who knew the father was going out of town. He planned to kill everyone but was thrown off guard by a friend spending the night and fled instead.

detectivewannabe said:

I am sure there has been. But I would think this might happen from an angry parent losing custody and not wanting to pay child support. I don't know about the answer in the context relating to the situation you are talking about..... where the parents still being married and the children being killed by a total stranger. Good question...don't know the answer.

The reason I ask this question is because I think we, as a society, have a very hard time believing that a complete stranger, for no apparent reason or motive would come into a house and murder a child/children and leave the adults alive like so many people claim. I'm sure it has happened but I would dare say not as many times as people would want us to beleive. Just like Darlie, and the Ramsey's and the Mac Donald's.....some "intruder" came in, brutally murdered the children in their home...with adults in the house......only feet away.....and with no motive other than killing a child, did just that and vanished into the night.I was just seeing if this senerio happens alot.

detectivewannabe said:
The reason I ask this question is because I think we, as a society, have a very hard time believing that a complete stranger, for no apparent reason or motive would come into a house and murder a child/children and leave the adults alive like so many people claim. I'm sure it has happened but I would dare say not as many times as people would want us to beleive. Just like Darlie, and the Ramsey's and the Mac Donald's.....some "intruder" came in, brutally murdered the children in their home...with adults in the house......only feet away.....and with no motive other than killing a child, did just that and vanished into the night.I was just seeing if this senerio happens alot.
I have never heard of one where there was no evidence left behind to indentify the intruder. There have been home invasions where everyone has been killed like the Clutter family in the 60s, but even gangs don't come in just to kill the kids,not that I have ever heard of anyway.

Goody said:
I have never heard of one where there was no evidence left behind to indentify the intruder. There have been home invasions where everyone has been killed like the Clutter family in the 60s, but even gangs don't come in just to kill the kids,not that I have ever heard of anyway.
:waitasec: Dang it Goody!:crazy: Now you have gotten me interested in another case. I am going to look up this Clutter family case. :waitasec:

You know, I may have an example to my own question. What about that guy who came in a killed Michael Crowe's sister? Remember, the case where the police interragated Michael Crowe and he "confessed" and it ended up being someone else? That's the only one I can think of. Like I said, it doesn't happen as often as husband's/boyfriend's killing thier wives/girlfriends/children.

I'm still thinking........................

detectivewannabe said:

Before the "Westerfield" and "Lunsford" cases, I never would have thought it was possible for someone to get into a house and walk out of carrying a child and not leaving even a fingerprint, but unfortunately it happens and every possible scenario needs to be considered.

In the "Routier" case, unfortunately for Darlie, every single trail leads directly back to her.

deandaniellws said:
:waitasec: Dang it Goody!:crazy: Now you have gotten me interested in another case. I am going to look up this Clutter family case. :waitasec:

That's the "In Cold Blood" case.

detectivewannabe said:
I think we have a harder time believing a mother or father could kill their own child, especially a mother. I'd love to believe Darlie's story. Sure, it's scary as all get out, but I'd prefer that to having to face the fact that a seemingly normal young woman took a knife to 2 little boys. Every single piece of evidence can be traced to Darlie in some way.
Polly Klass, as you was snatched from her room, molested, and then murdered. The killer cami and Goody are referring to did that as well. It is rare, very rare, to hear of someone killing 2 young boys without molesting them or snatching them and leaving any other family members alive, much less adults.

Jeana (DP) said:
That's the "In Cold Blood" case.
GI Jane was saying the other day how inmates talk and hear all sorts of things. These murders are amazing. 2 convicts hear about this rich man in the middle of nowhere Kansas, and decide to steal the loot. Supposedly he kept a wad of dough in the basement, isn't that it? Tied the girl up in her bedroom, the mom up in the other, the father and son in the basement, I think. Can you imagine the mother and daughter's terror as they heard the gunshots and the footsteps coming closer to their rooms?

I also remember something about a girl scout camp in Oklahoma sometime between 69-74. It was one year right after we came back from camp ourselves but in N.M.

It could have been urban legend but 2 girls were brutally stabbed to death in a tent on a campground.
Look it up but I have no name only a time frame and possible State.

Hs an article in this months issue that is also interesting.

Seems housewife who is taken hostage and rescued was unable to cry for 2 days after experience. She cried non stop for a while. She reacted in a typical way for a post trauma event.

It says more information is available at

www. rd.com./hostage

G.I.RattlesnakeJane said:

Seems housewife who is taken hostage and rescued was unable to cry for 2 days after experience. She cried non stop for a while. She reacted in a typical way for a post trauma event
Did Darlie cry non-stop for any amount of time? The SS video was taken on the 14th. I know we disagree about her actions in that video. Yes, people grieve in different ways, but there's just something not right Something which everybody stop and :waitasec: for LE to follow the trial of blood which stops at Darlie's feet.

beesy said:
GI Jane was saying the other day how inmates talk and hear all sorts of things. These murders are amazing. 2 convicts hear about this rich man in the middle of nowhere Kansas, and decide to steal the loot. Supposedly he kept a wad of dough in the basement, isn't that it? Tied the girl up in her bedroom, the mom up in the other, the father and son in the basement, I think. Can you imagine the mother and daughter's terror as they heard the gunshots and the footsteps coming closer to their rooms?

I think Jane was right. Nope, I can't imagine what this poor family went through - horrifying.

Seems housewife who is taken hostage and rescued was unable to cry for 2 days after experience. She cried non stop for a while. She reacted in a typical way for a post trauma event.

It says more information is available at

www. rd.com./hostage

I'm sure that's true, but I fail to see how there is anything of relevance to this case Jane.

www. rd.com./hostage
Jane, let's say that Darlie did have post traumatic reaction. I don't think that is what makes us believe she was involved. It's the whole picture. We can sit here all day and pick every piece of evidence apart one at a time and it may seem that she is innocent. But, put it all together, as a whole, and it all points to her. So she cried her eyes out when no one is around, so she may have said "fighting" instead of "frightning" on the 911 tape, so she usually slept on her side, so on and so on. It isn't ONE thing, just like Scott Peterson. It's the WHOLE picture. I wish that there was a "smoking gun" is this case, but there isn't. People we know very well do the unimaginable all the time. I'm sure it is hard to believe that someone you know and have know for all these years could do something like this, but I don't think when someone does something so horrid; people who knew them sit around and say, "yeah, I knew that was coming, they've always been the murderous type."

This is all just my opinion and let me say that I have not studied this case nearly as long or as intently as everyone else here. Please go gentle on me:truce:

detectivewannabe said:
Jane, let's say that Darlie did have post traumatic reaction. I don't think that is what makes us believe she was involved. It's the whole picture. We can sit here all day and pick every piece of evidence apart one at a time and it may seem that she is innocent. But, put it all together, as a whole, and it all points to her. So she cried her eyes out when no one is around, so she may have said "fighting" instead of "frightning" on the 911 tape, so she usually slept on her side, so on and so on. It isn't ONE thing, just like Scott Peterson. It's the WHOLE picture. I wish that there was a "smoking gun" is this case, but there isn't. People we know very well do the unimaginable all the time. I'm sure it is hard to believe that someone you know and have know for all these years could do something like this, but I don't think when someone does something so horrid; people who knew them sit around and say, "yeah, I knew that was coming, they've always been the murderous type."

This is all just my opinion and let me say that I have not studied this case nearly as long or as intently as everyone else here. Please go gentle on me:truce:

I won't attack any poster for their ideas, theories, etc. I just want people to judge the evidence and not read into it all this armchair psychoanalysis.

The cast off blood and the evidence of a clean up. I still think we need to map out darlie blood trail as it will tell us a lot.

If guilty she has to have a motive for going to the places she went while bleeding. To say she ran around the house aimlessly is a wrong asssunption for anyone who wants to investigate a crime, or even solving who stole the cookie from the cookie jar.

In a crime, where everybody was and what their movements were that night should be looked at.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back