1303 users online (255 members and 1048 guests)  

Websleuths News

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Exclamation WARNING: Greenies dog treats - 13 deaths

    KANSAS CITY, Missouri (CNN) -- At least 13 dogs have died after being fed the top-selling pet treat in the country, owners and veterinarians have told CNN.

    The problem comes because the treats, called Greenies, become lodged in a dog's esophagus or intestine and then some veterinarians say they don't break down.

    "I know they are marketed in saying that they do digest. Certainly the ones that we've taken out, esophageal or intestinal, that have been in for days are still very hard," Brendan McKiernan, a board-certified veterinary internal medicine specialist from Denver, Colorado, told CNN.

    FULL STORY: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dan...eat/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Awwwwwww, my little guy loves those things. I was just going to get him some more. Guess we'll have to find another favorite.

    Thanks for the info.
    Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride.

    My opinion!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info. We just got a puppy from the pound and she chews on everything so I was going to buy those for her tomorrow. My son would be heart broken if something happened to her.

    I will get the little doggie pigs ears as they take a loooong time to chew and don't pull of in chunks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    How sad!!! I almost bought some of these the other day when I saw them at the check out at Petsmart. My chihuahua has horrible breath and I looked at them, then put them back realizing the treats would not remove the thick tartar buildup. He needs a cleaning first. I then thought we could use them to prevent further build up.....NOT now!!!!!!

    I certainly hope they are being removed from shelves!!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    OMG I have a bunch of the these in the cabinet.
    To the trash they go tonight!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The article explains that it is only a problem if the dog gulps them whole. If they are chewed, they are ok.

    My guys nibble on theirs for quite a while - they seem to enjoy taking their time with them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    The problem is, dogs can get excited, and you can't very well stop them from swallowing it... it only takes a second. They did a segment about this problem on CNN Headline news last night, and they were showing actual Greenies extracted from dogs in surgery, or from dogs who had died. The Greenies were still whole, and extremely hard. I just wouldn't even take a chance on them, it's not worth it. They had several pet owners on last night whose dogs had died from it, and it was heartbreaking to watch them cry.

  8. #8
    one of my cats absolutely loves the feline Greenies, course he takes his time & chews them up.....ya know, those things ARE extremely crunchy!!...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    lala land
    The same thing can happen with rawhide treats. My dog almost choked to death when a piece of rawhide became lodged in her throat.

Similar Threads

  1. Petco pulls treats over fears of dogs' deaths, sickness
    By zwiebel in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2015, 04:58 AM
  2. Infant deaths prompt gov't warning on slings
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM