690 users online (89 members and 601 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Usher737
    "Torrance detectives interviewed hundreds of sexual predators, and went
    through downtown Torrance hotels looking for transients to question.
    One who lived near both Karen and Gale was questioned, but released.

A transcription of his shocking interview with detectives, including
    admissions about child molestation, remains among the evidence in boxes
    marked Dorothy Gale Brown at the Torrance Police Department."

Sounds like LE had a viable suspect. He lived near both of them and could have seen them walking or riding bikes on a daily basis. I wonder how close he lived to where Gale's bike was found.
    Glad to see some action on this thread again!! Sadly, they did assume Dorothy Gale's killer was also who abducted Karen. Because of that, they didn't look closer at any other suspects. They had never heard of Franklin Floyd or Sharon Marshall when I contacted Torrance PD.

I think if he killed Karen, her body would have been found too.

Thanks Gina for adding the info to MySpace. Lori Peugeot is also a possibility.

Karen

Gina M.I have photos of Karen and her family and articials that have appered in the news papers the latest one 2003....karens family Brother ,sister ,Mother and Dad...
    if you would like to read them or see the photos..they are on photobucket...some of them anyways....
    Again...your site for Sharon is realy takeing off..........I am still in tears with the add of music...

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy
    Gina M.I have photos of Karen and her family and articials that have appered in the news papers the latest one 2003....karens family Brother ,sister ,Mother and Dad...
    if you would like to read them or see the photos..they are on photobucket...some of them anyways....
    Again...your site for Sharon is realy takeing off..........I am still in tears with the add of music...
    Thanks Tuffy. Glad you like my page.
    I'd like to see the pics you have...what's the link to your photobucket site?

"Gale's nude body was discovered July 4, 1962, floating 25 feet down in
    the water off Corona del Mar. Skin divers enjoying the Independence Day holiday found her."

It appears Gale's body was found by accident. I wonder if LE ever sent a dive team down there in search of Karen's body. If they were killed by the same person he could have used the same place twice especially since he got lucky the first time.

Tompkins Photo

News paper Photos from Torrance,California and LA Times
    Karens Home.....This photo is now in archives of events of 1961...interesting that there were few that where added...and this one made it into archives...
    Karen and her Brother Mike taken a year before she dissappered.
    Would be interesting to know what Nationality Karen is as the jacket her brother is wearing looks sweedish...or Native American?...I do recall a thread a while back that Karens Mother is from Oklahoma.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

News paper Photos from Torrance,California and LA Times
    Karens Home.....This photo is now in archives of events of 1961...interesting that there were few that where added...and this one made it into archives...

Karen and her Brother Mike taken a year before she dissappered.
    Would be interesting to know what Nationality Karen is as the jacket her brother is wearing looks sweedish...or Native American?...I do recall a thread a while back that Karens Mother is from Oklahoma.......

Photos won't open

Photo of Karens Home

016-017.jpg try again if this wont open I will post to Marshall page.it worked for me this time HUMMMMM..........News paaper and archives of Congress......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tuffy101; 02-23-2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add

I was wondering if anyone knew if a link between Karen and Susan Nason had been investigated?? I read the story of Susan, who was 8 when she was abducted and murdered in 1969 in People's true crime book, and when I first saw Susan's picture I thought it was Karen - the resemblence is uncanny. I've been searching the internet for her picture but no luck. I will try and scan her picture later, because the resemblence is eerie.
    "well, in my mind, my opinion is not so humble at all...it's just my opinion"

Megan Kanka
    December 7, 1986 - July 31, 1994
    forever missed

Someone, somewhere knows what happened to CRYSTAL TYMICH

Have not seen Photo?

The Reality of Repressed Memories This is a Story about Susan and a search engine.....with her name brings up much info....Daddy's Little Girl -- Monday, Jun. 04, 1990 -- Page 1 --
    Repressed Memories.....about a Daughter wittness to her Fathers murder of her best Friend.....
    Last edited by Tuffy101; 02-26-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add on

University of Southampton

Its is ODD! that this persons name is Fraklyn also in ref.to Sharon Marshall case............

until 9/1988 then University of Southampton

Desperately seeking evidence: The recovered memory debate

Introduction

In the 1990s we have seen a startling rise in reports of memories of childhood sexual abuse from adults alleging that the memories were previously `unavailable' to them. Such memories are often `recovered' during psychotherapy and have resulted in fierce debate concerning the reality and reliability of such memories. It is a debate that has elicited considerable controversy in the courts, in academic circles and in professional practice due to its personal, social and political implications. A criminal case based on the recovered memory of a murder was instrumental in bringing the debate to the attention of the public and courts. In 1990, George Franklin was convicted for the murder of a child based primarily on evidence from his daughter Eileen who claimed she had repressed the murder of her friend for 20 years (Maclean, 1993). The conviction was overturned following a successful appeal in 1995 but the case nevertheless remains a poignant example of impact of a recovered memory in the legal context. In the academic domain, recovered memories have presented memory researchers with some challenging questions. The debate has focused attention on conditions under which memories are recovered and the power of suggestion bringing the practices of psychotherapists under close scrutiny. Unfortunately some have interpreted this as an invasion of the therapist's domain and an attempt to undermine the credibility of therapists and victims. This has resulted in a polarisation of the debate, the consequences of which are well illustrated by recent reviews (Loftus and Ketchum, 1994; Ofshe and Watters, 1994, Lindsay and Read, 1995; Pendergrast, 1995). This paper will show how scientific research can inform the courts about the reliability of recovered memory evidence.
    Last edited by Tuffy101; 02-26-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add

Sorry, I haven't had any access to a scanner. (I'm not in my apartment, I've been at home on break for the past week.) I will take a picture of it tomorrow with my camera to at least give everyone an idea of what Susan looked like. I have found MANY articles on her, but no pictures. Even if it is not the best quality, it will be better then nothing.

Megan Kanka
    forever missed

Here's the picture of Susan. I took two, one further out then the other. I must say, for being a picture of a picture the quality isn't completely terrible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...san_nason1.jpg

further out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...usan_nason.jpg

closer up

Megan Kanka
    forever missed

It's thought that Karen Lyn Tompkins was murdered by Mack Ray Edwards. See http://www.latimes.com/media/acrobat.../284115239.pdf
    also http://ktla.trb.com/news/la-me-seria...ll=ktla-news-1

Mack Ray Edwards worked for Caltrans from 1953 to 1970 as a heavy equipment operator, it is thought he killed at least one child a year and buried many of their bodies under the various freeway right of ways he worked on.

Karens School

The news story concerning construction worker and the School area of Karen Lynn Tompkins , was under construction in 1961 photos from News papers I posted a few threads ago I will try and find the news paper accounts said Karen and Her brother used a short cut to school that passed through this area!
    I still have several downloads I passed to another WS member may still have on my PC,I will search the other post and bring them up?
    In case they have not known this I am forwarding to PD now.....
    Great you found this Carl,,,,,
    .Karen and her brother were enrolled in a summer arts class at Halldale Ave. Elementary School within four blocks from their home. That day the family dog had followed them to school so, her brother {who was 8 yrs old} took the dog home before class was out. Karen stayed after class to help the teacher. The teacher and other students saw her leave the school at approx. 5:00 pm. She was carrying 2 conastoga wagons that she and her brother had made in art class. At 6:00 pm the police were called when Karen did not arrive home.

The school is located at 215th Street and Halldale Ave. 4 blocks from Karen's house in Torrance, California.

Karen was wearing royal blue shorts with white printed band on bottom, white sleeveless blouse, rubber sandalls {they were called zories}, also a white cardigan sweater.
    Ok! Guys this is toooo much calling in this information is not that easy.............however pushing forward......
    detective Flores ,received the news paper clipping and was aware of the confession sense there are so many cases to search connected with this persons confession............. I did not think it a bad thing to forward this to LAPD.
    Thank You Carl for posting that I have not been on the thread for awhile..........
    My Heart goes out to the Tompkins family...
    then there is always a chance for Hope ! I will forward any replies I receive if any from Det.Flores
    Last edited by Tuffy101; 04-16-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Carl.....I am trying to put photos on Photo Bucket and am doing so right now....thou i did say trying !

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast