1122 users online (198 members and 924 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Mustard Seed Necklace

Ravensangel
    The mustard seed necklace was never found and neither was Karen.
    Can you remember if the necklace was lying on the ground like it had fallen or hidden. It's nice to know that Karen is remembered.
    Thank you for any information.
    We are still looking for Karen,
    karens sister.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravensangel View Post
    When I was 10 years old in 1961, my family lived in Torrance, California.
    I remember seeing on the news a report about a missing girl named Karen Lynn Tompkins. The reporters were at her house and you could see her poor mother reclined on the couch with a cold compress on her forehead. I felt so sad for her. My mother became very worried and wouldn't let me or my sister walk to school alone anymore and became generally very cautious. I remembered hearing on the news that Karen was wearing a mustard seed necklace. About a month later during a family outing at Redondo Beach, while looking for seashells, I found in the sand a mustard seed necklace. I told my parents about it but they didn't seem to think it was important at the time. Maybe it wasn't. I don't know. All these years, from time to time I would think of Karen. Her named stayed with me and I know I was somewhat traumatized by her disappearance since I had never been aware such things could happen when I was only ten. I never forgot the look on her mother's face and always hoped Karen would be found. Shortly after Dorothy Gale Brown went missing a year later, my family moved away from Torrance. It just occured to me recently that since we now have the internet, I might be able to find out what happened if anything. That's how I came upon this site. I always wanted to tell someone about the mustard seed necklace and maybe it means nothing but I'm glad I finally got this out there.

Thanks for Listening

Karen Lynn Tompkins

Yes, I remember I was looking for shells in the sand about half way down the beach toward the water and I picked up what I thought was a shiny shell but it was a mustard seed necklace. The chain was broken. It was just below the surface of the sand as though it had been dropped. I know that's very little information and I certainly wish there was more I could do. I have misplaced the jewelry box I kept the necklace in but I'm still looking for it. I kept it all these years just in case there was some way of finding out in the future if it belonged to Karen.
    I never forgot her and hoped she would be found someday. I felt so bad for her family. I just hope you have found some peace in the many years since she went missing. I was speaking about this to my younger sister and she remembers very well the events of those days and being very afraid. We will continue to pray for Karen and her family. Especially you, Lori.
    What a wonderful sister, you have kept up the search. I would certainly have done the same had it been my sister.

Hoping for the best,
    Ravensangel

Bump. Did anyone ever hear back from the sister?

My parents best friends lived across the street from Karen on Dalton Ave. When we would go over there, I got acquainted with Karen. She and I played hopscotch and jump rope together.

When she disappeared, it scared the living bejesus out of me. I couldn't believe this happened to her. Her disappearance has haunted me for 51 years. She was 3 days older than me, we were born the same month and the same year.

Every time we went over there after that, when we passed the area she was last seen in, I would ask myself what happened to her. I have never been able to pass it without thinking of her.

I've been at WS since this July and the other day on another forum, I was telling the story of Karen and someone suggested I sleuth it. It brought me here. Wow.
    Where is Sky Metalwala???

This is Karen's sister. I have not been on Websleuths in a few years. I am very glad people remember Karen.

Karen's nationality.

English, a little Apache, Irish. a big mix.
    My (and)Karen's dad was in the Navy. Maybe
    he picked up a jacket for Mike somewhere.

Karen's Sister

As of October 2014, author Matt Birkbeck posted on his website that Sharon Marshall was positively identified as Suzanne Marie Sevakis, kidnapped from North Carolina. Birkbeck has done an amazing job of documenting this case. Due to his diligent work it has finally been solved.

http://www.mattbirkbeck/blog/finally

Bump. If I am allowed. I am new here, and hoping that all of the previous efforts will some day bring closure for this family.
    We are here to help. I will do my best to not cause any hindrance, in any manner.
    I will at times, "think out loud." I have done this since I can remember.
    I will share my opinions. Thoughts. Insights. And I encourage everyone else to do the same.
    Let's find them, and bring them home!

We Are All One Human Race!

Bump. We know Karen isn't Sharon. But I am interested in her possibly being a victim of Floyd. Was he in CA at the time?
    What do we think? What do we know? What can we prove?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6