1156 users online (184 members and 972 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - What is your opinion on these 2 articles?

2 articles within 24 hours....
    First one...I'll keep my opinion to myself..for now:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/3660935.html

2nd: If having a cell phone and calling regularly constitutes supervision for children of this age....you tell me
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/3660185.html

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    That first article is just plain gross neglect. I'll be surprised if they don't get the children back because I have read about cases like this and the judge will say that the nasty conditions do not equal child abuse or neglect.

In the second case, was the 13 year old supposed to be in charge? That's awfully late to leave that age in charge of younger children.

The ist article I didn't even need to finish it before I had an opinion the headline made my mind up. I don't even have words to describe my opinion. The way people live amazes me sometimes, how could you stand living in that filth. Then again I don't understand why some people don't bathe daily.

The 2nd I really don't know. I know at 13 I babysat, sometimes until 12 or 1 am for kids ranging in age from 2-7. My sister and I were occasionaly left home alone without a sitter when she tuned 12 and I was 9 if my parents wanted to go out to eat or something and I don't see a problem with that they were never out past about 10 and my mom called about every hour since my mother was a very paraniod parent, same for when I babysat ( I understand why now that I am an adult). I just don't know what to think about this except that this mother probably feels like total crap for this and will never forgiver herself as long as she lives.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I'm really surprised when I read about the filth people live in and that they don't have their children taken away just for that alone. I think they should be placed with other families and the parents charged.

I babysat for other families at 12, but I was the oldest girl in a family of 6 children and was given a lot of responsibility at an early age. Most are not that mature at that age. If the mother had come home much earlier, I would have no problem with her letting the 13 year old babysit as long as she kept regular phone contact. It sounds like this fire may have broken out after all the children were asleep. That could happen even with the parents home.

Quote Originally Posted by cathieq

2nd: If having a cell phone and calling regularly constitutes supervision for children of this age....you tell me
    As for #1, something must be horribly wrong with anyone who could live in such stench. I'm a bad housekeeper myself, but rotted food and feces? How rotten must the food have been that the dogs didn't eat it?
    Wonder what happened to to the dogs?

As for #2, I babysat at that age in the days before anyone had a cell phone or even a beeper. This question to me is, was there not a smoke detector nor a fire extinguisher?

Unhappy

I just feel so horribly, horribly bad for the mom in the fire story. It's such a tragedy all the way around.
    Those four lovely children lost their lives and their mom will carry this pain and guilt for the rest of her life. I wouldn't be surprized if she commited suicide over it.

Quote Originally Posted by cathieq

1st article. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have children or own pets.
    2nd article. Now she can party all she wants. I am sure she is going to regret going out and leaving her kids alone for the rest of her life.

A 12 y/o and a 13 y/o should be OK with two toddlers, especially their own siblings. The little ones probably went to bed by 9.

It sounds like the outcome would have been the same even with the mother at home. Without knowing the cause of the fire and the other circumstances, I can't blame her.

At 13 I was sitting for families way out in the middle of nowhere in the days before cell phones. Nobody had smoke alarms either, 30+ years ago.

My sisters and I were "latch-key" kids. Both parents worked...we did fine. But now as an adult I question all those phone calls my mom made to check up on us...The most she could have done would be to hang up and call someone...or head out home. In those days (and I won't say when...), I think we were much more responsible and level-headed kids...Today with microwaves and other fancy electrical gadgets...leaves a lot of room for misjudgement...The most we were allowed to do at home alone was watch Felix the Cat and eat sandwiches...I really, really feel for that mom...

My two cents

I came from a large family and I was babysitting my newborn nephew and niece at the age of 10, I was mentally mature enough to take care of them and it was out in the country no cell phones or beepers and my sister-in-law worked late hours as a waitress and my brother worked third shift, me and another girl and family members took turns helping out, because thats what family and friends do. Now the Mother that went out with her friends to a bar and called her kids every hour to check on them does not sound like someone who was neglectful she sounds like an overworked single parent who was in need of a night out and although it said that she was at a bar it did not say she was drunk. so I do not think she should have been charged with anything I agree that even if she would have been there the fire would have happened anyway and may have very well taken her life so whoever made the comment that now she can go out as much as she wants to was uncalled for I feel bad for this lady she had beautiful children they in noway looked abused and or neglected.
    As for MR&MRS Poopy pants that is severe neglect in every sense of the word, you live in a hotel room and don't notice that your children are living in feces maybe they just couldn't find them these parents are the pimple on the ass of society. and I hope those babies are in a better place and being taken care of in a clean home.

The first case, enough said.

But the second case, I would like to know how the fire started.

The Mom did call home and was available by phone, what a tragic incident, the mother must be near a breakdown.

A good point, why did the house not have smoke detectors, they save lives.

Especially a fire extinguisher.

I think a fire is a persons worst fear in their home, with only two breaths of smoke, your brain loses oxygen and your thinking becomes cloudy,,,,,,

Those poor children.........