997 users online (179 members and 818 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

Former Death Row Inmate Charged With Statuatory Rape

http://www.wral.com/news/7075051/detail.html

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A former death row inmate faces new legal trouble. The State Burau of Investigation is investigating Alan Gell for statutory rape.

According to warrants, investigators searched Gell's home in Bertie County for computers and letters. A 16-year-old girl alleged Gell may be the father of her unborn child.

~more at link~

What a perv.. Should have kept his butt in jail! Ruining lives is all the sickos do.

Why am I not surprised here.Well in all fact I am surprised really.I find it very surprising he allowed his victim to live.Other than that all I can say is thank your court system for allowing killers to get off on frivolous appeals.Wouldn't it be nice if instead of killing or harming other innocents after they got off the ****s would rape a few of their groupies for us.Maybe if a few antis fell victim to their "innocent"pals they might take a dimmer view of these animals.....Doubtful but maybe.
    http://proadvocate.proboards74.com/index.cgi death penalty supporters only

I would like to know more about the case he was aquitted of and his previous criminal history before deciding if he is guilty of this.

Amraann, here's some interesting reading about the case:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/deathrow/

Alan Gell was arrested for a 1995 robbery and murder of a retired truck driver named Allen Ray Jenkins. The two key witnesses presented by prosecutors were Gell's ex-girlfriend and her best friend, who were both teenagers. Both girls, who were at Jenkins' house and pled guilty to involvement in the murder, testified that they saw Gell shoot Jenkins on April 3, 1995. However, prosecutors withheld valuable evidence that might have cleared Gell in the initial trial, *including an audio tape of* one of the girls saying she had to "make up a story" about the murder. (News and Observer, December 10, 2002) In 2002, a State Superior Court Judge found that the prosecutors withheld evidence "favorable" to Gell, and vacated Gell's conviction. (North Carolina v. Gell, No. 95 CRS 1884, Order (Superior Court of Bertie County, December 16, 2002) (Vacating conviction and granting new trial.)
    Gell was re-tried in February 2004. The defense team was able to present evidence that Gell was out of state or in jail at the time of Jenkins' murder, which was placed closer to April 14th. This refuted the April 3d claim by the original prosecutors. Also challenging the state's timetable was a series of statements by as many as 17 witnesses who told investigators that they had seen Jenkins alive between April 7th and April 10th. The most important new evidence was the taped conversation mentioned above, in which the state's key witness referred to making up a story about the murder. Gell was originally convicted in 1998 and spent the next four years on death row until a new trial was ordered. On February 18, 2004, a jury found Gell not guilty on all counts, and he left the court with his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    I would like to know more about the case he was aquitted of and his previous criminal history before deciding if he is guilty of this.
    He was aquitted after 10 years on death row - apparently prosecuters withheld evidence the first time that exhonorated him in the new trail.

http://www.newsobserver.com/208/story/222182.html

It says in a story from 2 years ago about him starting his new life that he wanted to speak at schools to 7th and 8th graders. Wonder if that's where he met the girl?

Also challenging the state's timetable was a series of statements by as many as 17 witnesses who told investigators that they had seen Jenkins alive between April 7th and April 10th.

Quite possible.Of coarse people also claimed they saw Laci Petersen after the alledged date of her murder.Perhaps Scott to is innocent.Also let us not forget several people came forth shortly before Tookies execution claiming he was elsewhere on the alledged murder date.Are all inmates whose lawyers convince people to say these things innocent?

However, prosecutors withheld valuable evidence that might have cleared Gell in the initial trial, *including an audio tape of* one of the girls saying she had to "make up a story" about the murder.

Pure nonsense.Read a few capitol cases and you will find that in them EVERY single confession was coerced.This young lady claims to have been Gells girlfrind.I can see probable cause for her to recant a statement once she realized the State was pursuing the death penalty for lover boy.Admitedly it is wrong for the Prosecution to withhold evidence in any trial,but what do we do with all those currently on death row who have very similar "evidence"?

Quote Originally Posted by proadvocate
    Admitedly it is wrong for the Prosecution to withhold evidence in any trial,but what do we do with all those currently on death row who have very similar "evidence"?
    I would imagine if their evidence is compelling enough that a judge over throws their previous sentence and orders a retrial, it is our responsibility as a society to grant them that trial. I'm not denying that the guy is a creep, I'm sure that's why he was a suspect to begin with. But if I'm going to allow the government to do something as powerful as to determine which citizens live and die, I would be outraged if they were not as cautious as possible when using that power.

Could it be possible that he relly was not guilty, and that while in prison he developed into a Merv the Perv?

Scandi

I think it's possible he wasn't guilty, and then after he was released he got involved with a girl he thought was older but she wasn't.

She herself apparently isn't sure he's the father.

This guy isn't Robert Petrie. But it's not clear he's really guilty of a crime.

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi
    Could it be possible that he relly was not guilty, and that while in prison he developed into a Merv the Perv?

Scandi
    Bad things happen to people while in prison... If they are innocent when they go there, they will get out and commit a crime(s). They are just taught bad things in prison!

Quote Originally Posted by proadvocate
    Also challenging the state's timetable was a series of statements by as many as 17 witnesses who told investigators that they had seen Jenkins alive between April 7th and April 10th.

Quite possible.Of coarse people also claimed they saw Laci Petersen after the alledged date of her murder.Perhaps Scott to is innocent.Also let us not forget several people came forth shortly before Tookies execution claiming he was elsewhere on the alledged murder date.Are all inmates whose lawyers convince people to say these things innocent?

However, prosecutors withheld valuable evidence that might have cleared Gell in the initial trial, *including an audio tape of* one of the girls saying she had to "make up a story" about the murder.

Pure nonsense.Read a few capitol cases and you will find that in them EVERY single confession was coerced.This young lady claims to have been Gells girlfrind.I can see probable cause for her to recant a statement once she realized the State was pursuing the death penalty for lover boy.Admitedly it is wrong for the Prosecution to withhold evidence in any trial,but what do we do with all those currently on death row who have very similar "evidence"?

I've read all of the stories on this case and I have to disagree with you. The girl on the tape who said that "they had to make up a story to tell the investigators" wasn't Gell's girlfriend. She was the best friend of his girlfriend.
    If you read everything about this case it is the worst case of corrupt prosecution and LE I have ever read. The links to every story are given above
    by "cathieq." I shouldn't be shocked that LE refused to see that the two girls were lying with every breath they took. Crystal changed her story what 8 different times? Then the two girls decided that they needed to get a story together and stick to it. Anyone with half a brain would have been able to see through the two teenagers stories. The investigators and prosecutors determined not to see through 8 different stories. They choose not to turn over everything to the defense because they knew the case would never have gotten to trial. The expert who testified about the date of death wasn't given all of the information to base her opinion on. She later testified at the 2nd trial and was very angry because info was withheld which made it impossible for her to give a correct date of death.

I very rarely take the side of the defense but this case is horrific. I believe everyone should have a fair and honest trial. If a person is guilty then they should go to prison but there is no excuse for the prosecuting team to with hold evidence that can prove a person is innocent just so they can win a case. That whole team knew there was no way the accused could have murdered that man yet they didn't bat an eye in going right ahead and getting him convicted on the say so of two teenagers who are probably the ones who murdered that man. It's a sad day when LE is so darn corrupt.

As far as this new charge....I don't know. There isn't enough printed about it yet with the exception of Gell being good friends with the girl's parents. Some problems but they don't say what problems with who or where...and that she says Gell could be the father of her baby. After this farce of a trial...crooked prosecutors and investigators I'm going to withhold an opinion until we know more about the case.