Missing From (Country): USA
Age at Time of Disappearance: 39
Race: White
Height: 65 inches
Weight: 140 pounds
Hair Color: Lt. Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Complexion: Light
Identifying Characteristics: Tattoo of a "rose" on chest, tattoo of a "bear" on outer right ankle, partial with wire.
Clothing: Blue jeans, athletic shoes, blue jean jacket, carrying a purse with $80 cash.

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Unknown. Star was last seen in the evening hours in the vicinity of the 4900 block of Metropolitan Ave. in Kansas City, KS.

Investigative Agency:
Kansas City Police Department
Phone: (913) 596-3000
Investigative Case #: 99023525
NCIC #: M-200313971

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/articles/2...local/news1.txt

After 7 years, murder victim still missing
By CARMEN CARDINAL

Kansan Staff Writer

Star Boomer would have been 46 years old today. Her family, especially her sister, Cynthia Hurtie will remember her bright, quick smile. Boomer's son, now 10, is being raised by his grandparents in Spring Hill.

"We believe she was murdered on my birthday, Feb. 23, 1999, seven years ago," Cynthia Hurtie said on Tuesday. It took her 10 years to pay for her sister's funeral. Now she is working on purchasing a tombstone. Boomer has never had a proper funeral because her body has never been found.

Boomer was a patron at Uncle Mike's Bar, 49th and Metropolitan, when she allegedly got into a violent fight with a man.

"There were about 13 witnesses who saw her get knocked to the ground and beaten until she was unconscious," said Hurtie. "No one lifted a finger to help her."

That was the last time anyone saw her.

Two men were arrested and charged with second degree murder by District Attorney Nick Tomasic, but were later released and charges dismissed because witnesses did not come forth.

Hurtie hopes that perhaps some of the witnesses will reconsider and agree to testify.

"There are people who know what happened," she said. Evidence also disappeared according to Hurtie. She said that the police were unable to search a truck owned by one of the suspects. Another vehicle, owned by the bartending girlfriend of one of the alleged perpetrators, was found burned, Hurtie said.

"I can only wonder if they burned it to destroy evidence, or maybe it was an attempt to intimidate her," she said. "He married her and she could not testify against him."

"The Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the KCK Police Department are continuing the investigation," Hurtie said.

A $6,000 Governor's Reward was put into effect by Gov. Bill Graves. People with information can call the KCKPD homicide and robbery unit at 913-673-6010 or the KBI, 1-800-KS CRIME. Persons can also call 4740-TIPS. She is listed with the National Center for Missing Adults.

Boomer had gone to the tavern with her friend and roommate, Carolyn Marshall, Hurtie said. A local news story reported that the tavern was near their home. Marshall had a drink and headed home, planning to return in a few hours to pick up her roommate. When she arrived at the bar, she was told that Boomer had left with two men. Investigators said it was believed that Boomer was killed in the bar and her body was dumped elsewhere.

Boomer grew up not far from the bar. She had attended Turner High School and had dropped out but was studying for a GED when she disappeared. She was planning to move to Spring Hill to live with her parents until she could get back on her feet.

Hurtie said she does not know if Boomer knew her attacker well, but in a newspaper article, Marshall said she saw a man knock her down to the floor, jerking off her bar stool, while she was there. Marshall reportedly said she didn't think they even said anything to each other. The man was hustled out the back door of the bar. Boomer got up and dusted herself off and sat at the bar, according to Marshall.

"The whole thing is horrifying," Hurtie said. "I still pursue it. I go to the media as much as I can. It has affected us a lot. Star's boy is 10 years old now and he does pretty well, but all our family wants to know where Star is. We would like to have a funeral for her."

She said the alleged perpetrators are still in the area.

"I will continue to pursue this until my family finds justice and closure," Hurtie said. "She was a human being and does not deserve to be thrown away like trash."

Hurtie said she has tried psychics, including the famous Sylvia Brown, but was very disappointed. She is now using the services of a detective with a cadaver-sniffing dog in the area.

"I have searched the woods in that area," Hurtie said. She hopes that someday, something will turn up, or a witness can come forth. Hurtie is in the nursing business with a few home health patients.

"I can't sleep and it is hard for me to hold an 8 to 5 job," she said. "I have to have flexible time to continue to be devoted to this. I can't give up. I don't mean for this to be an obsession but I want justice for her."

Update

The reporter was able to contact Star's family and the info is no longer needed. She's heard some info from LE and is also in contact with Shon's attorney.

only one place i have found the shon pernice name been mentioned with this case and thats a page that was created on 27th jan
http://helpfindthelost.blogspot.com/

and when trying to send email to ask question to the addy listed Helpfindthelost@yahoo.com the email came back delivery failed... undeliverable bad addy.

i dont think the man needs help proving guilt (imo and many others he IS) but am sure we would all like to know if this latest findings are fact.

It would be cool if after all this time there is something that would lead to an answer in Star's case.

only one place i have found the shon pernice name been mentioned with this case and thats a page that was created on 27th jan
http://helpfindthelost.blogspot.com/

and when trying to send email to ask question to the addy listed Helpfindthelost@yahoo.com the email came back delivery failed... undeliverable bad addy.

i dont think the man needs help proving guilt (imo and many others he IS) but am sure we would all like to know if this latest findings are fact.

http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-story-pernice-boomer-013009,0,1799219.story

ty so very much for the link to tie all in together..

was worried at first that it was someone trying to add in names to send all off on a wild goose chase.

hope with the new leads that justice is served and both families find closure.

ty so very much for the link to tie all in together..

was worried at first that it was someone trying to add in names to send all off on a wild goose chase.

hope with the new leads that justice is served and both families find closure.

Thanks so much also.
Ive resubmitted the new email - and it was just a email error to start with...

could have been that addy was created several years ago when this case was new and purged because of inactivity?

hopefully now that they know addy wasnt working they will reactivate it or update the site with a working addy.

the addy i am referring to the Helpfindthelost@yahoo.com addy

just popped on quick to see if any new news so havent tried myself a second time to see if that addy has been possibly reactivated.

i sure hope the new lead will have the witnesses from before rethink things and come forward with what they saw before another innocent woman is victimized.

Originally posted by NRN:
Fair Use
Shon Pernice questioned in previous missing persons case
Jan. 30, 2009
KMBZ

Note Shon has never been charged or was a suspect but was the last to see Star.

http://www.kmbz.com/Shon-Pernice-que...person/3758907

Snip
KMBZ News has learned a Kansas City man was questioned in the disappearance of a woman almost 10 years ago. A source in the KCK Police Department says Shon Pernice was questioned in the disappearance of 48 year old Star Boomer. She's been missing since an altercation at a bar at 49th and Metropolitan in February of 1999. The source says Pernice was one of the last persons to see Boomer before she disappeared.

Click link for whole story

From the www.justiceforchandra.com site - interesting because it gives as source someone in the PD, which I did not catch in the FOX news report -
Originally posted by Boomer*Chick:

Hi all - this is my first post here - It is just horrible the way this whole story is unfolding- as far as the bar where star boomer was last seen- It was just a local watering hole back then as it is now. They have changed their name a couple of times in the last ten years - it was uncle mikes , then was changed to nobody's business . it has since changed again. I am praying for renee and her family- and know what they are going through, hopefully it will come to an end soon. below is a link to photos of where star was last seen - please take a look

http://www.slide.com/r/4R94IJl85z9uu...t_embedded_url

I brought these over from Renee's thread.

That "Shhhhh Nobody's Business" name the bar was changed to is very curious. I wonder how long after Star went missing was the name of the bar changed?

One thing I notice is if you drew a circle it would encompass the bar where Star was last seen, Independence where he worked, and Gladstone where his mother lives. This sounds like his "territory".

That "Shhhhh Nobody's Business" name the bar was changed to is very curious. I wonder how long after Star went missing was the name of the bar changed?
I don't put a lot of stock into bar names. I can see a couple of guys sitting around with beers coming up with a new name for their dive and it could have been just as easily named, "Couple of guys sitting with beer". ;)

In ten years, that bar could have changed owners multiple times which frequently changes the crowd. The same people who hung out there 10 years ago are not likely to be found there.

I think I heard the bar name was changed not long after Star went missing. I think that is very curious in that it seems almost a way to tell patrons to shut up...and not discuss Star. Just an idea...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back