WHIPPET missing Westminster Dog Show

scandi

Reaction score
The Whippet that was close to winning the dog show has run away, He's worth $150,000!

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/13881418.htm

Dog goes missing after Westminster showAssociated PressNEW YORK

"A dog that competed in the Westminster Kennel Club show this week escaped from its cage at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Wednesday and was believed to be on the loose in the surrounding area.
The dog, a whippet, broke free at about noon, said Tiffany Townsend, a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs area airports.
Port Authority police were working with the dog's owners to search the area where planes arrive and depart, she said. . . . ' More at link

Scandi

Oh my, I cant believe that dog is worth that much!

Poor doggie!! Would have to be so frightened with all of the action and noise :(

Me neither, but I watched that show last night, and I think he was either a runner up for best in that catagory, or one of the final dogs for Best In Show.

He was a lovely doggie all right ~ well face it, every one of them was very special! I just love those dog shows. I need to get a little doggie.

Scandi

michelle said:
Oh, yeah, a dog that made Westminster is worth that in stud fees alone. And the owners probably spent more than that getting him there.

Then again, mine are "pound puppies" are they're priceless to me.

scandi said:
The Whippet that was close to winning the dog show has run away, He's worth $150,000!

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/13881418.htm

Dog goes missing after Westminster showAssociated PressNEW YORK

"A dog that competed in the Westminster Kennel Club show this week escaped from its cage at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Wednesday and was believed to be on the loose in the surrounding area.
The dog, a whippet, broke free at about noon, said Tiffany Townsend, a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs area airports.
Port Authority police were working with the dog's owners to search the area where planes arrive and depart, she said. . . . ' More at link

Scandi
Anybody who knows what can and does happen to dogs on airplanes wouldn't fly one unless thay had to. The FAA doesn't even have to keep statistics on how many die, get lost or are injured, last I heard - there was a push to change that recently.
At least with this one being valuable and the case highly publicized, they probably won't shoot it like the did one in (I believe it was) Cincinnati that got loose - for fear it would cause a plane to wreck by running onto the runway

scandi said:
Me neither, but I watched that show last night, and I think he was either a runner up for best in that catagory, or one of the final dogs for Best In Show.

He was a lovely doggie all right ~ well face it, every one of them was very special! I just love those dog shows. I need to get a little doggie.

Scandi
They're a lot of responsability - much like having a toddler for 10-15 years. Remember, the ones in those shows have years of training and hours of grooming. But if you're up to it, check out Petfinder.com - there are a lot of wonderful dogs out there who are homeless through no fault of their own, all breeds, all sizes and ages. All 4 of my beautiful Miniature Schnauzers were either strays or dumped by previous owners for downright stupid reasons.

How neat SchnauserMom,

Do you think someone walked off with this dog knowing he was very valuable? Could be. It is so cold in NYC right now, and probably snow still on the ground. If he ran away I bet he is scared sh*tless!

How could this dog undo the latch on his cage? That doesn't make sense, does it? I mean I know he is smart, but would it even be possible is the question.

There is only the one article on it now ~ believe me I have looked. LOL But I found this article about a Whippet that did go to the show last night. I don't know if he's the righ dog. Maybe not as I don't remember all the spots. But it gives a lot of interesting info about Whippets!

http://www.hcnews.com/news/get-news.asp?id=11600&catid=3&cpg=get-news.asp

Scandi

ETA: When my 2 boys were in high school, Randy got a Dingo Dog. My goodness, he chewed everything up on a continual basis. It took me years to get over that! If I'd known that by nature they are chewers I'd have made Randy take him right back to where he got him. LOL

scandi said:
How neat SchnauserMom,

Do you think someone walked off with this dog knowing he was very valuable? Could be. It is so cold in NYC right now, and probably snow still on the ground. If he ran away I bet he is scared sh*tless!

How could this dog undo the latch on his cage? That doesn't make sense, does it? I mean I know he is smart, but would it even be possible is the question.

There is only the one article on it now ~ believe me I have looked. LOL But I found this article about a Whippet that did go to the show last night. I don't know if he's the righ dog. Maybe not as I don't remember all the spots. But it gives a lot of interesting info about Whippets!

http://www.hcnews.com/news/get-news.asp?id=11600&catid=3&cpg=get-news.asp

Scandi

ETA: When my 2 boys were in high school, Randy got a Dingo Dog. My goodness, he chewed everything up on a continual basis. It took me years to get over that! If I'd known that by nature they are chewers I'd have made Randy take him right back to where he got him. LOL
I don't know what happened, but nobody could do much with this dog stolen - without proof and it's papers, it's just another dog.
Crates can break, somone may have opened it to feed or water the dog, who knows... I think there are regulations as to the type of crate that you have to use on a plane, and I'm betting this dog had one that was top-of-the-line. Still, there are different types of latches, some easier to open than others - my agility dog can open a crate with a sliding bolt latch (like a "burgler bar" on a house door) and now that he's not crated during the day anymore, will still let his wild younger brother out sometimes. (Little brother has a paper-shredding fetish, so is still crated at age two - I'm hoping he'll outgrow it)

It's important to consider what a dog was bred for before taking one on as a pet - Working dogs like Border Collies need tons of room to run, rat killing terriers (like mine) usually aren't safe with small animals, toy breeds have tiny bladders and can't "hold it" if you work long hours, etc. A true Dingo, if that's what you had, is a wld animal and wouldn't be a good household pet, period. There are websites that have "Breed selector" programs - put in things like how much time to have to exercise the dog, how much time you're willing to spend grooming, etc, and it will recommend breeds that might suit your lifestyle. Also, you might find a nice dog who is housebroken and past the chewing stage at a shelter.

As for the poor baby in this story, I' picturing it being terrified by the sounds the planes make (ever stood on a runway?) and freezing in the 2 feet of snow with it's short hair. I pray they find it.

I'm going to wait until I buy a house to get my doggie so he or she has a nice yard to call its own. But thank you for the information. I love the Norfolk terrier, but if that breed has a small bladder, well, ummmm,I'd have to really think on that.

Did you see the promos on TV for this show last night? They had a dog that looked like a big Whippet with long silky hair that was spotted all over. His hair was long enough to blow in the wind. Well, he was sitting straight up on his haunches with his feet perfectly in front of his body looking at the camera with his hair blowing. It was a picture that would be a great painting I thought. And of course, with his stately demeanor and artistic coat of hair, I absolutely fell in love with him. I think he is quite expensive just by the looks of him!

Scandi

michelle said:
Only to the person who is willing to pay that much!! :p

scandi said:
I'm going to wait until I buy a house to get my doggie so he or she has a nice yard to call its own. But thank you for the information. I love the Norfolk terrier, but if that breed has a small bladder, well, ummmm,I'd have to really think on that.

Did you see the promos on TV for this show last night? They had a dog that looked like a big Whippet with long silky hair that was spotted all over. His hair was long enough to blow in the wind. Well, he was sitting straight up on his haunches with his feet perfectly in front of his body looking at the camera with his hair blowing. It was a picture that would be a great painting I thought. And of course, with his stately demeanor and artistic coat of hair, I absolutely fell in love with him. I think he is quite expensive just by the looks of him!

Scandi
We have a Norfolk and her bladder does quite well. She has gone 9 hours before, though she REALLY had to go as soon as we got home.
My Mom has a Silky Terrier and she only goes out 4-5 times a day/night total.

I missed the Westminster this year--anyone know who won the different breed catagories and which dog won BIS?
Edited to add: I read the article and see if was a bull terrier that won BIS.
Not one of my favorite breeds.

The Whippet gets very cold easily since they have next to no fat reserves and very short hair. I hope it is somewhere warm with a way to get water.
Poor little dog. :(

scandi said:

Scandi
I didn't see it - my Mom has it taped for me, so maybe I'll get to watch it this weekend. That sounds like an Afghan Hound - they are rare, but I once had a stray one come into my yard. I took him to a shelter, and nobody claimed him. They ended up sending him to an Afghan Hound rescue. I've not seen a spotted one. Check out www.akc.org and look at the sighthounds under the hound group - they should have pictures.

SchnauzerMom said:
I don't know what happened, but nobody could do much with this dog stolen - without proof and it's papers, it's just another dog.
Crates can break, somone may have opened it to feed or water the dog, who knows... I think there are regulations as to the type of crate that you have to use on a plane, and I'm betting this dog had one that was top-of-the-line. Still, there are different types of latches, some easier to open than others - my agility dog can open a crate with a sliding bolt latch (like a "burgler bar" on a house door) and now that he's not crated during the day anymore, will still let his wild younger brother out sometimes. (Little brother has a paper-shredding fetish, so is still crated at age two - I'm hoping he'll outgrow it)

It's important to consider what a dog was bred for before taking one on as a pet - Working dogs like Border Collies need tons of room to run, rat killing terriers (like mine) usually aren't safe with small animals, toy breeds have tiny bladders and can't "hold it" if you work long hours, etc. A true Dingo, if that's what you had, is a wld animal and wouldn't be a good household pet, period. There are websites that have "Breed selector" programs - put in things like how much time to have to exercise the dog, how much time you're willing to spend grooming, etc, and it will recommend breeds that might suit your lifestyle. Also, you might find a nice dog who is housebroken and past the chewing stage at a shelter.

As for the poor baby in this story, I' picturing it being terrified by the sounds the planes make (ever stood on a runway?) and freezing in the 2 feet of snow with it's short hair. I pray they find it.

My grandmother has or had (she died last year and left him to my aunt) a Bichon. Talk about high maintanence.

I know were talking about a dog but all I kept thinking when reading this thread was maybe this thread should be in the missing forum, lol. Poor puppy.

mjak

A similar situation happened with a greyhound show dog at the Philadelphia Airport some eyars ago. The dog escaped and ran (shot) out of the terminal. Sadly, they found its body a few days later on the nearby railroad tracks. It was estimated that it had been killed within hours of its escape. Poor thing was terrified, in an unfamiliar place, and inexperienced with the dangers of cars and other fast-moving vehicles.

SchnauzerMom said:
Anybody who knows what can and does happen to dogs on airplanes wouldn't fly one unless thay had to. The FAA doesn't even have to keep statistics on home many die, get lost or are injured, last I heard - there was a push to change that recently.
At least with this one being valuable and the case highly publicized, they probably won't shoot it like the did one in (I believe it was) Cincinnati that got loose - for fear it would cause a plane to wreck by running onto the runway
That's why I always pay extra and put my little bichons in their vinyl
carriers under the seat in front of me. Unfortunately, you can't do that
with larger dogs. Seriously, people should be able to buy a seat for their larger dogs, as long as they're restrained somehow.
I'm with you Schnauzermom!!!!!!!!!!

I heard on the news this morning that he was spotted running through the marshes near the airport. I hope they find him soon

Linda7NJ said:
I heard on the news this morning that he was spotted running through the marshes near the airport. I hope they find him soon
We would think that with daylight, and a helicopter, they would be able to find him.

Oh my the poor doggie. He's running around the marshes..wow. He is probably scared to death, not knowing where he is or he is having the time of his life. :D
Gosh, I hope the owners get him back safe and sounds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back