Crocodile Hunter could be in hot water

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) - Crocodile hunter Steve Irwin's honeymoon with the Australian public could well be over.

The television star and likely candidate for Australian of the Year honours was being compared to disgraced pop star Michael Jackson after he took his month-old son to his first crocodile feeding, a moment that was captured by television cameras and later broadcast.

Before a crowd of onlookers Friday, Irwin held his son Robert under one arm and dangled a piece of meat from the other in front of a four-metre crocodile which quickly snapped up the offering.

"Good boy Bob," Irwin said once the crocodile's jaws snapped shut, the tabloid Herald Sun reported.

Viewers jammed phone lines at Channel 7 and Channel 10, the two networks that broadcast the footage, expressing their outrage at Irwin's actions, news reports said.

The stunt drew comparisons with Michael Jackson dangling his baby son over a hotel balcony in Berlin in November 2002.

But Irwin defended his actions, saying his child was never in danger.

"I was in complete control of the crocodile. Robert was tucked right in my arm," said Irwin, the Herald Sun reported.

Full Story from CNEWS

Am I the only other one sickened by this? This baby should be taken away. How sick... Here croccy, here boy.... I know you can attack in less than 0.025 seconds but this human thinks he's quicker than you. EIY matey :croc: :croc: :croc: :croc:

LOL... I hear what you are saying, but I thing stevie would think that people who take their kids on the subway in NYC are in more danger.

I agree it was careless... thank god everything is okay

I always knew this guy was a *advertiser censored*.

After he fed the croc, he pretended to walk his kid accross the grass away from the croc.

As for his honeymoon with the Australian public being over...he never had one. The Americans are the only ones who watch him. He's not even on our TV sets.\

This stunt is certainly up there with Michael Jackson dangling his kid over a balcony.

I have to agree though, there are plenty of parents out there who risk their kids lives. Taking them on motorbikes, no seatbelts in cars...goes to show, you don't need a license to have a kid.

Aussie

His excuse was that he was making the baby crocodile savvy!!!!!
This guy drives me nuts but my 4 year old loves watching him so I guess that is his target audience as well as his mental age

:doh: Careless and ridiculous. Where was the mother, his wife? Because, bad as it sounds, I can see my own hubby pulling a stunt like this... not that we feed crocodiles, but when it comes to children men don't always use common sense as much as women do. I wonder if the wife was ok with this, if she was, they both need to realize YOU CANNOT NEVER HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER AN ANIMAL!!! :banghead: Just ask Sigfried and Roy. :rolleyes:

Hi babylove.. his wife was watching! afterwards he handed the baby over to her and she was smiling away!

Ok, just went and read the whole article....

His American wife Terri, who handed the baby over to Irwin in the enclosure and giggled at the spectacle, agreed.

"It was a wonderful sensory experience for him (the baby). He dug it," she said.

Ok, she is just as bad!!! :doh:

babylove said:
Ok, just went and read the whole article....
Ok, she is just as bad!!! :doh:

Yeah, its like those people who raise tigers in their bathrooms and they have the nerve to be surprised when it eats their toddler. :doh:

Its the "it can't happen to me" syndrome. :croc:

babylove said:
:doh: Careless and ridiculous. Where was the mother, his wife? Because, bad as it sounds, I can see my own hubby pulling a stunt like this... not that we feed crocodiles, but when it comes to children men don't always use common sense as much as women do. I wonder if the wife was ok with this, if she was, they both need to realize YOU CANNOT NEVER HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER AN ANIMAL!!! :banghead: Just ask Sigfried and Roy. :rolleyes:
I agree with you that it was a stupid male stunt. And I think it was a case of overconfidence on Irwin's part. But I also believe that if anything had happened He would have thrown himself in the croc's jaws to protect his son! People are making way too big a deal of it. The difference between him and MJ's stunt is if MJ had dropped the baby he couldn't do anything to save it!

:doh: I think it was a huge mistake on his part.. Dang that little 1-month old baby, looked just like the hunk of meat he was throwing to the CROC with the other hand..!! :croc:

WASN'T NECESSARY AT ALL TO HAVE THAT CHILD IN THERE..!! :razz: STUPID MOVE, CARELESS PARENT, COULD HAVE LET THE MOTHER HOLD IT AS THE DAD FEED THE CROC..!! :croc: HE IS ONLY 1MONTH OLD... I'M SURE HE WILL HAVE NO MEMORY OF THIS EVENT, EXCEPT WHEN DAD SHOW HIM THE TAPE..!! :doh:

I agree Piper1. I think this whole story is 'way overblown. This man has grown up around these animals. He knows them and knows their behaviors and personalities. Granted anything can happen which (as I say to my kids) is why we call them 'accidents' and not 'plans.' It probably wasn't the best judgement but I don't think any parent can look back and say they've never done anything that in hindsight might not have been the best idea. I felt sorry for him this morning on the Today Show. I also thought both Matt Lauer and Katie Curic acted like perfect prigs.

Our favourite Croc Hunter is on Larry King Live tonight (Tues Jan 6) to explain everything :doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back