School District Bans MYSPACE

We've updated our blockers to prevent students from visiting this site in our schools as well. Many educators weren't aware of this site until the recent media exposure.

I'm all for protecting the children but this just seems like a show of sorts or very naive on the school systems behalf. Myspace is just one of many in the cyber world. They need a way to id people by age on the internet to combat a problem like this. There are so many free web pages, online jpurnals, web communities that are identical to myspace that serve the same purpose and more of them popping up everyday. Myspace just happens to be very popular with young people. It's never a good idea to post pics and personal info about yourself on the web no matter what your age.

It has been a couple of years since my children were in high school. I imagine it is more difficult to block access to these sites.

Myspace accounts are being used by teenagers to promote things unhealthy for anyone let alone children. Also children gang up on another person, hack there password and put x rated links on their page. Myspace would have to look at evey photo or take dl numbers to know what age these kids really are so it is up to the adults to prevent access. Myspace has nothing to do with school. Even if a child is a super sleuther, they can wait til college to write a paper about crime and myspace.

Watch to see what happens though, they'll take their business elsewhere so to speak. Myspace is the popular choice right now but banning it won't fix the problem. My daughters have web pages on myspace too but it isn't the only one as well as several messenger services, journals, diaries, etc. Even aol has had personal pages and communities for years that let you put your pics and personal info out there if you want to.

I think the point is the computers at school are for 'school work,' ie research etc., not for socializing. I'm all for blocking access for myspace and any other such site from school computers.

JMHO
fran

fran said:
I think the point is the computers at school are for 'school work,' ie research etc., not for socializing. I'm all for blocking access for myspace and any other such site from school computers.

JMHO
fran

Exactly...in addition to that, the school system doesn't want to be, and shouldn't have to be, responsible for the things posted or said on these sites. If some you only knew what these CHILDREN were dabbling in on this site, it would make your hair turn gray.

WISCer said:
Exactly...in addition to that, the school system doesn't want to be, and shouldn't have to be, responsible for the things posted or said on these sites. If some you only knew what these CHILDREN were dabbling in on this site, it would make your hair turn gray.

You've got that right. I just read a recent story (linked below), about a mother taking action after her 12 yr old daughter elicited contact by two males in their twenties, using the library computer.

I was quite surprised that the awareness meeting for the parents is not scheduled until sometime in April -- almost two months away. A lot could happen to the children of naive, unsuspecting parents in two months.

There have been a lot of comments left by readers of the story. Many more than usual.

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2006/02/15/news/news02.txt

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back