Identified! SC - Darlington Co., WhtFem 112UFSC, 19-35, Aug'00 - Michelle Haggadone

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/112ufsc.html

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on August 3, 2000 near a rest stop off I-20 in Darlington County, South Carolina.
* Cause of Death appears to be strangulation
* Estimated time of death is a week to a month

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 19 - 27 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 120 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium brown hair.
* Dentals: Available. The victim had extensive dental work done to her teeth.

Case History
On August 3rd, 2000, an unidentified source indicated that decomposed human remains were observed near a rest stop off I-20 in Darlington County, SC.

http://www.wtvynews4.com/home/headlines/2331021.html

Authorities say it bares a striking resemblance to a woman whose picture may be found in the national missing person’s database.

Now, investigators must find out if the DNA sample from the Dothan Police Department coincides with the Darlington County Sheriff Department's sample

The victim is described as a white female, between the ages of 19 and 35, and 100 to 130 pounds.
Its interesting that in the article they have expanded the range from 19-27 to 19-35 and now have a weight range of 100-130 from the 120lbs previously reported.

http://www.doenetwork.org/nampn/cases/young_cynthia.html

Cynthia Jean Young

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

# Missing Since: February, 1999 from Dothan, Alabama
# Classification: Missing
# Date Of Birth: June 14, 1966
# Age: 33
# Height: 5'4"
# Weight: 150 lbs.
# Hair Color: Brown
# Eye Color: Hazel
# Race: White
# Gender: Female
# Case Number: M641457664

Details of Disappearance
Cynthia Jean Young was last seen at her residence in Dothan, Alabama in February, 1999. She may be in the Carolinas. Her family has filed missing person reports with the Dothan Police Department, and to this date no contact has been made with her.

All the (revised) stats match. What is interesting is that Cynthia disappeared in February - if this is her where was she from the time she disappeared till July (when Jane Doe was estimated to have died).

Note: There is no indication in the article that this is who they are talking about but the photo and stats are a close match.

Authorities have found a possible match in the search for the identity of a woman found dead along Interstate 20 nearly 6½ years ago, Darlington County Sheriff’s Lt. Robin Bryant said Thursday.

They think a reconstruction of the missing woman’s skull bears some resemblances to the photograph of a Dothan, Ala., woman missing since 1999, Bryant said.

The nose and chin features seem to have the most similarities, he said.

The sheriff’s office is trying to access the Alabama woman’s dental records and is attempting to extract DNA from a tooth belonging to the unidentified woman, he said. They also hope to get the missing woman’s DNA and compare the two DNA samples.

“We might have to go to the closest relative, but we’re trying to work all that out,” Bryant said.

Authorities found the unidentified woman’s body Aug. 3, 2000, at a rest stop at mile marker 129 on I-20 near the Lee County line.

The Bishopville Police Department originally received a 911 call about the body before discovering the body actually had been found in Darlington County.

The caller, who identified himself only as a truck driver, left the scene before authorities arrived, Bryant said.

Darlington County authorities found a woman’s body under a tree, badly decomposed and covered with pine straw. No items to identify the woman were found at the scene.

A week later, the sheriff’s office determined the woman was a homicide victim.

“Periodically, we get someone who e-mails us with a possible (lead) we need to look at” regarding the unidentified woman, Bryant said.

In September 2000, a forensic artist with the State Law Enforcement Division created a facial reconstruction of the woman in hopes that someone might recognize her.

Then-Darlington County Coroner Eldridge Norton held a funeral for her Jan. 5, 2001, in Hartsville’s Magnolia Cemetery.

The woman is described as Caucasian and between the ages of 19 and 35 at the time of her death. She weighed between 100 and 130 pounds, authorities said, and has a slight body frame.
http://www.morningnewsonline.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=FMN/MGArticle/FMN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834158182
Any one got any idea who it could be they give more description at the bottom of the article.I hope they do know.6 years is a long time for her family to wait for her to be found.

Not picking on you, Aussiegran, but just noting that when you (and others) post a story like this, PLEASE indicate the state from which it originates. I have no idea where Darlington, Bishopville, etc. are located. Even the link doesn't name the state.

Thanks,

Hoppy

The link is to the news in Florence, South Carolina.

I like that possible match. Height and weight are right as well as time and location. Christina was 17 when she disappeared. The UID is estimated to be between 19 and 35. I don't think that this difference would disqualify Christina.
My question is: Did the UID have a pierced tongue and navel? Her description doesn't mention that.
For both Christina and the UID, DNA is available. I wonder if they have already been checked.

I like that possible match. Height and weight are right as well as time and location. Christina was 17 when she disappeared. The UID is estimated to be between 19 and 35. I don't think that this difference would disqualify Christina.
My question is: Did the UID have a pierced tongue and navel? Her description doesn't mention that.
For both Christina and the UID, DNA is available. I wonder if they have already been checked.

I thought of that, too, but August in SC is very hot and humid. Maybe there wasn't much of her left?

I think it is a potential match! I looked in Namus to see if the UID is listed and she is not. Sometimes in Namus they have a list of rule outs...

I would submit it.

How about Jill Hernandez as a Possible Match to this UID?

Jill Hernandez
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hernandez_jill.html

hernandez_jill.jpg
2839489130045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Here is the DoeNet Link and the other reconstructions for the UID.

2491574290045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Vital Stats are within range.

The UID was located 42 days after JH's DLC (not far off of the 1-week to 1-month postmortem interval).

The UID was located 190 miles from where Jill disappeared. Considering that the remains were located at a highway rest-stop, the distance is not unreasonable.

Jill has an apparent overbite (or at least prominent teeth), and a strong chin. Although it is difficult to tell from a straight forward view, it doesn't appear that she has a "hooked" nose.

I left a voicemail message with Det. John McLeod of the Darlington County Sheriff's office to find out whether Jill Hernandez has been ruled-out, and to see whether he has a rule-out listing that he can make available to us.

How about Jill Hernandez as a Possible Match to this UID?

Jill Hernandez
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hernandez_jill.html

hernandez_jill.jpg
2839489130045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Here is the DoeNet Link and the other reconstructions for the UID.

2491574290045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Vital Stats are within range.

The UID was located 42 days after JH's DLC (not far off of the 1-week to 1-month postmortem interval).

The UID was located 190 miles from where Jill disappeared. Considering that the remains were located at a highway rest-stop, the distance is not unreasonable.

Jill has an apparent overbite (or at least prominent teeth), and a strong chin. Although it is difficult to tell from a straight forward view, it doesn't appear that she has a "hooked" nose.

It isn't the clearest picture, but the way the shade between her eyes (under where her bangs fall) looks, it wouldn't surprise me if her nose is hooked like that.

It isn't the clearest picture, but the way the shade between her eyes (under where her bangs fall) looks, it wouldn't surprise me if her nose is hooked like that.

After being surprised by Buckskin Girl's nose when seen in profile, I am not going to presume, based only on a straight-on view, that Jill doesn't have a prominent nose.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back