Man hasn't slept in 33 years

Jean

Former Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine not ever sleeping--I look forward to my snooze time!

Vietnam man handles three decades without sleep

Snips:

As songbirds awaken the early risers at dawn on the farm, one resident is already up; in fact, he never slept – not once in the past 33 years.

Sixty-four-year-old Thai Ngoc, known as Hai Ngoc, said he could not sleep at night after getting a fever in 1973, and has counted infinite numbers of sheep during more than 11,700 consecutive sleepless nights.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/features/?catid=10&newsid=12673

Not only can i not imagine not sleeping, i'm afraid i simply do not believe this story.

in fact, i'm willing to stick my neck out and say it is entirely and unreservedly impossible for a human being or an animal to not sleep for 33 years.

i would like to suggest he takes some kind of 'cap naps', perhaps not even closing his eyes during these naps.

otherwise, i'm stumped. :waitasec:

There is no way, no way in heck that I am going to "believe" this story.

It is "medically" impossible.........

Rats will die after 14 days with no sleep, but in the autopsy, they cannot find a cause of death.

The "human" record is 11 days without sleep and that was by a college student in a controlled environment.

Sleep is natural and necessary.....as a restorative function and an adaptive fuction.

So I find this story highly suspect......

I have the worst insomnia I've ever heard about and even I sleep about 3-4 hours a night.

Jeana,
Have you ever tried Lunesta? Miracle drug if you ask me! Of course not everyone benefits the same but if you have not tried it, it might be worth a shot.

Jeana (DP) said:
I have the worst insomnia I've ever heard about and even I sleep about 3-4 hours a night.

Shadow205 said:
Jeana,
Have you ever tried Lunesta? Miracle drug if you ask me! Of course not everyone benefits the same but if you have not tried it, it might be worth a shot.

I didn't have any luck with that. I take Ambien, which is the only reason I even sleep the few hours that I do. :confused:

I don't sleep well either and take Ambien. It worked great at first but I think my body has adjusted or something. I fall asleep but wake up and can't go back to sleep.

Jeana (DP) said:
I didn't have any luck with that. I take Ambien, which is the only reason I even sleep the few hours that I do. :confused:
Try Ambien CR (controlled release.) That will keep you asleep longer.

Dark Knight said:
Try Ambien CR (controlled release.) That will keep you asleep longer.

Funny you should mention that! I got my prescription for that on Jan. 31st and I just went to my doctor to get 10 days worth of the regular Ambien because it didn't work. They said when I get my refill I can ask for the regular Ambien again, but I NEED to get some sleep. That stuff didn't even make me tired at all. I think I need all the medication up front! :doh:

I have been doing more than his share of sleeping for him! :D

I find it hard to believe, too. I wish I could get up earlier in the morning and not be so tired all the time. If it is true - which again I doubt - then I want to know his secret. :) I don't want to NOT sleep, just sleep less and have more energy!

Jeana (DP) said:
Funny you should mention that! I got my prescription for that on Jan. 31st and I just went to my doctor to get 10 days worth of the regular Ambien because it didn't work. They said when I get my refill I can ask for the regular Ambien again, but I NEED to get some sleep. That stuff didn't even make me tired at all. I think I need all the medication up front! :doh:
Native Americans used to drink their own urine when they couldn't sleep due to the melatonin content. Just a thought. :crazy:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dark Knight said:
Native Americans used to drink their own urine when they couldn't sleep due to the melatonin content. Just a thought. :crazy:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dark Knight said:

Wow! Really? Let's see . . . nahhhhhhhh. I think I'll just stick to the Ambien. :rolleyes:

Yeah, no kidding, if I had the choice I would stick to RX's too.

I usually have the opposite problem, I get up pretty early and my mid afternon sometimes I feel I need a nap or a gallon of coffee.

But in the evening, I have a hard time staying awake just to get the things that are needed done.

I am a very, very, grumpy Cyberlaw when I am sleep deprived.........

I wish I could help those who suffer from Insomnia....really I do...

Dark Knight said:

Well, trapped people have done so to prevent dehydration and it saved their lives, but to sleep? Ach!

When I was in law school I had such terrible insomnia. Thank God, I got over it, it was awful. No way I believe anyone not sleeping for 33 years. :snooty: Physically impossible, I think. The guy must dose off with his eyes open at times or something.

Eve

Jeana (DP) said:

You should try Seroquel. It's an Anti-Psychotic but is also used for sleep disorders.

http://www.remedyfind.com/rem.asp?id=6005

Let me tell you.. if Seroquel doesn't put ya to sleep I don't know what will!

Jeana (DP) said:
Wow! Really? Let's see . . . nahhhhhhhh. I think I'll just stick to the Ambien. :rolleyes:
LOL! A guy tries to help....:p

What about taking a half dose of regular Ambien and a half dose of Ambien CR at the same time, so you got some of the up-front dose plus some of the time release dosage as well?

Hey Jeana....I think we hijacked this thread once we all decided that was a false story and now everyone is determined to help you get some zzzzzzzzzzzzs.

How but some alchohol? A few beers, or mixed drinks an hour before bedtime? Have you tried that.....I mean if no medicine works, heck, I'd try just about anything to get sleep if I couldn't sleep, exept the urine thing, ACK.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back