1254 users online (268 members and 986 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Speedskating---Davis-Hedrick feud

Davis-Hedrick feud, Parra's pain adds to 1,500m speedskate drama

TURIN, Italy (AFP) - A tense rivalry between US speedskaters Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick is set to flare again in the 1,500m final while another American, 2002 champion Derek Parra, makes an emotional title defence. Davis won 1,000m gold Saturday, a week after Hedrick took 5,000m gold. Hedrick set the world record of 1:42.78 in November, breaking Davis' mark, and owns the world record at 10,000m, Friday's concluding event.

"The good thing is I hold the world record in the last two races. All the pressure is on me," Hedrick said. "I'll be the favorite. I like that."

Davis opted out of the team pursuit event to prepare for the 1,000 and Hedrick's bid for a record-tying five golds ended in a team quarter-final loss, one that had Hedrick, 28, implying Davis, 23, was selfish and unpatriotic. "I thought it was important to race for my country," Hedrick said.

Davis fired back after becoming the first black athlete to win an individual Winter Olympic gold medal. "If the shoe was on the other foot, would Chad have skated team pursuit if it were before the 5,000? We'll never know," Davis said.

http://tinyurl.com/qeaxe

Both of the two athletes have done and said selfish thiings. But of course they are getting on the black one the most.

Then when he won the gold medal and he was interviewed, they said he didn't act happy enough. Black men can't win. If he would have been more animated they would have said he celebrated too much.

I'll probably get bashed for saying this but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_16
    Both of the two athletes have done and said selfish thiings. But of course they are getting on the black one the most.

Then when he won the gold medal and he was interviewed, they said he didn't act happy enough. Black men can't win. If he would have been more animated they would have said he celebrated too much.

No bashing from this corner. I totally agree with you.

To me, Chad Hedrick is saying the most trash. The reason he is unhappy, is that Davis eliminated his chance at another gold medal. He's being a very selfish individual. Davis has to do what is right for him. I'm hoping he wins the 1500.

Davis was angry/remote during his first interview, but he's come back around.

Chad won't let it go though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    To me, Chad Hedrick is saying the most trash. The reason he is unhappy, is that Davis eliminated his chance at another gold medal. He's being a very selfish individual. Davis has to do what is right for him. I'm hoping he wins the 1500.

Davis was angry/remote during his first interview, but he's come back around.

Chad won't let it go though.

Well said Buzz! That's what I was trying to find the words to say but couldn't do it as well as you. I agree 110%.

Thanks cinsbythesea and Buzzm1 for understanding what I was saying . I just wish ALL these guys would realize how fortunate they are to be there and be alive and healthy and put these things aside and be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by cinsbythesea

Well said Buzz! That's what I was trying to find the words to say but couldn't do it as well as you. I agree 110%.
    Thanks cinsbythesea and montan 16, I don't think Chad Hedrick has even the foggiest idea how much he has destroyed his own image in the eyes of millions of Americans. He acts as if he is right, but there is no being right on this stage. He's acting like a real azzhole, towards Shani Davis, and he's making himself into a real azzhole in our eyes. More power to Shani Davis; he's come a lot longer way than Chad Hedrick.

Did you guys watch the interview with Shani? I did... I watched the race and the interview. I was floored. He seemed like one ticked individual and he was totally annoyed for having been interviewed. I don't care if you are black, red, green, white or yellow I thought his interview totally sucked. And I for one was THRILLED for him! I was so let down. By the way... I don't care one bit about the rivalry... I am just commenting on the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Anngelique
    Did you guys watch the interview with Shani? I did... I watched the race and the interview. I was floored. He seemed like one ticked individual and he was totally annoyed for having been interviewed.
    SNIP
    I agree Anngelique; I think all of the grief Chad Hedrick, and others had been laying on him, spilled over during that interview, but later I saw him and he was very happy and thankful for being able to even compete in the Olympics. I've seen 3-4 different interviews with Hedrick after Davis's win, and he is spewing only vile venom at Davis; he's talking that he'll show Davis who is the best, because he holds the world record in the 1500M. He is one ugly American athlete. So if they race against each other in the 1500. watch out, it could possibly get uglier.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006
    4:00 PM (Turin time) Mens 1500m

7:00AM CA time, 10:00AM NY time

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by montana_16

No, I saw Davis's interview immediately after he won, and he looked pisssssssed!!!
    Also, I think he was selfish not to skate the team event, why couldn't he have done both? Being black has nothing to do with it. I think Hedrick would have skated both.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anngelique
    Did you guys watch the interview with Shani? I did... I watched the race and the interview. I was floored. He seemed like one ticked individual and he was totally annoyed for having been interviewed. I don't care if you are black, red, green, white or yellow I thought his interview totally sucked. And I for one was THRILLED for him! I was so let down. By the way... I don't care one bit about the rivalry... I am just commenting on the interview.
    I agree. I was floored by that interview. Even the lady interviewing him was at a loss for words as well as Bob Costa. She even asked him, "Shani, are you mad?" He said no he was just at a loss for words. He wouldn't even look at the woman.

I read an article on Shani in Time and it does seem like he has a chip on his shoulder...BUT...he has had to have an attitude to get where he is today. His mom though seems to buy right into that attitude and encourages it.
    The greatness is being able to watch the incredible skating or any athlete performing well...the tragedy is that they are people and some just aren't the kind of people we want as friends

lynie

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/tor...v=ap&type=lgns

An Italian won gold, Shani silver, Hedrick bronze. (I don't know how to link!)
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Whaddya know, I linked! Not sure how, though.....
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast