Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IA - Villisca Axe Murders of 1912

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    I agree, this is an interesting crime. Out of curiosity I looked up the family's census record -

1910 United States Federal Census
    about Josiah B Moore

Name: Josiah B Moore
    Age in 1910: 41
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
    Birthplace: Illinois
    Relation to Head of House: Head
    Father's Birth Place: Ireland
    Spouse's Name: Sara
    Home in 1910: Villisca Ward 3, Montgomery, Iowa
    Marital Status: Married
    Race: White

Household Members:
    Josiah B Moore 41
    Sara Moore 37
    Herman Moore 9
    Kathern Moore 8
    Boyd Moore 5
    Paul Moore 3

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    Thanks for the link, gaia. I was actually going to post that link last June and I didn't. I go there about once a week to see what new articles are there. Dr. Ed Epperly is the foremost authority on the Villisca murders. He has been researching them since 1955. I love the little bios he writes about people who might have been suspects or just people who were involved in some way, like the 2 guys who cleaned the house afterwards or Dona Jones, Senator Jones' daughter-in-law, who was suspected of having an affair with Joe Moore, one of the victims. The filmmakers, Kelly and Tammy Rundle, have a great website there at www.villiscamovie.com. There are others, but the Rundles have researched everything in detail and have enormous respect for the residents of Villisca, and it shows in the film. They didn't make the film for the shock value or paranormal aspects that some say exist. I've gotten to know them somewhat and still support their other films by writing reviews for amazon.com or the IMDb. They're really great people and, in my opinion, have the definitive website about the Villisca tragedy. But I do love that blog and all the articles on there. Thanks again.

I think it was you who recommended the documentary to me. It is really well done and not sensationalized at all. I think their website is great too. I haven't had the chance to poke around this blog as much as I would like yet.

I was flipping through the channels the other night and Haunting Evidence on TruTV was on and they were doing the episode in Villisca at the house. I think that show is really cheesy and don't really believe anything they say as the female has been outed as a fraud many times but it was still interesting just given the subject matter. Both of the psychics separately (supposedly)came to the conclusion they were murders-for-hire and the person who hired them was .........(ER my memory) the older, wealthy man. I am sure you know who I am talking about. I could just look it up if I weren't so lazy!
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    I think it was you who recommended the documentary to me. It is really well done and not sensationalized at all. I think their website is great too. I haven't had the chance to poke around this blog as much as I would like yet.

I was flipping through the channels the other night and Haunting Evidence on TruTV was on and they were doing the episode in Villisca at the house. I think that show is really cheesy and don't really believe anything they say as the female has been outed as a fraud many times but it was still interesting just given the subject matter. Both of the psychics separately (supposedly)came to the conclusion they were murders-for-hire and the person who hired them was .........(ER my memory) the older, wealthy man. I am sure you know who I am talking about. I could just look it up if I weren't so lazy!
    Yes, it was me who recommended the documentary. I thought it was very well done, and I try to promote it for the filmmakers whenever I can!

I saw where that episode of Haunting Evidence was going to be on the other night too. I didn't watch it again. I agree, I don't think the show is credible at all. I watched all the episodes when it first came on but I noticed not one of the cases they took on was ever solved! I did see the Villisca episode the first time and I think it was Senator Frank Jones who the trio on the show said hired someone to do the murders. There was some bad blood between Senator Jones and the murdered man, Josiah Moore. Moore used to work for Jones in his implement store, but left to start his own business, which ironically was just across the street from Jones' store. Joe Moore also took the lucrative John Deere contract with him when he opened his shop. That coupled with the fact that Joe was allegedly having an affair with the Senator's daughter-in-law was the reason part of the town suspected that Jones hired someone to kill the Moore family and the Stillinger girls. I don't think Jones had anything to do with the murders but some of the townspeople did back then, and I think it was just a convenient conclusion for the psychics on Haunting Evidence to come to.
    Last edited by MaryLiz; 11-04-2009 at 10:35 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaryLiz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    Yes, it was me who recommended the documentary. I thought it was very well done, and I try to promote it for the filmmakers whenever I can!

I saw where that episode of Haunting Evidence was going to be on the other night too. I didn't watch it again. I agree, I don't think the show is credible at all. I watched all the episodes when it first came on but I noticed not one of the cases they took on was ever solved! I did see the Villisca episode the first time and I think it was Senator Frank Jones who the trio on the show said hired someone to do the murders. There was some bad blood between Senator Jones and the murdered man, Josiah Moore. Moore used to work for Jones in his implement store, but left to start his own business, which ironically was just across the street from Jones' store. Joe Moore also took the lucrative John Deere contract with him when he opened his shop. That coupled with the fact that Joe was allegedly having an affair with the Senator's daughter-in-law was the reason part of the town suspected that Jones hired someone to kill the Moore family and the Stillinger girls. I don't think Jones had anything to do with the murders but some of the townspeople did back then, and I think it was just a convenient conclusion for the psychics on Haunting Evidence to come to.

I have been so interested in these murders. I have read everthing I could get my hands on, e.g., coroner's inquest, books, Federal Census data, and etc.

Based upon my research, I concluded that Martin Luther Kellums ought to be a leading person of interest for being the perp. He seemed so obvious to me, but it seems no one, including the authorities investigating the murder, ever gave him a thought. That is to say, except for the Stillinger family.

If you read the transcript of Mr. Stillinger's testimony during the coroner's inquest, his family and him were clearly suspicious of Kellums being the murderer. If you read said transcript closely, Mr. Stillinger's testimony regarding Kellums seems like an ominous foreboding of the murder.

Also, while I was researching information regarding the crime scene, I got the strong impression that the murderer had some kind of problem with his vision. Later, I reviewed Kellums' draft card for WWI, and the Army Sergeant noted on the draft card that kellums had a "defective right eye."

Do you know if Kellums was ever on anybody's list of suspects? If not, do you know why?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to del rio For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by del rio View Post
    I have been so interested in these murders. I have read everthing I could get my hands on, e.g., coroner's inquest, books, Federal Census data, and etc.

Based upon my research, I concluded that Martin Luther Kellums ought to be a leading person of interest for being the perp. He seemed so obvious to me, but it seems no one, including the authorities investigating the murder, ever gave him a thought. That is to say, except for the Stillinger family.

If you read the transcript of Mr. Stillinger's testimony during the coroner's inquest, his family and him were clearly suspicious of Kellums being the murderer. If you read said transcript closely, Mr. Stillinger's testimony regarding Kellums seems like an ominous foreboding of the murder.

Also, while I was researching information regarding the crime scene, I got the strong impression that the murderer had some kind of problem with his vision. Later, I reviewed Kellums' draft card for WWI, and the Army Sergeant noted on the draft card that kellums had a "defective right eye."

Do you know if Kellums was ever on anybody's list of suspects? If not, do you know why?
    I can't remember reading about Kellums at all. Of course, it's been a while since I read through all the transcripts and everything else. I sent a message to Dr. Ed Epperly, who is the foremost authority on the Villisca murders. He's been investigating and researching the case since 1955. I'll let you know what he says when he gets back to me. Thanks for your interest in the case.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaryLiz For This Useful Post:

Here is what Dr. Epperly had to say about Kellums:

"All we know about Kellums came from Joe Stillinger's testimony before the coroner's inquest. He was never a serious suspect. He came to work as a hired man for Joe on May15 1912 and left on the 18th. Joe paid him $5.50. He said he was giong to Burlington Iowa to get some clothes and would be back on Monday but he never returned. Joe thought he only wanted to earn enough to get to Burlington. There was no reason to suspect him. In fact if he did the killing it would have been out of a hatred of Joe but he would have had no way of knowing the girls were going to be at the Moore's that night since they didn't decide that until about 6:00 p. m. "

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaryLiz For This Useful Post:

Here is a thread already started on this case in the Cold Case Section.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...light=Villisca

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MaryLiz For This Useful Post:

Remembering the six members of the Moore family and the two Stillinger girls who were murdered 99 years ago today on June 10, 1912, in Villisca, Iowa. Prayers for the family members still affected by this horrible, unsolved tragedy.

www.villiscamovie.com
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MaryLiz For This Useful Post:

a long and interesting Salon.com piece:

Blood, gore, tourism: The ax murderer who saved a small town
    100 years ago, someone killed 8 people in an Iowa home. Can unsolved brutality revive a dying town?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Today is the 100th anniversary and the Omaha World Herald had a series of articles about the case, suspects, etc:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012061...sca-ax-murders

All well done.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for bumping this up.

The Villisca Axe House, as it is now called, offers tours and also allows guests to stay overnight for $400 per night.

Would you want to pay that much to stay in such a place??

People who have stayed overnight have heard voices, screams, doors shutting, etc. The caretaker at the Villisca Cemetery also reports mysterious noises and sightings of people who weren't there (ghosts, supposedly). Whether they are the ghosts of the murder victims or just random ghosts is unclear from the article I read.

Also, a lot of "ghost hunters" love the house because there is a lot of "activity" there.

I just find this gruesome.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    Thanks for bumping this up.

The Villisca Axe House, as it is now called, offers tours and also allows guests to stay overnight for $400 per night.

Would you want to pay that much to stay in such a place??

People who have stayed overnight have heard voices, screams, doors shutting, etc. The caretaker at the Villisca Cemetery also reports mysterious noises and sightings of people who weren't there (ghosts, supposedly). Whether they are the ghosts of the murder victims or just random ghosts is unclear from the article I read.

Also, a lot of "ghost hunters" love the house because there is a lot of "activity" there.

I just find this gruesome.
    I don't have a link to it but there is a YouTube video of a couple young people from Wisconsin spending the night in the house; they allegedly are with some psychic research group. At one point, in response to something they felt was thretatening, one of them was shouting '******' at the alleged angry spirit. That's when I stopped watching. Hope they got their $400 worth. They came across as a couple of frat boys out on a lark.

You'd have to pay ME a lot more than that to spend a night there, and I'd leave the lights on.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

It is one of the few mass murder cases that is unsolved even 100 years later.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

27. The Following User Says Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't want to stay in any home where small children were so viciously murdered. That is awful.

A very fascinating case though, I had not heard of it before and thank you all for posting the links for reading.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy1975 For This Useful Post:

We did stay in the house over night. At least until 5 AM. They say about 4 AM (which is when I felt like it was time to go) people have an overwhelming urge to leave. I can't say it was because of fear though. I just had a strong urge to leave. Felt like going home to bed.

My sister-in-law, my step-daughter, my daughter, and I are all very interested in this case and watched the documentary several times. I have had some interesting paranormal experiences over my life time so we decided to see if we could get any information, knowing full well that we would likely not find out a darn thing that anyone else hadn't already expereienced.

My daughter and my niece were the youngest there, ages 14 and 15, and they had the most luck communicating with allegedly the youngest boy. They would ask him if he could make different colors of lights light up on our meter...and he did. This isn't something that can be done manually.

It wasn't creepy so much as it was sad. None of us planned on sleeping. My sis-in-law and I are 3rd shift workers, and her hubby is a 2nd shift worker, so we are used to being up all night.

When I was the girls' ages I would have been terrified to do something like that, but they were eager and even left me without a flashlight to go exploring . (The house has been restored to it's original state...no running water or electricity.) I was worried about after effects but they are 17 and 18 now and no trauma.

My daughter has expressed interest in studying criminology, or forensic science.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wallflower67 For This Useful Post:

Hello.
    Ive only recently heard of this particular crime (a few days ago) .Intriguing. Ive ordered the dvd "living with the mystery" and hope its as good as reviewers say.One reviewer wrote it was the best crime documentary he had ever seen....guess I ll find that out when it arrives.From the little I ve read of the case it appears a Serial killer was responsible both for the Villisca murders and several other similar cases around the time frame. Seems the police didnt see the connection,but then again they might have had more information about various issues involved. By the way saw a interview with a guy who has researched the murders for 50 years last night. Its on facebook CSI O maha if nobody has seen it.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to dougie For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for posting all this information. It kept me away from housework for another day LOL.

I think I have DH talked in to going to the house next week as it's only 2 1/2 hours from us. I want to see the movie first so we have it on our queue.

Very interesting articles!
    All posts are my opinion only unless otherwise stated.
    Thanks!!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Myvice For This Useful Post:

Finally got round to watching the documentary.I wasnt too impressed.Really the content just highlighted the crass stupidity of the general population ,then as now, as regards the accusations against the rival businessman.
    It would seem ,beyond reasonable doubt ,just who the culprit was,pretty obvious really.Then of course came the cottage industry business that frequently grows around events such as these.......haunted houses, visitations by the dead victims etc ad nauseum....why do people believe this tripe I ask myself.
    Labelled as the "best historic true crime documentary ever" ......well it wasnt. Indeed far from it.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to dougie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dougie View Post
    Finally got round to watching the documentary.I wasnt too impressed.Really the content just highlighted the crass stupidity of the general population ,then as now, as regards the accusations against the rival businessman.
    It would seem ,beyond reasonable doubt ,just who the culprit was,pretty obvious really.Then of course came the cottage industry business that frequently grows around events such as these.......haunted houses, visitations by the dead victims etc ad nauseum....why do people believe this tripe I ask myself.
    Labelled as the "best historic true crime documentary ever" ......well it wasnt. Indeed far from it.
    I wanted to watch this program because of family connections to Villisca during that era but after 60 seconds I changed the channel. When will producers learn that people pay good money for HD televisions because they want the best picture available on a home screen. We pay exorbitant cable or satellite bills because we want high-quality programming. Watching fuzzy images that jump around and flashing lights that make me nauseous and blur the scenes get on my last nerve. The facts of this case if put in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing should make an excellent show. This one (and a lot of other so-called "true crime shows) have been turned into parodies for the last few years. The show was a farce.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    I don't remember if I viewed this production on-line or if I just saw a preview but I had a positive take on it from what I saw. The film did have limited play in theaters. There is also a fictional film that was "inspired by" the case.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    I don't remember if I viewed this production on-line or if I just saw a preview but I had a positive take on it from what I saw. The film did have limited play in theaters. There is also a fictional film that was "inspired by" the case.
    What I saw on tv was a regular program on one of the history and/or crime channels. I can't remember which channel. The program's focus was on the supernatural happenings that now go on in the house with brief mentions of the facts up to and including the murders. There were lots of ethereal lights, flashing lights, grainy shots, etc. The story should have been good enough not to need all the "props" and hocus-pocus.

Just watched Vallisca- living with a mystery.

I enjoyed the documentary but we have decided not to go to the house. I hadn't thought of descendants still living in the town and how that might make them feel.

But many thanks to all that posted info on this atrocity. An interesting read.
    All posts are my opinion only unless otherwise stated.
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by BOESP View Post
    What I saw on tv was a regular program on one of the history and/or crime channels. I can't remember which channel. The program's focus was on the supernatural happenings that now go on in the house with brief mentions of the facts up to and including the murders. There were lots of ethereal lights, flashing lights, grainy shots, etc. The story should have been good enough not to need all the "props" and hocus-pocus.
    Yes I quite agree,once the "hocus pocus" and "things that go bump in the night" begin ......I switch off,or at best ,fall asleep.
    There plainly was a story to be told,though I feel the identity 0f the murderer isnt much of a mystery.I would be more impressed perhaps if these documentary /film makers would stop treating the viewers as if they possessed the combined I.Q of an orange,and merely dealt in facts ,cutting out the B.S and getting to the relevant issues in the process.
    The last impressive crime documentary I can remember right now was "Death on the staircase" ,though at 7 and a half hours long its a bit of a marathon ..........Oh of course,there was also "capturing the friedmans" ,if that is the correct title.......Be glad to hear of any other docs anybody on the forum can reccommend.
    regards

43. The Following User Says Thank You to dougie For This Useful Post:

Sorry if this has already been shared but I don't think it has. The foremost authority on the Murders.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmeXS2Mu5Ec"]CSI Iowa w/ guest Dr. Ed Epperly - The Villisca Axe Murders - YouTube[/ame]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12