FL FL/TX/CA /NH CHRISTOPHER WILDER, the "Beauty Queen Killer, 1980-84

shadowangel

Black cats consider me unlucky.
Reaction score
I have been researching the criminal career of serial killer Christopher Wilder in connection to a case, and have come across the same report repeatedly. Several sets of remains were purportedly found on property next to that owned by Wilder prior to his death in April of '84. Wilder had a substantial estate in Boynton Beach, Florida, in the late '70s and early '80s.
Some of the reports indicate at least two seperate sets of remains, both female...One set had apparently been there several years, the other was more recent. One of the reports is from Crime Library, which I consider a fairly reliable site.

I have searched the internet for more information on these remains, but can't find anything. Though there are literally dozens of articles on Wilder in the archives, none mention these remains. There are no reports of reconstructions ever having been completed on the remains, if they in fact exist. Considering the number of females reported missing in Florida during Wilder's time there, I am surprised that more was not done in reference to these remains. Among these young ladies are Tammi Lynn Leppert, Mary Optiz, and Colleen Orbson-all considered possible victims of Wilder's.

I have ordered two books that chronicle Wilder's life...In the meantime, if anyone knows of anything related to these reported remains, plese let me know.

Shadowangel,
I have been interested in Wilder for a long time due to some parallels in his criminal career with my sister's murderer. (Racing fan, frequented Florida, rapist). I read an account on him one time in a book, I believe it was called Encyclopedia of Serial Killers and it gave good information on when he was incarcerated, when he was in the country, out of the country etc. I'll see if I can get my hands on that and post some of the info.

Hi
I am Tammy lynn Lepperts sister.They could never link Christopher Bernard Wilder to my sister.They never considered him a strong suspect.I do still look for his victims and look for tammy.I am very interested in this Jane Doe found.Did you find out any more on this unidentified Jane Doe.can you and tell me.

Where?What county and year was she found.I heard what you heard too.Anything at all you can tell me about this Jane doe please tell me ok?

thankyou
suzanne

Any thoughts about Wilder being responsible for this girl's murder?

-------------------------------------------------------
DNA links remains found in Keys in 1976 to Boca teen August 26, 2004
By: By Neil Santaniello-Staff Writer
Sun Sentinel
DNA helped solve the mystery, said Sheriff Rick Roth, in a prepared release. "New technologies, better networking between law enforcement databases and a caring family have allowed us to finally identify this body as that of Stephanie Sempell," said Roth, who was the original investigating detective on the case. "This investigation is still active, and now that we have an identification, we hope we can go on to find out why Stephanie was found dead on Grassy Key 28 years ago."

Here's what Becky Herrin, spokeswoman for the Monroe Sheriff's Office, said happened in December 1976:

Then-Detective Roth was dispatched to investigate reports of human remains found on Grassy Key, near an area called the "rock pit" at the 55.5 Mile Marker on U.S. 1.

He found the bones scattered in a heavily wooded area. The remains were partially covered by Spanish moss, leafy debris and vines, and were judged to have been there for months.

The only clothing found at the site was a black T-shirt. It was knotted in such a way that Detective Roth believed it had been tied around the victim's head for some unknown reason, perhaps as a blindfold. Hair was found tangled in the knot. On the T-shirt was a colorful depiction of a Tiffany lamp.

The remains had been reported by a camper from Lake Worth, who said he and a friend had recently stayed in the area. He told deputies they were approached by a "hippie-type" man who offered to show them a human skeleton for a quarter. The camper described where the body was. Using the camper's directions, detectives quickly found the bones near Gaines Rock Pit.

The bones were photographed in place, then collected. The medical examiner at the time, Dr. A. J. Fernandez, found no signs of violent death and the cause of death was classified as unknown.

But Detective Roth, remembering the knotted T-shirt, said he always suspected foul play.

Dental records tried to compare the body to law enforcement reports of missing women from across the country, but failed and for the next two decades the bones sat untouched.

In November of 2001, they became news again. The mother of a girl who went missing in 1974 in the Keys became convinced the bones belonged to her daughter.

At her insistence, detectives took DNA samples from the mother and tried to match them with DNA extracted from the bones found on Grassy Key. The tests failed.

Still, the Grassy Key DNA test was entered into the FBI's Mitochondrial DNA Missing Person Database, Unit II, in Quantico, Va., in the hopes that sometime in the future the database would help identify the victim.

The identification of the victim would not have been possible had her family not followed up with a simple phone call.

In 1997, Kim Quinn, of New York, the sister of a Boca Raton girl missing since 1976, began looking into the status of her sister's case. Her younger sister, Stephanie Sempell, was a chronic runaway who was last seen in March 1976. She had told her mother she was going to the Keys with friends. She never returned.

The family says they reported her missing, but for some unknown reason, there is no record of that report. Because there was no official missing person report, her name and description was never entered into a database where a comparisonwould have been possible.

As a result of Quinn's inquiries, Sempell's data was finally entered into the system. Eventually, the database matched that missing person report with the Keys case from 1976.

"Gerry Nance from the Center for Missing and Exploited Children called Detective James Norman in December of 2003 and said he had a possible hit on the Grassy Key case. We already had the DNA from the bones entered in the FBI DNA database. At that point, the mother of Stephanie Sempell was contacted for a sample of her DNA for comparison," recalled Detective Sgt. Patricia Dally, who heads up MSO's Homicide Division.

Jim Giumenta, the Cold Case detective for Palm Beach County and FBI Agent Chuck Wilcox helped obtain the DNA from the mother.

An analysis quickly concluded the Grassy Key bones were the remains of Stephanie Sempell.

What now?

Detectives hope that someone somewhere will see the picture of Stephanie, hear the story and call with information about the case. To date, no one who has been questioned in the case can definitively say who she was traveling with. Detectives would like to talk to those mysterious traveling companions. They are also hoping friends may remember something significant.

"Somebody knows her and knows what happened to her back in 1976," Detective Sgt. Dally said. "We want that person, or those people, to call us. A young girl lost her life, and both she and her family deserve to have some type of explanation for that. We'd like to give it to them."

Source Information:

Sun Sentinel
doenetwork.org

There were no remains found in or around Christopher Wilders home/property in Boynton Beach. I do know that remains of 3 or 4 bodies have been found in the upper Florida Keys since Wilders death that as far as I know have not been identified.

CSIBBPD
sfpr@bellsouth.net

shadowangel said:
I have been researching the criminal career of serial killer Christopher Wilder in connection to a case, and have come across the same report repeatedly. Several sets of remains were purportedly found on property next to that owned by Wilder prior to his death in April of '84. Wilder had a substantial estate in Boynton Beach, Florida, in the late '70s and early '80s.
Some of the reports indicate at least two seperate sets of remains, both female...One set had apparently been there several years, the other was more recent. One of the reports is from Crime Library, which I consider a fairly reliable site.

I have searched the internet for more information on these remains, but can't find anything. Though there are literally dozens of articles on Wilder in the archives, none mention these remains. There are no reports of reconstructions ever having been completed on the remains, if they in fact exist.
Another poster mentions reading about the remains in "The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers" by Michael Newton. Here's what it says about the remains:
"During 1982, skeletal remains of unidentified women were unearthed on two separate occasions near property owned by Wilder in Loxahatchee. One victim had been dead for several years, the other for a period of months."

Not much info, but that's what there is. Hope it helps.

hi

There were no remains found in or around Christopher Wilders home/property in Boynton Beach. I do know that remains of 3 or 4 bodies have been found in the upper Florida Keys since Wilders death that as far as I know have not been identified.

CSIBBPD
sfpr@bellsouth.net

May I please ask do you know any more on this?

suzanne

Hi all,
I'm familiar with the Wilder case and Palm Beach county. To my knowledge, as someone mentioned here earlier, there have been no remains found near Wilder's estate. In fact, it's not really an estate, just a regular old Florida-style house that is now owned by a retired couple that apparently has no idea of the history behind their home.
Anyway... there have been several cases since Wilder's death of remains being unearthed in nearby neighborhoods, mainly Loxahatchee, but those unidentified remains appear to be linked to the 80's drug wars.
Hope this helps... tho I see I'm several months late.

Hi,
I was almost a victim of Wilder. I was a model working for an agency in Ft. Lauderdale. After a "cattle call" at the agency and Wilder looking over approx. 50 girls he chose me for his photo shoot.
To make a long story short and hopefully to add a new place of search for you.
The shoot took place at Boca West in Boca Raton, FL.
He and I were the only people there for the entire day.
The place was under new construction and there were model homes/town homes built and being built along with ordered ones I am sure.
Anyway...
After many hours of being with him in one of these model town homes he packed me up and we got into his car and he drove a short way to a wooded boardwalk. This boardwalk is in Boca West.
He took me there to do some more shots.....
I knew something was not right.
I am not going to go into all the details in this post, but at the end of the boardwalk, was a large wooded forest area. In that place...at that moment...I felt like there were bodies buried out there. That flashed into my head right then when I was with him and I though for a second" Am I crazy?"
After Wilder was dead I worked with an FBI agent in the Boca West development and took him to the boardwalk area as well.
I have NO idea if the FBI looked for bodies in the woods there at the boardwalk or ANY other areas of Boca West.
When I was with Wilder he showed me a picture of a girl, that he told me was my "competition". That it was going to be either her or me for "the job".
The girl looked like she was 11-15 years of age, shortish reddish hair with fair skin. She did not look like a model at all. She may have even had freckles on her face.

It is not much, but hopefully it may help.

Hi
I believe you.do you know the name of the modeling agency?Do you have a link to where this wooded board walk is and more about it.Perserve?recreation area????

suzanne

Suzanne,
This was 1981 or 82 and Boca West was just being built. It was a brand new development. There was land cleared and lots of dirt, new roads and a few new buildings.
The boardwalk was a nature hammock. I do not know if there is more than on in Boca West today or not. You would have to check. I did a google map on it and I only saw one.
The name of the modeling agency was Models Plus on Oakland park and Federal Hwy. My agent and the owner's name was Brad Davis.
He really thought that Wilder was a legitimate person working for BMW, searching for a model.
Apparently Wilder was a contractor on that site and that he why he had access to it. Who know how long he had been there with access!
It always bothered me that I had never heard of ANYTHING associated with Wilder and Boca West in the news. I just figured that I was there with the FBI and assumed that if they found something, then it would be in the news. When it wasn't, well, sometimes I wondered if they even looked. I had to feel they did. I mean if they didn't then they did not do a good job investigating. Especially since Wilder had free access to Boca West!

Hi
Thankyou for writting me back.What exactly is a nature Hammock?Do you have a link to it for a picture of it?Was there a beach at it or where cars can park buildings ect....

suzanne

that must have been scary out there alone with him and then in the end at the board walk wow it must have been scary. and then to have to get away from him hoping he wont run after me and such. creepy

Reading this made my skin crawl. I've followed Christopher Bernard Wilder's story for a long time. I wish I still had the paperback book that went into great detail about his crimes, and the FBI's chase of him across the country.

Rview, I thank you so much for posting here. How unbelievably scary your ordeal must have been!

Suzanne, my heart continues to break for you. I hope that one day you find your sister. I'm sure that because of your love and devotion, she's become a special case for others, like she has with me.

CBW came through my city on his cross-country murder spree. The victim here was abducted from a mall, then held in a motel in Bainbridge, GA. She was able to escape him, thank goodness.

Rview, do you have any idea whether or not there were other girls like you that were able to get away from him? You've told us a great deal, even with having (and we understand) to leave out the details. Did the law enforcement that spoke with you ever allude to others?

Suzanne, Could you please post the pic's of your sister again that you where trying to id the area they where taken. Maybe rviewer could take a look and see if it looks like this area from what she remembers.

Hi Suzanne,

The trees in this picture look like two Norfolk Island Pines, a, Yucca, a citrus tree probably an orange, tangerine or tangelo, on the left looks like a Silk Oak. The yellow flowering tree looks like a Yellow Tabebuia, and on the far right it could be a Laurel Oak. These plants have all be planted and do not grow wild. These plants prefer southern Florida. They are not cold tolerant.
It looks like they are in a residential yard and probably planted by the owner.
So, South Florida for sure!

The other picture with your sister in it and a tree behind her that is blurred, this tree also looks like a Norfolk Island Pine.

If you have any other pictures, put them here and I will do my best to help.

When I was in Boca West all I saw was New and under construction. If there were older residential areas within Boca WestI was not aware of them. The trees look like they are at least 7-12 years of age.
Those type of plantings in people's yards are pretty common in the older South Florida areas. Any housing development or residential neighborhood in Boca or any of the surrounding cities or towns could have these plants.
I have seen yards with these in them from Boca to Miami. Very common unfortunately. That is why I would like to be able to see more pictures.
Never know what clues they may hide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back